Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was also one of those people who thought WLS (and diet pills) were easy ways out. I am curious though about your comment regarding caffeine. My understanding was that once the stomach is healed post surgery that caffeine can be reintroduced to the diet.
Because of the connection with ulcer formation, many doctors strongly recommend against reintroducing caffeine---ever. Some are okay with caffeine, but recommend against coffee (caffeinated or decaf), because it's acidic--and the particular acids may be more related to ulcers than caffeine. And still others don't think it's a huge concern, and are okay with reintroducing caffeine, whether in coffee form or not.

Edited by BetsyB

Thanks. I was aware of the risk while healing, but both nutritionist and surgeon have suggested that it's allowed in moderation after three months post-surgery.

Because of the connection with ulcer formation...

I was saying that to demonstrate that lots of people undergo surgical/medical procedures to improve their lives. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. That includes breast augmentation/lifts, botox, etc. The irony is that the people who partake in these improvements will sit back and judge someone who gets a Lap-Band®. It is sheer hypocrisy.

So it is ok to be rude about their surgeries when you don't want them to be about yours? That sounds just as hypocritical to me. And judmental to boot.

Nobody has ever told me I took the 'easy way out', but if they did, I'd correct them and tell them I took the 'only way out'. Like you, I've done WW several times and lost 50+ at least three of those times, maintained for awhile, but always gained back due to hunger. I've tried just about every diet out there, but it all comes back to hunger. I can lose the weight, but not the hunger. And, if you are hungry all the time, you'll eventually have to satisfy that hunger. We're biologically driven to do that. So, it becomes impossible to maintain the weightloss.

I was afraid that the band may not fix the hunger either, but I took a chance w/it because my mom has it and told me it fixed her hunger. And, by golly, it works. I'm losing weight and I'm not hungry. And, I feel like I can do anything if I just don't have to be hungry. Its awesome. If the 'hard way' means being hungry all the time and gaining back the weight every other year, then forget it. That's no way to live. They can call it the 'easy way', but really its the 'only way' for many of us to attain permanent weightloss.

Edited by adagray

I did take the easy way out. This journey has been very easy so far and I hope it stays that way. The hardest thing about it has been the blow to my bank account as I was self-pay. I could care less if someone thinks I took "the easy way" as if that were a bad thing. I am down 85 pounds and that is what really matters to me.

Well...out of those people, who are dieting and doing WW, taking the "hard" way - 95% of them will gain their weight back!

With WLS, you can't have caffeine or carbonation, you have to sip Water so slowly sometimes it feels like an IV drip in your mouth, you have to deal with needles in your stomach every 6 weeks or so. That is NOT the easy way out.

I have never been told I can't have caffeine. I don't drink coffee but I do drink tea which still has some in though not as much.

My Dr allows carbonation so long as it doesn't cause me any discomfort. I have never been big on carbonated drinks but I have one occasionally - with no problems.

I have never had to sip Water that slowly.

To me it has been an easier way out.

The first part of the process is hard - preop diet, liquid diet,mushy diet etc but it was a lot easier than a normal diet as it was always finite. there was an end in sight.

Since then it has been relatively easy. My band makes me eat less and stops me being hungry all the time .

But there are parts of being banded which are hard. I have always been a fast eater and slowing down sufficiently has been hard.Getting something stuck and the resulting pain and discomfort is also no joyride.

But it is so worth it.

To sum up it is far easier to lose weight than with any diet I have ever done before - but it comes with its own set of "disadvantages". I am more than happy to accept the package that lapbanding is.

For some reason many people think we should suffer and struggle and always take the hard way out. Why?????

But are those people any different to the ones that think that unless you have a BMI of over 40 you are not fat enough to have lapband surgery? And there are lots that believe that!

Well...out of those people, who are dieting and doing WW, taking the "hard" way - 95% of them will gain their weight back!

I was always one of that 95% who gained back weight after programs and diets. The sad thing is I would always gain back at least 105-110% of the weight I had taken off!

So it is ok to be rude about their surgeries when you don't want them to be about yours? That sounds just as hypocritical to me. And judmental to boot.

Are you blind, Missy? I said in my quote that there is nothing wrong with those surgeries. If I need a boob job one day, I won't hesitate to get one. When it comes to wrinkles, I'm genetically blessed, so I probably won't need botox.

Relax, and put your energies somewhere productive. :thumbup:

This is a typical response. I chose not to tell anyone in my family I had the surgery...because I know that would be the reaction I got. DON'T listen to them. I was banded 4 months ago and still don't have restriction...but I have managed to lose 47 pounds in the last 4 months because I eat good and exercise. It's all what you put into it. Don't let others discourage you!!!! You are doing this for you! Good Luck with your surgery! You will do great :thumbup:

I had the same experience at work the other day! I was talking to a "friend" of mine... who probably has as much weight to lose as I do. She was saying how she lost 13 lbs in TWELVE weeks on WW. I've done that... and gained it all back with a couple of bad weekends. So, she started talking about another person we work with, who had gastric bypass. She thought she had the lap band. She was saying how she thinks she's a cheater, and how she's not even happy for her, and how she hopes her "band bursts".

I was standing there, nodding, not saying anything. She has no idea I'm having surgery (tomorrow!). She started getting really emotionally charged when talking about how it's cheating and how she looked into it because her husband wanted it, and how it's totally ridiculous. It blew my mind, because she is in the same boat I am in. She really really needs to lose weight. It was weird how bitter she was about our co-worker.

This is exactly why I only told my parents and two close friends who I KNEW would not judge me!

I had the same experience at work the other day! I was talking to a "friend" of mine... who probably has as much weight to lose as I do. She was saying how she lost 13 lbs in TWELVE weeks on WW. I've done that... and gained it all back with a couple of bad weekends. So, she started talking about another person we work with, who had gastric bypass. She thought she had the LAP-BAND®. She was saying how she thinks she's a cheater, and how she's not even happy for her, and how she hopes her "band bursts".

It seems the saying is very true.

"JEALOUSY MAKES YOU NASTY"

Edited by elcee
spelling

Are you blind, Missy? I said in my quote that there is nothing wrong with those surgeries. If I need a boob job one day, I won't hesitate to get one. When it comes to wrinkles, I'm genetically blessed, so I probably won't need botox.

Relax, and put your energies somewhere productive. :thumbup:

Very nicely put!

After I read Missy's very rude replies, I was thinking of posting something less polite....you inspire me :thumbup:

lol, not blind. I just don't see the difference between one rude remark and another. Pure and simple.

I see my choice as the easy way. Sorry. I am not offended by others seeing and saying the same thing. Why would I be? I have about a 30% better chance than my sweet friend who is on the same journey without the band.

Looking for excuses to be offended is the waste of time in my opinion. Putting the focus on the outside world reather than focussing on myself and my journey would be a waste of time, and counterproductive.

Where that is considered rude, is also beyond me. Rude is making comments about others where they cannot defend themselves.

Ironically, she had fake boobs, her hair was dyed, and she had enough Botox in her face to paralyze a horse. What a hypocrite... :thumbup:

Edited by MissyMS

This is why my friends and family don't know. I think this is pretty hard. I've done weight watchers and been able to eat everything in moderation. These days I can't eat many of the foods that I love. No more bread, no more eggs, no more red meat....What is easy about that?