Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will i see the weight fall off?

All this weight loss has had me thinking, its all good seeing the weight come off the scales but at what point do i look in the mirror and see a slimmer person looking back at me? someone told me that its more like 45lbs before you can see that you have lost weight and slimmed down but that seems kinda harsh, i just hope that for every stone i loose i shrink into a smaller cuter version of myself lol does 45lbs sound right to you guys???:biggrin:

:smile:I would think about 20 pounds you'd be seeing a nice difference.

At almost 20 lbs I am noticing a difference in how my clothes fit. If I pay attention I can see that in certain places...like my midrift, which is oddly, one of the last places I gain...or (sadly) my bust...I am smaller. I tend to start to notice more around 30 lbs.

I have lost 43lbs so far, and I personally haven't seen too much of a difference, but I'm harsh on myself. I always am focusing on my rolls, double chin, love handles and thunder thighs. BUT, when I put on clothes I wore preop, they are baggy or falling off of me.

I'm down 34 pounds so far from my pre-surgery diet with the nutritionist and I don't notice anything other than my trousers fit a little more loosely than they did previously. Nothing in the mirror at all. I feel a lot better though and my endurance is much better when exercising or taking the stairs.

My weight, i started to see the results before surgery i lost 40lbs.i had a(beer belly).an it shrunk.so i say around forty pounds.

I think it's hard to see the changes in ourselves - it is gradual. I had comments from others at about 30 lbs loss - they said my face looked slimmer. My husband and mother-in-law keep saying how much it shows what I've lost, and I see the difference in the clothes that fit, but I don't see it a lot in the mirror. If you want the sense of losing weight watch your measurements and clothing sizes too. AT 50 lbs lost I'm down about 3 clothing sizes, and I feel so much less pain than I used to - so besides the scale those are my yardsticks.

I think we tend to see ourselves differently then others see us. At some point you notice the clothes fitting differently or a task being easier to do because you're thinner. However i think if you see a photo of yourself it will appear more noticeable. I see pictures of myself now and can't believe I'm really as fat as that. I'm waiting for my insurance company approval and can't wait to start my new life!

I have lost 24 lbs and don't really see it. I feel it though. I know it is gone. My belt is loose and so are my pants... but I really want the belly to start to go.

Im down 30 pounds and I can see it in my face just a bit and my work pants fit better.. but other then that, no change.

it took 50 pounds for me to see the difference unless I look at photos --then I can see the difference on a monthly basis.

A few days ago I saw my self naked and I had to double take---it's a NSV to notice it on yourself.

I think we tend to see ourselves differently then others see us. At some point you notice the clothes fitting differently or a task being easier to do because you're thinner. However i think if you see a photo of yourself it will appear more noticeable. I see pictures of myself now and can't believe I'm really as fat as that. I'm waiting for my insurance company approval and can't wait to start my new life!

I totally agree. I see my photo as in my profile one which was taken in Dec 09 and I look like a football player - only I am not wearing the protective pads - it just looks like I am.

I'm about 44 pounds down, and am just seeing real changes in my body. I know they've been happening gradually, but that's just it...it's gradual. The weight does not fall off, and it doesn't always come off of areas that are hugged by jeans, or whatever.

But it does come off, and it is noticeable in other ways.

Just today, I got into a pair of jeans that has not fit since my 7th grader was in preschool. (Yes, I hung on to them for that long--I'm stubborn!) I actually haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks---and they most assuredly did NOT fit 2 weeks ago...so the changes happen even when the scale is not cooperating.

I suggest tracking your measurements every month or so. Then, even if you're not down a size (or down in weight), you can see that you are, in fact, losing inches all over your body.

I think part of it depends on how much you have to lose. I have lost 37 pounds and two sizes. It is harder to see in the mirror because my personal self image is caught up in it. I am critical each time I look in the mirror. Other people started noticing at about 25 pounds and now mention it all the time. The best things for me, though, are my blood pressure and blood sugar are already going down. Even mu shoes are looser!!!!

My granddaughter told me that my head is getting smaller and you have to trust the honesty of a six year old!

I think we all have this body image of ourselves that is harder to break through than some of our dieting plateaus. Might even be related. I think I've always felt like I was this size...I look at pictures of myself 30 or 35 years ago and wonder why I felt soooo enormous when I obviously was not. In HS I was a size 9/10 but felt like a blimp. I think I "grew into" my current weight.