Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My pre-op diet is officially blown

<TABLE cellPadding=0 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=left colSpan=3>Found this searching under shrink you liver and lapband. Hope the info helps

Pre and Post Operation Diet Instructions

(it is very important with the band placement that you adhere to this diet!)

Pre and Post Surgery Diet

Pre-op diet (7days prior to surgery)

Begin your LOW CALORIE, LOW FAT, FULL liquid diet. The purpose of this pre-surgery diet is to shrink your liver so that Dr. Jay is able to see your stomach clearly. If you do not fully adhere to this diet, Dr. Jay may choose to postpone your surgery until you have complied with the liquid diet.

Day of Surgery

Nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before your surgery.

Post Surgery Diet

Week 1 & 2 (Days 1-14)

Liquid Diet

Week 3 & 4 (Days 15-28)

Soft foods diet

Week 5 & thereafter

Regular diet (with the exception of steak and white bread)

Pre and Post Surgery Diet

7 DAYS PRIOR TO SURGERY

Water

Gatorade

Teas

Coffee

Popsicles

Vegetable/Chicken/Beef broths

Won-ton Soup (without the won-ton)

Jell-o

Slim Fast shakes (limit to 2 a day)

Crystal Light

Milk (low fat skim milk only)

Juice

Boost Breezers

DAYS 1-14 AFTER SURGERY

In addition to the above list, you may have the following:

Milk shakes

Protein Shakes

smoothies

V8 juice

Tomato Soup

Cream Soups

-DAYS 15-28 AFTER SURGERY

In addition to the above lists, you may have the following:

Cream of Wheat

Oatmeal/Grits

Scrambled eggs

Mashed Potatoes and gravy

Refried Beans

Queso

Yogurt

pudding

Applesauce

Cottage cheese (small curd)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jini, you'll be fine. I had no preop diet either. I ate at Charlie Browns Steakhouse the night before.

Your gonna be okay, don't worry. It is hard thats a given but you can do this.

Spyder you're right, thank you for the advice. Thanks Shari for the list and everyone else for the encouragement. I am going to do this the right way today.

Jini I had a hard time with the liquid diet also until I discovered green tea, I don't usually like tea but in this case I not only liked it I was able to use it as a substitute for food! It worked great for me and maybe it will for you also. Good Luck, don't give up the results are worth it in the end.

BTW: The diet info Shari posted is what I'm doing right now. Dr Jay will be doing my surgery in the morning.

I agree with lovecats85, that it is ABSOLUTELY hard to go hungry. However, I do not agree that you will not be hungry after the surgery. I had my surgery 1 week ago, and I have been starving. Everyone is different, so maybe you will be one of the lucky ones like lovecats85, who knows? However, in my case, I have been very hungry, and, of course unable to eat. The Protein Shakes have helped some, but you are only able to drink a few ounces at a time, the stoma simply does not hold much after surgery. Although I am going through a difficult time right now, I am remaining positive and looking forward to the time when I am able to eat like a 'normal' person again. My point is that this is tough, it is not easy, but I believe that you will get through it. Stop worying, it will drive you crazy. You will be just fine. Keep telling yourself that you can do it, and you will surprise yourself at how far you will go. :D

I will admit I had a double whopper cheeseburger with bacon and fries 2 days before my surgery. Everything went well, my liver was fine. :D

Best of luck to you!

Thank you guys so much, you are all so encouraging. Today I got to my computer and jumped on the board only to have read an personal message telling me to rethink my decision and not to do it if i was not committed. I really appreciate all the kind words, I needed them this afternoon. And I have done great all day long.You guys are amazing!

Thank you...thank you...thank you...

My dr did not tell me to do a pre-op diet and after surgery he did not make me do only Clear Liquids either. He basically said anything you don't have to chew. This has not been all that hard but I do miss food. Every dr is different so I guess just follow your dr''s orders. I'm sure you will be fine even after the chicken sandwich. As far as the liver shrinkage, I don't understand that either because I was 300 lbs on Nov 7th this year when I got banded and my dr never said anything about shrinking the liver or anything he did say they would blow me up with gas to see everything and to help make sure there were no mistakes. After you are banded you will feel very uncomfortable both pain from the incisions and major gas pain with cramping and bloating. At least that is how I felt and since the surgery I know there were 2 days in between that I felt hungry as hell major stomach growling. All the other days were fine some days I did not hardly want to even drink Water but I knew I had to. You will be ok just remember you are doing this to live and long and healthy life. It may suck right now but just think long term. You will lose the weight eventually just stick to your dr's instructions. Good luck!

Jini,

Don't kill yourself over it. I came to believe it wasn't a big deal. I couldn't lose a pound before my surgery and my doctor finally said just don't over do it and eat light the day before. It is helpful for both your own sake in getting used to the diet and for the liver reasons, but it isn't the end of the world. Call the doctor and tell them, it will make YOU feel better and I'm sure they will just say not to worry about it and try to do better.

As you've seen by the responses, everyone's experience is different. I didn't find the liquid diet so tough mainly because I didn't feel like eating much the first few days I was focused on healing. After that I did have some watered down cream Soups (that I would have been able to sip through a straw) and that helped. I'm still in the mushy stage and frankly I've been having a tougher time with that. It's just not easy getting used to how little you can eat, and how SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW you have to eat it. It's very painful otherwise.

Good luck in your surgery!

tina

You know, I've been thinking about this liquid diet situation myself. I'm pre-op but have been told I'll have to go on a liquid diet. Here's the thing (and gosh, I don't mean to sound jaded). If you lose a chunk of weight before the surgery (say, 10 -15 lbs. from the liquid diet pre-op phase) and then approx 10 from the post-op liquid, mushy phase...then you've lost 25 lbs just in the pre-post phase...how much weight is actually lost from the band itself? They say that most people lose 50% of weight needed to be lost. So if you were 250 and you need to lose 100 lbs, 25 lbs. is half of 50% avg. lost. That means that the 2nd 50% would be the band (equal to approx. 25 lbs). Is the liquid diet a placebo in disguise????!!!!!

Hmm, my doctor didn't require a liquid diet..or really any type of specific diet until I made the comment that I had put on some weight while going through all the pre op tests. He then explained that it would be beneficial if I lost weight before surgery, as it would shrink the liver and make the operation easier to perform. He didn't really specify how I had to diet, but did suggest maybe 2 protien shakes and a sensible meal. I ended up trying to keep my protien level at over 45 and doing shakes and Soups mostly. I did eat occassional meals, but tried to make good choices. It sounds like you did that by picking the grilled chicken from the weight watchers menu. I lost 8lbs the 3 weeks before my surgery doing this. As far as after surgery...I am 5 weeks out and haven't really gotten much of an appetiate back. Today I noticed for the first time...."oh..I think I'm hungry" But not sure if I'm really hungry or if its just that time of month (which is getting close). But I opted to drink some crystal light...and that took care of whatever it was. Don't fret too much about 1 chicken sandwich. Good luck on your upcoming surgery..hopw all goes well and you are unhungry like me post op.

Melissa

has anyone had trouble with the liquids after the surgery, I made it two weeks but I had to have food to chew on, I have not over eaten, however, and I do eat soft prepared food. I do slim fast in the morning but by dinner I need a smart one meal. My only real prob is with my meds, they really nauseate me bad. however I was banded on 10/26/05 and have lost all totaled 20 pounds............................

Jini,

I to am in the "liquid" phase of my pre op. I must admit, I am no angel either. I have been on fluids for 9 days now. I have had a few slip ups also. For the most part though, I tried to stay away from any carbs, sugar or anything more than a cup to eat at a time. My cheat was scrambled egg whites, with 97% lean ham, one oz. light cheese and an ounce each of green pepper and onion finely chopped. I still felt guilty and I too HATE broth!

I'd like to put myself out there to you. I am willing to try not to cheat any more and follow Dr's orders. Do you want to do this with me? Let me know if you want to do this!

Well I confessed also. I will try harder tomorrow and the rest of my days ahead. Thanks for listening. Know that you are not alone!

Good luck to you! Schel

P.S. If I don't hear from you I wish you best of luck with your surgery and I'll put you in my prayers.

Jini,

Just me again, wanted to let you know and everyone else, I took their advise and called my doctor to confess. SIGH!!!! I feel so much better, I feel like I've been given a second chance on life! They said not a problem, but the goal is to loose at least 5 more pounds by surgery date and NO cheating, to stay on the liquid diet only and no extras.

So....I am doing well so far and being I HATE broth I found a way to CHOKE it down. It's called 1/2 teaspoon of Mrs. Dash to it. Dresses it up a bit and makes it a little more tolerable.

I don't know what I'm complaining about I only have 4 more servings until surgery to go, the rest of the liquids are easy.

My plan; "STAY AWAY FROM THE KITCHEN!"

Good luck and stay in touch!

Schel