Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grieving for food loss?

Sultana,

You didn't ask me, but that never stops me! So here I am.

You are, IMHO, working the general anesthesia out of your system. That takes AT LEAST three days, during which your emotions should be all over the map. You may need weeks! Our daughter's worst time post-op (for PS) was week three, during which she was just generally not fit to be around any life forms!

Meanwhile, three days post-op, almost all doctors have you on clear liquids...the more liberal allow "full liquids." No egg...maybe some of the yolk from a soft boiled egg. No purees. No cottage cheese, yet.

Your stomach needs to let the band heal in place before it takes any chances. Slow down! You were under a general and had a appliance implanted. Just drink liquids and be grumpy and sad and know that this is really normal!

Sue

Also, have hubby go here:

Jamba juice - Whole Foods/Philadelphia

929 South Street

PHILADELPHIA PA 19147

(215) 733-9788

to get you a Peanut Butter Moo'd. (Or a chocolate one.) Get the free Protein boost. If you get the large one, it has about a billion calories, (actually about 1300) but you don't care right now, and most of the Protein you need (42g) to get through a day. Make the shake last all day if you can.

They are really good.

Sue

http://www.jambajuice.com

Thanks Sue! I appreciate any advice, solicited or otherwise. My doctor said Clear Liquids for 2 days and then only pureed foods (which includes scrambled eggs on the list!) I have been eating very little, at least. It does help to know that I am not the only one who has had a hard time with the post op period. You know, my husband just came upstairs to bring in the new year with me, and I was shocked! I completely forgot it was New Year's eve! Happy New year!

<I think this surgery has really affected me on so many levels.>

Oh yes, I get it - that is how it was for me too! I know from previous surgeries that the sleepy gas and I do not interact too well. I was quite gassy and it took a long time for the "see stars and cuss" stabbing pains in my shoulder to go away. I think that is why I slept the first couple weeks away - I was more comfortable asleep!

I would slow down a bit on the nibbling for at least another week. If you need egg then I would suggest an egg-drop type Soup. The bits are smaller and are in liquid which means they will be easier on your stomach. The pureed soup is probably your best bet for the moment. I would wait for another week or so on the cottage cheese. Chances are it won't have hurt you to try it - but lay off the more solid foods as long as you can. Fluids are your friend right now - get as much as you can in.

It WILL get easier and more comfortable, just give it some time and try not to worry. ;-)

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice. I am sticking to liquids and pureed baby food for Protein. I really appreciate all the shakes suggestions, but I am allergic to corn (starch, Syrup, dextrose, sorbitol, etc.), which may not seem a big deal, but it is in practically everything. Sue, I guess you don't know any ingredients in the Jamba juice products? My husband actually works in Philly for AMTRAK. I did order (before surgery) a Protein shake mix that is made from brown rice and has no corn. I am concerned that everything I eat makes me gassy, no matter how little it is. Is this normal? I have been taking Gas X and Dr. Kurian gave me an RX for Axid. Many of my friends and family have called, but my husband has been fielding the calls because I just don't feel like talking to anyone, but you. Very odd for such an extrovert as myself! I hope this too will pass. Hey all, Happy New Year!

Kiera, you'r from Belgium! I love to travel and have been to most of the European countries, but never to Belgium, but it is on my list.

Sultana

Yep, I am in Belgium. I am a native of California but I have been here two years now. ;-)

Breathing the first couple days after surgery gives you gas! Remember that when they do Lap surgery they basically blow you up with gases and many of them are still in there and have to work themselves out somehow. I found that anything "milky" really made it worse that first week so I avoided them as much as possible.

If you can get up the energy try walking around for 15 minutes or so at a time. I found that it really helped me get that gas moving. I made my husband come with me though because I did not feel that good - just compelled to walk a bit.

Alergic to corn huh? That's ROUGH! I did not see any of the items you listed in the two shakes I like - but I don't know all the product names they make out of corn... The ingredients are on the list at the bottom of those links I put in my other post.

Just out of curiosity I looked up my favorite Protein bars and it looks like two of my faves *might* work for you (I did not see any of the offending ingredients) - once you get to the solids phase. Just so you know I don't have any connection to the website in these urls - it is just who I order from. It is very difficult to find items like these here in Belgium so I just order online. ;-)

http://www.wlssuccess.com/detour.htm

http://www.wlssuccess.com/uturn.htm

These bars are big enough that when you have restriction about half of one will fill you up. It is a great Meal Replacement when you just don't have time to stop and or when you feel the need for something decadant. They have lots of Protein so they stick with you. I usually use them for Breakfast because I am just not a "fix myself Breakfast each day" sort of person. ;-)

Hi Sultana,

I had the lapband on 21 October 2003 and since the first mouthful of liquid have had burping and gurgling. My surgeon doesn't know what caused it but hopes it will settle over time. I didn't have it before.

But it doesn't seem to effect me otherwise. It can be a little embarrassing when eating around others. But they are quite lady like little burps not big belches and most people don't even notice.

Just keeping sipping slowly and try not to swallow more air.

Keep up the good work

Janeen

Hi Kiera and Janeen,

I did check out the bars, and the one has fructose which is a corn product, but the other one doesn't! I will have to check out the others too. Thanks! I assume you don't have any PBing problems with these? The thought of PBing scares me to death! I am still on pureed foods, and I just had some pureed Won Ton Soup which was surprisingly good.

Do you love Belgium?

Janeen I sympathize with the burping and gurgling; I too have both, but I sure do hope mine goes away much sooner than yours have existed! Good luck with that. Could it be that maybe you have or have developed a hiatal hernia?? Just a novice thought.

Happy New Year bandees, bandits, bandsters or whatever moniker you prefer! I think I might be getting less morose!

Sultana

I must have pasted in the wrong bar, LOL, because neither of the ones I thought I was pasting had fructose. Take a look at all the bars at that site - I know there is at least one more you can probably eat. ;-)

I have not had *that* many PB problems all in all. Usually the only time I have run into problems was when I either ate too much or too quickly without chewing enough. I have had once or twice where I "rented" lunch and then the same thing happened at dinner. So these days if it happens before dinner I usually just try to eat Soup for dinner - that way if my tummy is still sensative I don't set myself off again. But honestly, it is not a big deal once you know what to expect from your body. Once you get into an eating routine it gets easier. I have discovered a technique that really helps. If, while you are eating, you feel like you need to toss (for whatever reason) try this.

Get medium sized plastic bowl (one that will fit easily in your bathroom sink) and keep it in the bathroom where it is handy. If you feel the need to toss - go and stand over the sink. Bend at the waist just a bit and hang your head over the sink. Turn the Water on a little and rinse your mouth out - then spit the Water out. If you are foaming (a common symptom just before PB) just keep spitting and rinsing your mouth out. Many times just NOT swallowing the extra saliva and foam will do the trick. If not then just let the food come up in the bowl. When you are done dump it into the toilet and wash.

Now this bowl business probably sounds gross - but I find that if I put my head over the toilet I am BOUND to retch. I mean ewwww - even if it is perfectly 100% clean I don't want my face down there. Also - bending that far over seems to make the retch impulse worse, at least for me. The plastic bowl can be put in the dishwasher so it is ALWAYS going to be cleaner. ;-) It is important not to just toss in the sink because sinks are not set up to be able to handle solids - and you could give yourself a plumbing or odor problem if you throw up straight in the sink.

If you feel like you are going to toss the most important thing is NOT to panic. I can tell you from experience that if you start to panic you stress out and THAT makes your tummy even more upset and liable to heave. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I am much more comfortable MUCH MUCH sooner if I just let my body do what it wants to do and not try to fight it. A couple of times that old PB has given me *instant* comfort so I guess I just don't find them as bad now as I did that first month or two.

The gurgling and burping happened to me too. The gurgling seems to have settled down now (8 months out) but the burping is EVERPRESENT, LOL. My husband is so used to it now that he hardly notices anymore. If anything it has started to encourage him to "keep up" and belt out a few belches with me each night after dinner - heheheh!

I do like Belgium. It takes some getting used to. I used to live in the dutch speaking half of the country which was easier because most dutch speakers speak english - at least all the ones under 50. Now I live in Brussels where they speak mostly french. French speakers in general seem less likely to we able (or more importantly - willing) to speak english. I have been trying to learn French but I still feel like a child. Luckily I work in English so I get by.

The thing I like best about Belgium is that I found my doctor here. He has done well over 1000 lapband surgeries and has been doing them over a decade. The insurance here is really good and did not even blink when I asked for the band surgery! I was approved in next to no time without anything more than my surgeon's recommendation that I was a good candidate and needed it. From finding out about the surgery and making the initial appointment it was six weeks to surgery - 2 weeks waiting for the initial appointment and 4 weeks from then until surgery. I still cannot believe how quick and easy it was. If I was still in the US I don't think the band would have ever been an option for me, considering all the US insurance horror stories I have seen in the various band forums I read. I feel truly lucky to be here now banded and working. ;-)

Yes Keira, it's true that you were graphic, but I appreciate that. I am also glad to hear it is not a frequent experience. I guess my biggest fear is having it happen an an inopportune time or that I might choke. I will remember your "bowl" suggestion, and TRY to stay calm. It seems that what tends to precipitate PBing is either eating too much or not chewing enough, eh?

I am a teacher and had to drop my insurance to use my husband's because mine would not cover the surgery. I am lucky that his would. You are right though, it is definitely a problem here. I was prepared to go to Mexico if I could not get coverage here. I am so happy for you that it was so quick and easy. From the time I started research and progressed to finding a Dr., wrangling with insurance, and dealing with the MANY pre op requirements and testing it was a YEAR until my surgery.

I put your "candy" bar site on my favorites, and I will study it after I get past this period of pureed foods. It makes me feel kind of nauseated right now! Thanks again. It's funny, but of all my travels, France was the easiest because I DO speak French! Keep trying.

Sultana ;)

I hope that nausated feeling was not caused by my TMI post, LOL. I have never been one to dance around grossness. ;-)

For me I can tell I have possible PB troubles if I start to feel foamy and have a hard time swallowing. It feels sort of like I swallowed a meatball - whole - sort of stuck. But it is not a choking kind of stuck - I can still breathe and everything - I am just as uncomfortable as heck. I have never had a PB without warning of at least one or two minutes duration. It's too bad this board does not have a polling feature - we could see if other people get the same warning or not...

I have had to excuse myself twice from lunch at work to make a dash for the bathroom. I eat lunch in the cafeteria every day with my coworkers. The first time it was just panic more than anything else - it was the second day back at work and I ate a couple more bites than I should have.

The second time was just a couple weeks ago - when (like a fool) I took a couple of bites of dessert on an already overfull tummy. It just looked SO good - I figured what could a couple bites of chocolate moose hurt - it's *light* right?! ;) Well, I could feel that second bite. I had plenty of time to excuse myself and head for the bathroom. I am still kicking myself for being so dumb - I *knew* I should not have done it before I did it... It was a case of fighting head-hunger and the inability to walk away from "food on my plate."

As long as you don't make a production of heading off to the bathroom your lunch companions will just think you needed to go. If you need an excuse dribble some food (preferably that won't stain) on your clothes and give yourself an excuse.

I considered getting a few of those little bags like they have on airplanes - but once I realized I always have warning I didn't bother. If you are worried you could just keep a small brown lunchbag in your purse - just in case that would give you peace of mind.

I have only had troubles with the volume of what I ate and the amount of chewing. I would suggest that once you do get back onto more solid foods that you peel your fruit - apple peels for example are really hard to chew small enough. I can eat them now but in the beginning it was hard. Oranges give some folks fits because the skins on the individual wedges do not always chew down well enough. You would not think you need to chew oranges that well but trust me - chew them like they are beef and you will be fine.

It is not as complicated as it sounds. If you just pay careful attention to all of the textures of what you are eating you will be able to tell how much chewing is required. Anything with skin, or that feels stringy or chunky needs more chewing. *If in doubt over-chew!* Ocassionally I feel like a cow, LOL, with all the chewing. But it does tend to draw a meal out and make it SEEM like you are eating more than you actually are. That is good for satisfying head hunger - most of the time. :D

Hi Again,

Thanks so much for all the time and effort that you take to reply in such detail; it really helps me to be able to prepare and not be so chicken! I realize that my experiences may not be the same, but then again, they may! I plan to really work on chewing and trying to avoid foods that don't chew well. I was kind of concerned because I have had my jaw operated on for TMJ problems, but I figure it won't be more chewing than I have previously done eating large amounts of food! I am thinking I won't be able to eat squid or steak or sushi (because of the skins). I will switch to sashimi, I guess. This banding is sure to be an adventure, and like all adventures I am sure I will not always take the right roads; I do so appreciate your being my guide!

Sultana

I hope my novels help. I guess I am just in a journaling sort of mood today. We are all in this banding adventure together! ;-)

I have not tried squid since banded - but I would be suspicious of it because of it's rubberyness. Sushi might not be as hard actually - that seaweed can be chewed down. The only way to know is give it a try - at home where if it does not work you are not bad off.

Some things I expected to be hard aren't. I eat steak just fine - in fact I seem to crave it these days. I am just careful to keep to the cuts that are NOT grisseley (sp?). I had some troubles with pork chops in the beginning but not anymore. I think it was just the learning the *art of band chewing* issue. When eating pork or beef it is probably a good idea to have somesort of soft smooth food to eat it with - porkchops with apple sauce for example. or steak with steak sause or something. I know that all *good dieters* would probably smack me for that advice since it does tend to add calories - but in the quantities we are talking it is not that much and it will not make that much difference if you are otherwise careful of what the rest of the meal entails.

I keep seeing people say not to drink for X amount of time before during or after meals. The during meals makes sense because it will wash the food faster and let you eat more. The after makes sense because you will wash the food down and you might feel hungry sooner than if you didn't drink. I don't find that to be the case so much - if I am thirsty after a meal I drink.

And frankly, I think the bit about not drinking *before* your meal is utter nonsense. I have no scientific data to back my claim - however - I find that a nice cup of tea a little while before a meal makes my tummy happy and sort of primes it for food. I have far fewer problems when I have had something to drink beforehand. I think it actually helps me to feel fuller sooner because there is something in the larger part of my stomach. Perhaps it is all in my head but as long as I am losing weight I am going to do it my way. (shhhhhh)

I also find that after a PB a nice cup of tea is just the thing to get me settled again. I never used to drink tea but now I have practically turned british or something with having all this tea all the time, LOL.

You sound like you are feeling better. Is the gas starting to let up yet? Have you been trying to walk around to get everything moving?

Yes, I do feel better. less depressed and less gassy. Today either my allergies are kicking up or I might be getting a cold--too early to tell. I have been having all kinds of symptoms from the anesthesia and drugs. You and others here have certainly made me more hopeful about the future when I actually start eating and utilizing the band. Now I am just letting it "settle in" as my doctor says and bypassing it with pureed food. Congratulations on your weight loss. It seems to be slow and steady, and that is good I think--healthier. You must be doing something right! I am sure that all who are banded learn little tricks and methods to eat, and I know that I will too. I just hope it will not be too unpleasant or time consuming. I am a workaholic and devote much time to my job.

I have to agree with you that it actually seems to make sense to me to drink a little before eating too. I have become very fond of tea too; I especially like Black Currant and Chai tea. Have you tried those? I don't know your age, but Black Currant is supposed to be good for menopausal symptoms too. Again, thanks and do keep posting! I appreciate all opinions.

;)

Sultana

I like Chai - I have not tried black currant but it sounds great - I LOVE currents. I am only 37 (LOL, only, heheh) so I'd just be drinking it for taste. I have discovered dandilion tea. My grandma calls it PEE tea. It does seem to help loosen up Water retention Water - something I am prone to. I really like it, surprisingly so does my hubby - I did not expect that. In fact, I am going to go make myself some right now! ;-)

Since we have covered all the other gross topics of the band, has anyone mentioned the problem of Constipation? That was something that hit me hard from day one - even when I was drinking every drop of water I was supposed to. Less going in equals less going out - but it can get uncomfortable. It is a good idea to start adding Fiber to your diet ASAP. I have some I mix with water and drink. It is halfway decent - tastes like lemon sherbert.

oatmeal is also a good idea. Once you get to your squishy phase you can eat oatmeal - just make it extra thin so that it does not pile up on your tummy and sit there (uncomfortably). This is not so much of a problem later but at first it is better to be safe. Oatmeal is boring so I like to spice mine up with raisins or prunes (finely minced). My alltime fave though is to add sugar free Syrup that I got from http://www.davincigourmet.com - they used to have a flavor called danish pastry but I think it was a limited edition or something so now I use hazelnut or gingerbread. It really makes it good, like you are eating coffee cake or something instead of boring old oatmeal. ;-)

I took a look at my syrups and I think you can probably eat them - they are made with splenda. The website does not list everything so here is the list from the side of the bottle (in case you are interested):

water, natral and artificial flavors, cellulose gum, sucralose (splenda brand), sodium benzoate (to preserve flavor quality), caramel color, citric acid

serving size 1 tbsp

calories 0

fat 0g

sodium 5mg

total carbs 0g

sugars 0g

Protein 0g

all of the bottles have roughly these same ingredients with just different colors - as far as I can tell.

I like to mix these syrups with my water - it makes it more palatable to get it all in. They make a couple of tea flavors that you can use as instant tea - the lemon tastes like lipton instant without the calories. The chai tea is quite spicy tasting but nice as long as you don't make it too strong - it has quite a strong clove flavor to it.

They make a low cal chocolate *SAUCE* that I have heard good things about but have not tried yet. i am afraid to get it, I am sure I will find bad things to do with it - and it has some calories, unlike the syrups.

There are lots of ways to get decadant tasting things into your life that do not have even a fraction of the calories of the real thing. I went overboard on the syrups and stuff so that I could still have tasty things and I did not feel like I was giving up all good tasting things forever... know what I mean?