Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People who don't undersand

Since my first visit with my doctor about 2 months ago I have lost about 23 pounds by changing my eating habits.

Some of my friends have noticed the change in my appearance and are now questionsing my decision and don't see why I can't do it on my own.

It is so frustrating to have to explain that I need the extra help and want the tool.

UGH! People are annoying!

I know I made the right decision I just needed to vent.

I too lost a good amount of weight in the 6 months prior to surgery, but I decided not to tell anyone about my decision to have WLS. So to others it looks as if I have just been loosing weight steadily over the last year. I'm glad I did not tell.

Since my first visit with my doctor about 2 months ago I have lost about 23 pounds by changing my eating habits.

Some of my friends have noticed the change in my appearance and are now questionsing my decision and don't see why I can't do it on my own.

It is so frustrating to have to explain that I need the extra help and want the tool.

UGH! People are annoying!

I know I made the right decision I just needed to vent.

Most people who choose to be banded don't have problems LOSING weight, we have had problems in the past KEEPING IT OFF!! This is where the band has made a difference in my life. Heck, I figure I have lost the equivalent of a couple of Sumo wrestlers over the past 15 years, yet I was overweight!!! I don't have people question me about it, but if they did, that is the response I would give.

I haven't had that problem yet... although the people in my life who I have shared the info with have all seen me lose and gain and lose and gain over the years.

I am having a problem with my boyfriend, who completely supports the surgery in theory. I think he doesn't realize how hard this could be for him- so much of what we do revolves around food- going out to eat, getting sundaes- me making brownies or cookies- ordering pizza etc. Last night he asked me to order a pizza and I didn't want to- I said he could order it if he felt like it but I didn't want any part in ordering one of my favorite foods and not having any. His response was "you can have some" and I told him no, I wasn't sure enough yet of my self control and 1 piece of my favorite pizza wuoldn't be the end- then he said "Well, why don't you order ice cream with it and you can have that". He just didn't get it. It turned into a huge crying fight and I'm miserable today. He didn't want to talk about it. I ordered his damn pizza and told him not to ask me again to do it. He's my enabler and needs to stop. I can't do it if he keeps putting pizza and ice cream under my nose!

I lost 95 pounds between my initial consultation and surgery.

I heard it all but explained that anybody can lose weight. The band is my insurance policy to not gain it back again.

The funny thing is that everyone was understanding except one chick I work with that has just dropped 100 pounds. The hundred pounds she lost is the weight she gained back since last time she lost 100 pounds. She doesn't understand that it is a vicious cycle and sometimes bold steps have to be taken to stop this cycle.

Good luck and in the end, you have to realize that everyone has opinions and only yours counts when it comes to your health and well being.

Hang in there - people can be frustrating. I guess the part that I love about the band is that it helps me to control portion size - so even when we do order a thin crust pizza I can have a slice and feel like I am not being deprived....and I find that I don't really miss the bread all that much. It does make it harder to eat on the fly - since most things you eat quickly are sandwiches and stuff like that...but you learn to get creative and find what works for you. I personally am addicted to Wendy's chili - so that is my fast food of choice! LOL :tt2:

Don't worry about what people say --- I have learned over the years that it doesn't matter in the long run anyway....and if this truly were the "easy way out" that I think society seems to think it is, then wouldn't everyone be doing it? Why would they require a psych eval, etc, first? It is hard work and you still have to work at it....it is just a fantabulous tool to help us reach our goals....and stay there! :thumbup:

Hang in there....and don't let anyone else's opinions get to ya!

I had a huge fight with my mother over this - she said to me out of motherly concern "weight watchers works so well, it always works for me, when I really stick to it". (she maybe has 10 to 20lb to lose every now and then).

She was rather offended when I pointed out if it worked that well she would only have had to do it once. Hehehe, I got the silent treatment for a while over that (you'd have to know my mother, sigh. I love her to death but boy oh boy you have to tread lightly).

Also, you have to progressivly eat less and less to lose weight long term. What you're doing now wont work forever, your body will adjust and then you need to be able to get that fill and decrease calories again.

But its keepign it off where the band really shines. I cant believe how good life can be eating sensibly but pretty much whatever the hell I want, exercising with dedication and just NEVER putting on a pound or two.

The medical director of my program told me this information and it helped me with my decision AND with ALL the people who tell me to "just eat less and walk!!" He quoted from a reputable medical journal that LESS than 5% of people ACTUALLY keep off ALL the weight they lose.... AND.. add a menopausal woman.. and it goes down to 2 to 3%!!!!!! So tell them that! We need the tool to help us maintain... and with this tool... we get into the 70 to 80% success rate of keeping of the weight...and MANY people do even better!!!

Much success everyone! My date is June 14th and I can't wait!!