Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded Monday......YIKES!!!!!

I am getting my lap band on Monday and am beginning my liqiud diet today.

I had some problems sticking to my pre-op diet the last week because it was my birthday and I wanted to enjoy one dinner, one last time the "old way" before my surgery.

I made the decision to have the surgery last December, but had ins. approval issues, that just got resolved in late May.

I am in a completely different head space now than I was then. I want to have the surgery and make the necessary changes, BUT with the 5 month wait, I now have an extremely high dose of fear (food was a "friend"). I am cautionsly optimistic and am pushing forward nad looking forward to my new life.

I was banded exactly three months ago so my memories of the pre-op anxiety is relatively fresh. By the time I had my surgery, I was ready, truly committed to making a huge change in direction. I am not here to tell you to not worry or relax or anything soothing -- how could I do that? I have no earned "cred" with you. I do hope you have or are building a support team of friends and family from whom that advice has value. This isn't something you can do in isolation.

For me electing to get banded was the most selfish decision of my life and the smartest choice I've ever made. Within a few days post-op when I was walking around the block for the first time in years I knew this was a great adventure.

It didn't take long to understand what my surgeon told me early on: the band is just a tool, offering a temporary and artificial barrier that most any human can overcome. Homo sapiens are notoriously creative problem solvers and have a superb ability for self-deception, too. We can convince ourselves that what we are doing is really okay even if all the evidence points otherwise.

There is post on this site about how a bander was able to eat a Big Mac and fries; all he had to do was chew and chew and chew. My older sister was banded two years ago and has lost a total of thirty-five pounds; considering she still tips the scale at over 200 pounds and is only 5'3" that is not too noteworthy. Her portions are small but it is what she is eating not how much that is her undoing. She is the poster girl for pathetic rationalizing.

But I have also read and spoken to hundreds of successful banders who have been down these paths, pranced and preened, and have sometimes run with abandon, sometimes stumbled, even fallen, and yet found something somewhere important enough to get back on the course.

It isn't just will power, or commitment, or routine, or any one thing. It is finding what will work best for you. It is taking charge of your life, of learning all you can and not being afraid to ask when you don't know, of setting achievable goals and looking at how far you have come rather than how far you have to go. In short it is finding your own way. And understanding we often get in our own way.

You have begun a journey that will be unlike any other. Guaranteed. Enjoy the scenery, get actively involved, be bold and open as you gain confidence in what you are doing.

And don't forget to post and visit this site.

Regards as always,

WB

Will_B_Healthy, that was very inspirational. Thank you. I'm just starting the lap-band journey, so I'm trying to read as much as possible. Your post really spoke to me.

Thanks that was very helpful........

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches