Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 wks pregnant - over 40 Yikes

:ohmy:I had the LAP-BAND® 2 yrs ago and just found out that I am 7 weeks prgnt. Totally unexpected and still surprised. Band is still in place - not loosened for pregnancy. Need any and all advice that you all can provide - questions for doctor and any change in Vitamins. .

Hey there! Just noticed your thread and thought I'd say "HI!" I've been banded two years also and am 5-6wks pregnant also. I'm not sure what is recommended as far as unfills, etc... any advice anyone??

Hey there ladies,

I'm 1 year 5 mths out from surgery. I am 25 weeks pregnant as of tomorrow and have only gained 10 lbs so far. My doctor put a weight limit of 15 lbs. for the entire pregnancy because I'm still overweight. I have not had any of my fills removed, my surgeon says only if you have difficulty keeping food or Water down will you need to have any removed. So far so good as far as that goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can keep my fills throughout my pregnancy. Good luck with your pregnancy. Hope all is well.

Congratulations!

I'm also pregnant, but I went and had a total unfill two days ago. Of course, I didn't want to, but I was experiencing 'morning sickness' all day, and was gagging and unable to vomit. Once the morning sickness passes, I can get fills during pregnancy (if I want) with a letter from my OBGYN. I haven't been any more hungry than I was with my band filled, which I feel suprised about.

What is important to remember is to put your band first, if you are experiencing any gagging or vomiting. There are some pretty scary stories on this board about having slipped bands during pregnancy. Even the thought of having to have surgery again was motivation enough for me!

If your not sick and you can get adequate nutrition, just keep trucking along :)

Congratulations to all of you!!! I hope you all have easy and uneventful pregnancies.

As for being over 40 (that was me) I just saw it as a bit less energy and a lot more patience.

in a nutshell- i had surgery in June 2008..lost 47kgs...fell pregnant in June 2009...at 10weeks had all fill removed...with twins...born 23 Feb 10..38weeks...3kgs each...put on 21kgs..lost 12.5 in first week....now fluctuating with 5 kgs to get back to prepregnancy weight..now 3 months on and still have problems with band - too tired and stressed... hopefully in another month get get fills again and get back on track...good luck

I too am 40 years old got pregannt and now am 17 weeks I had 1/2 my band fill taken out when I was told I was having twins (lost one at 6 weeks 5 days) I gained alot of weight as I am one that needs TOTAL restriction at ALL TIMES. No control over here I can't wait till I have this baby so I can get a fill this gaining weight is tormenting me to pieces and I was not at goal I had only lost 110lbs needed to lose 50lbs more :thumbup: But I will do it!!!!!!

I am not pregnant but not takeing any birth controll. I want one more and am 36. I have not reached goal weight and figure it will be another year before I do. I stopped the Depo shots in Nov. The last time I did it took 13mo before we concieved so I figure I will be pretty close to goal before I concieve.

I have started takeing prenatal vitimins for nutritional replacement and Iron supplements occasionally.

I know we all need folic acid when pregnant and before conception.

Congrats! I am 5 weeks pregnant with my second. I am really excited. I was scheduled for a removal and replacement last Thursday but found out I am pregnant -- I am so happy but concerned about the band. I have a dilated esphogas and a hiatal hernia -- it is going to be a long pregnancy! I had my first son a year out -- I had a slight unfill and no issues. (Hard to relose the weight you gain so be careful!)

Rachel

Congrats on your pregnancy...I am 26 weeks pregnant and I have not unfilled at all..I have been banded for 1 year and 6 months and have lost roughly 50 lbs..I have not gained any weight since I have been pregnant...

I would say a few questions to ask your doctor is to find out if they have ever dealt with anyone with a lapband..my doctor has not and had to do a lot of research..I would get on a prenatal Vitamin right away, ask about extra folic acid...and also I would say as far as getting unfilled that is up too, I don't understand why so many women jump to get unfills when honestly I have had ZERO issues being filled...As far as morning sickness goes it is normal from pregnancy to pregnancy and you might throw up or get sick to your stomach...if you feel your morning sickness is getting bad and you can't keep anything down talk to your doctor about getting some medication to take...I had horrible morning sickness and had to take Zofran and it made everything better..but what I was told during morning sickness time, it is more important for you to keep your Fluid intake up then to eat...your baby will get what he/she needs from you..just remember drink lots and lots of water..

Being over 40 your going to have to have a little more genetic testing then women under 35..I would definitely opt for the genetic testing at 12-14 weeks, instead of waiting later..but that is my opinion..just keep your Protein intake up..I drink Walmart brand (slim fast) shakes and eat Luna bars (which are yummy) to get my extra protein..keep your Water intake up, and just enjoy your pregnancy..:smile2:

Congratulations. I hope all is going well with your pregnancy. I'm 41 and 7 weeks pregnant.