Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we please stop using the word "only"!?!

Can we please stop using the word "only" to describe our weight loss? Example, I have been banded for XX months and have "only" lost XX pounds. Almost every time I read this statement and then I count how many weeks and divide it out, it is usually in the 1-2 pound a week range. People we are not giving ourselves enough credit for what we have done! I have seen people say they "only" lost 40,50,90 pounds! I don't care how long it took! You did it, its wonderful, life changing, in fact. I don't care if you "only" lost 1 pound thats one less than you had. I hope we can start celebrating our successes and stop "only-ing" them!

WOOT! WOOT! :thumbup:

Can we please stop using the word "only" to describe our weight loss? Example, I have been banded for XX months and have "only" lost XX pounds. Almost every time I read this statement and then I count how many weeks and divide it out, it is usually in the 1-2 pound a week range. People we are not giving ourselves enough credit for what we have done! I have seen people say they "only" lost 40,50,90 pounds! I don't care how long it took! You did it, its wonderful, life changing, in fact. I don't care if you "only" lost 1 pound thats one less than you had. I hope we can start celebrating our successes and stop "only-ing" them!

I agree. I'm guilty of it as well.

:thumbup: I agree

I have been banded for nine months (this Friday)

and have ONLY lost 82 pounds! :mad:

Sorry Leigha

I want to eventually say I "ONLY" lost 145 pounds. Don't take that pleasure away from me!!!

Just kiddin

TJ

I just did that the other day with one of my friends who had had her band for almost 3yrs, She quickly reminded me that the weight I have lost pre and post is nothing to only. Thanks for reminding us not negate our success with this ugly word.:thumbup:

:thumbup:couldn´t have said it better, thankyou for reminding us and making us feel proud of our accomplishments, we should all feel proud and happy, it´s such hard work and many times do not see it. thanks again.

Yes, Leigha! Great point! Those "only" pounds sure took a lot of hard work and butt-busting, pun intended!

I agree! It kind of annoys me because I'm just starting this journey and never in my life have I lost 30, 40, 50, etc pounds. Pre-op I've lost almost 20 pounds and I'm happy with that! I wish people would realize that they probably could not do this on their own and be thankful for what they have. You see people on the TLC channel that are 1000 pounds and can't seem to even lose a pound. BE HAPPY!!!!!

How about this,,,

I used to weigh XX now I ONLY weigh XX :thumbup:

I hope we can start celebrating our successes and stop "only-ing" them

Word.

How about this,,,

I used to weigh XX now I ONLY weigh XX :)

I totally agree, Leigha!

And I LOVE Whillow's new use of the word ONLY :smile2:!!!!

I saw a good one last night on another thread but I cant remember who it was that said it, so here are 3 examples of really great "only's"

I "only" have 17 pounds to go--unknown

I used to weigh XX now I ONLY weigh XX :smile2: --Whillow

I "ONLY" lost 145 pounds.--TaraJim (I love sarcasm)

Anyone else know of a better way to use only?

I saw a good one last night on another thread but I cant remember who it was that said it, so here are 3 examples of really great "only's"

I "only" have 17 pounds to go--unknown

I used to weigh XX now I ONLY weigh XX :) --Whillow

I "ONLY" lost 145 pounds.--TaraJim (I love sarcasm)

Anyone else know of a better way to use only?

I "only" wanted my life back and I got it!

I "only" spent a matter of months working the LB rules and I got my life back.

I "only" got my body moving 30 minutes per day and the "only" thing that happened is that I got my life back.

I not "only" look in the mirror and am happy with the results, I "only" have to look now every once in awhile because I have gained a new confidence in waking up every day and "only" feeling healthy and happy!

And this "only"....I "only" went shopping for one outfit for a wedding but ended up with "only" three just cuz they fit!:smile2:

Edited by Apples2

I agree!!! Any weight loss is a GREAT weight loss!! You should feel so good about it!! Don't look as it as "only" look at is omg I lost weight!! Be happy with it....You will stay more confident on focused!! :biggrin: