Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a few questions... my surgery date is Monday, June 28

How long after surgery can I enjoy my Decaf coffee with cream?

My husband has a very important doctor appt. on June 30 that I'd like to attend with him.... do you think I'll be up for it?

Does someone give you eating/drinking instructions before you leave the hospital?

Has anyone left the hospital the same day? I'd save $425. admission co pay if I could.

Thank you!:biggrin:

My husband has a very important doctor appt. on June 30 that I'd like to attend with him.... do you think I'll be up for it?

Does someone give you eating/drinking instructions before you leave the hospital?

Has anyone left the hospital the same day? I'd save $425. admission co pay if I could.

Thank you!:biggrin:

1> Coffee- This depends how long your doctor makes you stay in the clear liquid stage. For me it was 1 week.

2> Husbands Doctor - You will have to see how you feel. You may be a little to sore and you will probably still be on pain medication. You won't be able to drive though.

3> Your doctor should have given you and eating/drinking plan. If not you should ask him soon.

4> There are several people who leave the hospital the same day. This again all depends on your surgeon. In my opinion the one day stay in the hospital is worth it.

Thank you!!

And I'm very familiar with Egg Harbor, NJ as we always stay in a Days Inn in Pleasantville, when we go to Atlantic City. It's very nice there.

Thank you!!

And I'm very familiar with Egg Harbor, NJ as we always stay in a Days Inn in Pleasantville, when we go to Atlantic City. It's very nice there.

Well I'm actually in Little Egg Harbor which is on the North Side of Egg Harbor, near Tuckerton. :biggrin: But you are correct. Egg Harbor is a very nice place and I know the Days Inn that you are talking about.

Well as for the coffee, I'm not sure I am not a coffee drinker but i thought caffeine was a no no..check with your Dr on that maybe Decaf is OK

I did stay over night but had my surgery at 4PM and was out by the next morning by 8am..it wasn't much of a stay but my insurance required an overnight stay...I was up and around right away. When I checked out of the hospital they gave me instructions on eating and all kinds of paperwork. My Dr's last visit before surgery they as-well gave me menus and instructions. When I got home after surgery I check my email and my surgeon emailed me saying surgery went well, gave me all the details and said to email him for any questions at all any time. He replies to his own emails.He said to contact the office for an emergency thou not to email.

As far as going with your husband to his appointment everyone is different, I didn't take any pain meds ....I have a spinal injury for 13 years and was so young i didn't want to ever take them for fear that taking them for so many years overtime there would be repucutions....I tough out the pain, some think I have a high tolerance for pain,I just think I'm not a complainer,the Dr said we could take regular tylenol...So I'm sure you will be able to go with him to his appointment, you may be a little uncomfortable but its doable.

Hope this helps and Good luck with your journey

Actually my doc said coffee is a no-no and even Decaf was a no-no because it still has a bit of Caffine in it. Which is a natural dihuretic and will dehydrate you. I was told for each cup of coffee that you drink it takes 2 glasses of Water to replace what you have lost. So, yes please check with your doctor to see if you can have decaf or not. All doctors are different.

Well, I'm on a dioretic everyday because my ankles swell... and it helps control my BP. I'm on a strong dose.

To be honest, the low carb, hi Protein diet makes me so constipated that it's painful, but with several cups of Decaf a day... lets just say... it keeps things rolling nicely.

I'm going to make a list of things to ask, but sometimes you never see the doctor after surgery until your first visit. I know my gallbladder surgery I didn't see the doc at all until my first visit and only briefly before the surgery.

I had a very crabby nurse practitioner who handed me the paperwork and explained things on my last weigh in. She had me almost in tears... she practically yelled at me if I asked a dumb question. Even my husband thought her bedside manner was lacking... I hope I don't see her again.

Thank you all for your help.

Hey there,

I didn't stay in the hopsital. I went in around 8am and was home by 7pm ( I had to stay a little longer because i was having some complications.)

My surgery was 1.27.10. I drink no less than 1 medium sized iced mocha latte (with expresso) in it a day. and whipped cream. from DD.

I have had no issue with it. I can't eat much, nor do I want to, so those 500 calories are WELL worth it. AND it makes me full so I don't want to eat. (even less then normal.) plus i get my sweet fix, and a ton of liquids in. but talk to your doctor.

hope this helps you.

Not a coffee drinker so can't help with that one.

Dr. Appt- I was out and about the second day, going over bumps in the car hurt like hell but I survived. I would bring paper to take notes because I was definitely still a bit foggy in the head from the pain meds & anesthesia (although I didn't realize it at the time)

I didn't stay over night- surgery at 1:30ish home by 7ish (I think- that foggy thing again)- just make sure your hubby is there to baby you that night

I had my surgery at like 7am and I was home by like noon. I had my surgery on June 14, 2010.

I think you would be ok to go with your husband. Be careful with tight things on your stomach and don't drive!

I don't drink coffee so I can't be much help there.

After surgery I had chicken broth, special k Protein Water, and popicles. I know a lot of people eat Jello but I can't stand it.

I love my coffee and with cream.. I had Decaf with cream as soon as I was off clears that was about 5 days after surgery..for me...

I did find that if I put a good quality Protein powder in my coffee.. (Unjury or Pure from Bariatric eating) it seemed alot like cream.. but was still considered a clear liquid... talk with your docs office. You mix the powder in a little Water and then put it in the coffee... so it will not lump...

I am a brand new bander...one month out... still learning....

but the coffee and cream.. I am sure you will be able to have it on full liquids... but see if the Protein Powder idea helps you as it did me...

Edited by Ninababy
mistake.. in my text

My doctor told me no coffee for a week post op, because like others said, it's a diuretic and can dehydrate you.

Now, I'm only 3 days post op and couldn't imagine leaving the house yet. My tummy is so swollen I cant wear anything besides sweats and I walk slowly with a hunch from the incisions/stitches pulling. Each body is different, but take it easy. As far as pain day 2 was the worst for me thus far!

I did go home that same day - surgery was at 11am and out of hospital at 4pm. Frankly, I would've liked staying a few more hours to sleep off some of the anesthesia, but the nurses were so pushy at getting me out of there quick! Plus, I figured I'd get a better nights sleep at home w/o a nurse coming in every hour to check my stats.

Good luck!

Thank you!:)

My surgery was an out patient procedure. Made it there at 8:30, completed paper work. I was called to the back and around 10:00 I had my IV. I was finish with everything by lunch. I made it home about 1:30pm.

I think you should do fine going eith your hubby. I am taking care of my 3 yr old alone. Take your meds and walk. The gas will work its way down.:thumbup:

I can't stand Jello either,...lol

No help on the coffee question, sorry. My doc requires an overnight stay but I would have been more than happy to go home and snuggle up in my own bed, other than using the rails and lifting the back of the bed up to get out of it, I really didn't see any advantage to staying overnight (a good recliner would probably suffice).

Take a pillow to hug on the way home!

I went shopping 2 days post-op, had to sit down and take a break half way through and started feeling weak and shaky towards the end but really no problem. If the parking lot is huge or it's 100 degrees outside I would recommend having your husband drop you close to the front door of the clinic, other than that I think you'll do fine at the doctor's appointment.

You should already have pretty specific instructions on what to eat/drink post-op...my RN at the hospital went over all of it with me but the dietician and nurse practitioner at my docs office had both gone over it previously and given me instructions in writing...I would contact them this week and see if you can get something. Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of discharge things get forgotten so I'd try to get that settled now.

Good luck and congratulations on taking this huge step. It is SOOOO worth it!