Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

extra time on liquids for better results?

im 27 days out from surgery. i advanced to mushies last week but i have been so happy with the results from liquids so far i have been doing Protein Protein powder with non milk, thin low cal Soups from progresso {through blender},non fat cottage cheese, health wise drinks and instant Soups, coffee, suger free fudge pops, 1/4 cup of egg whites and lots of Water.

i have lost 35 lbs since the night before surgery. i have been somewhat nuerotic over my food and results so far. i am averaging about 600 calories a day this week with no more than 40g of carbs and 30g of fat and 100g's of Protein a day. is there anything bad with staying on liquid and mushy for addtional weeks to continue to loose weight?

im so happy with my clarity , health and physical changes that i might be geting into touble with what i am doing. is this too low of calorie intake ?

weight.png

liquids and mushy foods bypass the band pretty effectively. They sneak past it, and the stomach empties faster. The band is designed to slow the passage of solid food from the upper portion of the stomach. So, you are likely to achieve far greater satisfaction from solid foods.

I won't address the calorie issue, except to say that yes--it is a very low calorie diet. Whether this is appropriate for you is something you should discuss with your doctor or nutritionist. Were you told to stick in this range?

Sorry but if you wanted to stick to liquids the band surgery seems like it was not needed.

Eventually the low cal/high sodium diet will catch up with you and your weight loss will slow.

In the long run, its not healthy weight loss. It wont "stick" in that when you do begin to eat, band or not, you will probably experience a rebound gain, although with a band this will probably be not too extreme.

Living on a diet this low in calories you're not giving your body what it needs and Protein or not, you will be losing a lot of lean body mass. These sorts of diets are for extreme measures - exactly the type of situation you're in pre surgery, you do it for safety, not for health, appearance and long term maintainable weight loss.

However, you obviously have good post op restriction still, I dont see the harm in milking that for all its worth - I mean, I lost about 1/3 of my total weight in the 12 weeks after surgery, just had superb restriction and wasnt interested in food. But its important to progress in your liquid to mushy to solid diet, you will find you'll still lose a lot of weight if you choose well, and start to exercise.

my dr. wanted me to be at 600 to 700 calories a day while on liquids then he said i could drink as much liquids as i wanted from his food list. i think he then said when i went to regular food bring it up to 800 to 1000 or maybe 800 to 1000 net. i havent had a fill but im really not starving like i would have been before the band. there is no way that i could have done liquids only without the band for any extended time.

when i do have a blended Soup it's always a low sodium or light vegetable Soup. im tracking my food but dont believe it's hi sodium

after surgery my dr. said he really got my band on tight. b i'm going to try solid foods in a few days and see how that goes. just really happy to be getting very healthy again. i'm sure my calorie intake will increase because i havent been able to work out or exercise much due to knee surgery two weeks ago. been doing some walking well actually hobbling the past week but have the ok for low impact exercise to start today. its a nice day and time to dust off my bicycle.

In the long run, its not healthy weight loss. It wont "stick" in that when you do begin to eat, band or not, you will probably experience a rebound gain, although with a band this will probably be not too extreme.

Living on a diet this low in calories you're not giving your body what it needs and Protein or not, you will be losing a lot of lean body mass. These sorts of diets are for extreme measures - exactly the type of situation you're in pre surgery, you do it for safety, not for health, appearance and long term maintainable weight loss.

However, you obviously have good post op restriction still, I dont see the harm in milking that for all its worth - I mean, I lost about 1/3 of my total weight in the 12 weeks after surgery, just had superb restriction and wasnt interested in food. But its important to progress in your liquid to mushy to solid diet, you will find you'll still lose a lot of weight if you choose well, and start to exercise.

thanks for your insight, i want to keep as much of my muscle mass, make it leaner and build on it. I was worried that as i start to work out again, i will be starving afterwards and start to see my weight increase. funny i feel like a kid on christmas with this oportunity i have been given.

I was worried that as i start to work out again, i will be starving afterwards and start to see my weight increase. funny i feel like a kid on christmas with this oportunity i have been given.

I feel like a kid on Christmas, too--isn't it great?!

Please don't worry about exercising increasing your hunger/appetite too much. I haven't found it to be the case at all. If anything, I have the psychological don't-want-to-undo-my-hard-work thing going on.

Exercise will, however, buy you some leeway in terms of how much you can eat and still lose effectively :thumbup: