Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Brachioplasty - advice?

Hi. I'm in CT and I just had this procedure done at the beginning of June. It's the fourth summer of post-Band cosmetic "work" for Excess skin removal after losing 100 pounds since 2003. I undertook none of this lightly. 2007 was a TT, 2008 was a breast lift, 2009 was a thigh lift, and this time was brachioplasty with a thigh revision. I used the same CT surgeon for all of the procedures. I am a major whiner and right now I'm still whining about this one. :biggrin: But in general I've been pleased with the results from my other procedures and I hope for similar results with this one. Right now, it's still a little rough going. If you would like more details, and more specifics on the surgeon (facility, costs, etc.), please PM me.

WOW your arms look GREAT!!!!!! Since you're about a year out from brachioplasty do you have any recent pix? I am worried about the scar... but in my mind I either have stretch marks and really large hideous arms or I have beautiful sized arms with no bat wings and one scar! AND I would finally wear tank tops with NO sweater top thing lol.

Hi, I am sorry I do not have any pics from recently as it is very hard to get the scar to show.

Now - half the scar is very very pale (the armpit end) and the elbow end is a pink line. They say it takes 12-18mths for the scar to go but I also have a problem massaging my right arm as I have somethin wrong with my left hand.

I did read though that if you keep that paper tape type stuff the surgeon uses on for 8 weeks post op that the scar comes out far flatter and better - I am testing this theory on my latest surgery and it really HAS made the scars look fab - Wish I had known this a year ago. So if you keep taped up for a while with micropore tape - You should heal faster. I read that on this site - The Doc said ''Also, compression works - this is why many people notice that the scars are best in areas that are compressed by bra straps, underwear bands, etc. So, my secret of the day is......tape! Just go and get a roll of the paper white tape that your PS uses. Tape over the scar and keep it on as much as possible. You will notice that this makes the greatest improvement. I have my patients tape for 2 months, starting about 2 weeks after surgery when the incision is healed''

I am VERY happy with my results :-)

*EDIT*

Found a couple of pics - But it is better than this now... You can see though that the armpit end is much better than the elbow end (My scar goes right through the armpit)

z219786429.jpg

z219786431.jpg

Have you heard of Liposculpture? I had read some stuff online about it and wondered if it was a cheaper/less painful way of getting rid of the flapping wings....? Just curious....my arms are the bane of my existance and I would LOVE to be able to afford to get rid of them! :(

( Here's the website where I was reading about it -- http://www.pacificlipo.com/liposuction-faqs.htm - I had actually read a post of someone who had it done at this place...and then went to the website to check it out)

I had my brachioplasty in Jan of 2010 and it is just now faded to where the scar is barely noticeable. SueHam is right...it is too pale to post a picture. I even bought a pretty sleeveless sheath dress for the first time in 40 + years. Don't worry about the scar, get rid of the batwings!!!!

Mimi

Thanks guys!! I was getting excited just reading your posts! I will definitely do the tape. Being a Nurse Practitioner myself I can get my hands on plenty of tape from my doc. THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH I cant wait to be able to wear sleeveless dresses next summer!!!!

I had my brachioplasty in CT on March 3, 2011 and my scars already don't bother me. My surgeon used Tegaderm over both the arm and the panniculectomy scars for 2.5 months, and it made a HUGE difference in the smoothness of the scar. The lower one isn't raised at ALL while the arms still are a little bumpy - but not much, and it's already fading. We also used compression with ace bandages on both arms for about a month. It was starting to drive me crazy coz wrapping Ace bandages one-armed (and that one also post-op) was challenging. The bandage kept falling off or cutting off my circulation!

I would do this again in a heartbeat and I hadn't really thought about doing it at all until the doctor suggested it. One of my lapband doctor's nurses told me that if insurance didn't pay for it, that I should pay for it myself to piggyback on the panniculectomy surgery. Already being in the OR and having the surgeon & anesthesiologist. would seriously reduce the costs. The surgeon said we should go ahead and ask for it since it was my first plastic surgery post-lapband and I was lucky that insurance DID pay for it. I was told later by my primary care doctor that the plans were changing and it was unlikely that the arms would have been covered effective the new fiscal year (which we are now in). I just squeaked by!

Have you heard of Liposculpture? I had read some stuff online about it and wondered if it was a cheaper/less painful way of getting rid of the flapping wings....? Just curious....my arms are the bane of my existance and I would LOVE to be able to afford to get rid of them! :(

( Here's the website where I was reading about it -- http://www.pacificlipo.com/liposuction-faqs.htm - I had actually read a post of someone who had it done at this place...and then went to the website to check it out)

I had liposculpture done at PacificLipo in San Diego. My arms look amazing now. I plan on having my thighs done in November.