Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How important are the rules really?

I was thinking the same thing! Seems like a very strange goal!

I was thinking the same thing! Seems like a very strange goal!

Okay, this is really good to know!! I don't know where I got this 'four bite' thing, but I'm glad to know that is not typical b/c I can eat significantly more than that. I was under the impression that, once banded, we could or should only be able to eat a few bites of food at any one sitting. My education classes kept stressing that our new stomach is the size of our thumb and should only get as large as an egg and we shouldn't eat more than a 1/2 cup to a cup of food- that's not much food! I was worried I might stretch my new stomach. Glad to know that it seems I'm not eating too much!

Does anyone's band seem tighter in the morning? My first couple bites of Breakfast have been causing me to 'slime', get that knot in my throat, and feel like I might vomit (but i haven't pb'ed). After that, I can finish my breakfast and I'm fine the rest of the day. Anyone know why this would happen?

Beedo- you're so right! I had my first fill on Friday and am disappointed regarding how much I can still comfortably eat. Is this normal this soon after a fill? I want to be full after maybe four bites of food but can easily eat at least ten bites...

My bites must be small to keep from getting stuck, so 4 'bites' of food for me is about 4 tsp. Can't imagine why you'd want to be so limited. I'd think you'd then have to deal with hunger and the danger of 'grazing' to deal with that hunger.

My doc's goal was for me to eat about 1 cup of food or so. To be honest, I forget what cc I'm at as far as fill but I can only eat about 1 to 1-1/2 cup of food at a meal, depending on what I'm eating.

That said, until my last couple of fills, I never noticed any change in the quantity I could eat right after a fill...or at all, as a matter of fact. It wasn't until I was close to the sweet spot that this happened.

Does anyone's band seem tighter in the morning? My first couple bites of breakfast have been causing me to 'slime', get that knot in my throat, and feel like I might vomit (but i haven't pb'ed). After that, I can finish my breakfast and I'm fine the rest of the day. Anyone know why this would happen?

Yep...I don't bother eating breakfast anymore because it's always the same when I try...stuck, slime, back to a Protein Shake. So I just cut to the chase and drink a Protein shake for breakfast.

Okay, this is really good to know!! I don't know where I got this 'four bite' thing, but I'm glad to know that is not typical b/c I can eat significantly more than that. I was under the impression that, once banded, we could or should only be able to eat a few bites of food at any one sitting. My education classes kept stressing that our new stomach is the size of our thumb and should only get as large as an egg and we shouldn't eat more than a 1/2 cup to a cup of food- that's not much food! I was worried I might stretch my new stomach. Glad to know that it seems I'm not eating too much!

Does anyone's band seem tighter in the morning? My first couple bites of breakfast have been causing me to 'slime', get that knot in my throat, and feel like I might vomit (but i haven't pb'ed). After that, I can finish my breakfast and I'm fine the rest of the day. Anyone know why this would happen?

Hey Sloan,

I am tighter in the mornings as well. I get to work at 6:30 in the morning. I have a cup of coffee on my drive to work. I don't eat until I feel hungry. My usual breakfast on a work day is graham crackers with Peanut Butter or a Protein Bar taking small bites.

I don't know about others, but here is how much I can eat at other meals.

1 chicken thigh with about 1/2 cup veggie side dish, a few bites of potatoes.

1 thin cut pork chop with the same side dishes.< /p>

1 beef rib (challenge to chew) with the same as above.

2-3 oz. of steak with same.

3" of a subway sandwich with a few chips (a treat!).

I don't weigh and measure food. I go by my appetite and stop when I am satisfied (not full). Some days I can eat more than others. But if you look at normal weight people, this is true of them.

I am very tight in the morning as well.

I usually have a 6 oz yogurt or a shake if the yogurt isn't working.

I still live by the old adage that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and never skip it.

A lot of people find that a warm liquid relaxes their pouch enough to be able to get the ball rolling so to speak. I almost always start the day with a cup or two of coffee.

I agree with btrieger that you should start your day with a meal, even if it is only big enough to qualify as a snack. Make it a Protein and complex carb.

Brad

Thanks for all the feedback regarding morning tightness of the band.

FYI- I've made it a point not to skip meals (thanks to advice I previously read on here) and have lost more weight even though my calorie intake probably increased somewhat (guess my body wasn't responding well to starvation mode).

I can't update my ticker.... suggestions appreciated.

I can't update my ticker.... suggestions appreciated.

my ticker link doesn't work like other's either

try this:

go to user CP,

go to update signature,

right click on the ticker that is inside the signature dialog box and choose open in new tab. You can update that way.

The new changed weight will show up on your next post.

Reheated frozen foods are nothing near what they were when fresh and I end up having to use the oven anyways because the microwave dries everything out and makes me get stuck.

There is no happy medium. It worked great when I had a roommate because he'd eat anything. I'd just cook; take my portion and give him the rest.

Restaurants are working for me. I'm still losing. My wallet is taking a hit but nearly as hard as before.

i can not do left overs at all. and i can not do anything grilled. most of what i do is hearty Soup like stuff.

OT- I just really, truly worked out (hardcore on the Elliptical machine) at my gym for the first time tonight since the sugery- I'm about 5 1/2 weeks post-op. My port site is now fairly sore (I'm about 40 minutes post workout). Is that normal because I just moved my muscle where it is attached quite a bit for the first time and so it is just letting me know to take it a little easier, or did I possibly tear or flip the port? Thoughts appreciated...

Thanks!

Edited by sloanjd

I am not a breakfast person, never have been. It takes me at least 3 hours before I want to eat anything when I wake up. However my Dr said to drink a Protein Shake shortly after I get up to kick start the metabolism for the day. I have to say that since doing this I have been losing weight very steadily and it has helped a lot with getting stuck on the first meal of the day as I was experiencing. Of course getting another fill may have had something to do with that as well! :)

OT- I just really, truly worked out (hardcore on the Elliptical machine) at my gym for the first time tonight since the sugery- I'm about 5 1/2 weeks post-op. My port site is now fairly sore (I'm about 40 minutes post workout). Is that normal because I just moved my muscle where it is attached quite a bit for the first time and so it is just letting me know to take it a little easier, or did I possibly tear or flip the port? Thoughts appreciated...

Thanks!

Congrats on your progress! I highly doubt that the elliptical did anything to damage your port. Soreness from exercise will come and go - especially when doing new/more strenuous exercise. The discomfort should wane after a day or two. If it is persistent or increases call your surgeon at once.

Brad

I had similar pain after my first *real* workout last week, and I'm almost 4 months post op. I've been doing heavy yardwork and walking lot, but last Thursday, I went to a Zumba class. All the focus on ab work made my port area a bit sore for a day or so.

my doc said diet soda and alcohol are fine in moderation. i make my soda flat by shaking it though because the bubble theory of stretching the pouch makes sense to me. i don't usually drink alcohol anyway but it is high in carbs and sugar so it's not something i would drink anyway.