Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Banding Center San Diego, Ca

I am scheduled to be banded on april 14th just 10 days away at the gastric banding center in kearny mesa just wondering if anyone else has been banded there and how their experience was? Trying to relieve these pre-op jitters that I may overlook something! I'm seeing a lot of posts about being in hospitals but my surgery will be performed in an out-patient clinic so any feed back with that would also be appreciated.

Hi-

I've never posted before. I was happy to find someone went to the Gastric Banding Center of SD in Kearny Mesa. I am looking into going there. How was your experience? How are you feeling now?

I am self-paying. Mind me asking appox how much you paid? Thanks

Im going to my pre op appointment there Wednesday I was hoping to find some things on them too.. I'm self pay and they informed me it would be 15,300 for pretty much everything including the fills for the first year... So let me know how your experience goes I'll share mine too!

Hey y'all... sorry for the late reply I don't get on here nearly as much as I did pre-banding! Yes the price is still 15,300. They accept care credit which you can apply for online. Although their interest rate is ridiculously high! I had my surgery 4/14 my highest weight was 380lb. Its been almost 4 mts I'm currently at 335lbs. Most my weight dropped off in the first 6 weeks. (That honeymoon period where I was truly on top of my diet/excercise!) Now I lose about 1-2lb a week WITHOUT much actual effort. I did plataeu at 342 for 2 weeks though. (Vacation!) I've had 2 fills. Should be on my 3rd but I skipped one last month because I went to the Bahamas. (Ps: yes the band tightens on airplanes- awful cramps!) Anyways I'm going in this Weds for my 3rd fill. I already have a bit of restriction. I eat half as much as I use to but still can eat more than I should be. As you'll read it'll take time to find your sweet spot. The short of it is: yes its expensive but its worth it. I survived it with no infections, mistakes or a padded bill. It was a flat rate for the procedure & a year of visits- no matter how often or little you schedule an appointment. And yes I would recommend them!

If you're like I was and looking for particulars, here's my personal experience...

My surgeon was Dr. Martinez, he's a really calm & thorough surgeon. Albeit the center can be a bit unorthodox... the director practically lives there & he had the habit of calling me at odd hours (as late as 11pm) to check if I was coming for an appointment the next day. All the staff is friendly. If you're self pay it will all go pretty quick. Basically you'll get it as soon as you want it. Only 1 week of pre op dieting, which is suppose to consist of liquids only (although they say if you must cheat eat low fat, low carb items once a day but absolutely NOTHING 12hours pre op.) Protein shakes (even slim fast ultra) is approved with their nutritionist. And yes these are the hardest weeks you'll face: the 1 week pre-op & 1st week post op. You'll do all your pre op testing right there at the center, took about 2-3hours. Keep in mind its all about the $ when you're self pay so consult your own physician also about getting the band & under going a surgery- especially if you have health conditions (namely heart issues or diabetes) because you will not get a stress test from the banding center. Stress tests are required by insurance companies becuz they help foresee any complications but self pay they're not as concerned since its on your dime. I never took blood pressure meds before but during & immediately post op my BP was off the charts- (a sometime common side effect of the trauma of surgery & also anesthesia) so much so they almost didn't send me home. Luckily they did because a transfer to a hospital & an over night stay without insurance coverage would have put me in debt! So know your health. Dr. Martinez did give me a 30day supply of BP meds to ensure I stablized ok at home & he also had me come in 1 week post op to check up. He did respond promptly to a phone call to his cellphone over that first weekend. The pain meds (liquid) did the job!

They will tell you the procedure is 45mins to an hour but for me it was over 3 hours. He did fix a hiatal hernia he found for no extra charge. He says thats standard procedure if found. That was an awesome bonus becuz I have no heartburn anymore. I was there from 7am til 3pm. Was suppose to be from 7am-12pm. But they will keep you as long as they need to for no extra charges. Dr martinez is only there on Wed's so all surgeries & follow up fills -if he's your doctor, will be on a Weds. First week post op was not so bad. Yes there's some pain & definate cramping from the CO2 he puts in. The 2nd day post op was the worst for me. I couldn't sleep because the port incision was very tender. (Have help at home!) Don't let the first day fool you- you're still full of the good drugs & can't feel the full effect yet. But it IS bearable. I was not hungry for days post op. The hernia repair he explained caused the bulk of my discomfort so if you get only the band it should go smoother for you. I recommened always holding in or using a pillow or something as a splint when getting up or turning over in bed becuz the port incision is soo tender when disturbed early on.

At first my scars were small & light then they darkend by week 4. But they're not huge & you keep the bandages on til your first follow up in 2 weeks. Fills: he does your first fill 6weeks post op. He doesn't bend on that rule. For me my first one was easy. Its not painful- he will numb you first & he explains what he's doing. His assistant is nice & keeps you distracted. Second fill for me was harder. I had a lot of scar tissue & he had trouble sticking it just right. Luckily you don't feel anything except pressure. He won't let you leave if you have discomfort swallowing Water. So I've never had a throw up episode. I have experienced a slight & quick stuck feeling but that was my fault from eating too quickly. Everyone is different & tolerates pain differently but personally I was back to work in 1 week & I'm a nurse. I've seen some people out 2 or even 4 weeks but unless you're lifting all day I cannot fathom the need to stay out that long.

Overall the band in the begining leaves A LOT up to you. You can eat a lot of things for the first few months- soda & ice cream for instance will always go down smooth. Its empty calories so things like this you must have the discipline to resist. Please have realitic expectations! I wached youtube videos pre banding & secretly expected to drop 50lbs in 8 weeks. Not gunna happen! The people with drastic results took drastic measures. I don't work out everyday. But I workout 3-4x a week. I DO eat out but I try to make better choices. The band has helped curb my appetite for at least 6-8hours even after a small meal. I have not been able to have "seconds" since banding so it does take some of the pressure off you. I hope this helps answer your questions & relieve some anxiety because clearly from my original post I know how you all feel. My only regret is not doing it sooner! Good luck ladies & keep in touch!

Edited by Sashay02

Omg long post but it was so useful thanks! I feel so much better about going in! You can send me a private message if you like always need more buddies

How'd your visit go? It was so busy in there today! Wow, I have some restriction finally!

Great to hear things are going so well. Thanks for all the info. Really helps. It'll still be 6 months or so before I get banded (paying off some bills 1st)

Going in saturday for my band! wish me luck :)

How exciting. How long is the procedure supposed to last?

Mind me asking what you monthly payments are? Are your payments for 4 years? I was checking on Care Credit 4 years seems to be the longest Term available. I'll be thinking about you. Good Luck! :)

Hope it went well moo! I'm sure you're recovering nicely. Walk, walk, walk those gas pains away! :cursing:

2 days after surgery trying to get in at least a mile of walking every day even if it takes me a few times on the treadmill walking for 15 minutes then resting a few hours I might try to get more in today I know I need to get that walking in :cursing:

How exciting. How long is the procedure supposed to last?

Mind me asking what you monthly payments are? Are your payments for 4 years? I was checking on Care Credit 4 years seems to be the longest Term available. I'll be thinking about you. Good Luck! :cursing:

We did go with care credit only because it was hard to get credit anywhere else so meh they are ok we are taking out a 401k loan to pay it all off next month the payments would have been 300 ish a month but they charge alot of interest. But they work I'm glad I got it all done all in all :)

So, How are you feeling? Were you able to walk around and take care of "the kids" or were you laied up in the bed right after you had it done. My family is so dependent on me. I'm hoping it's a quick procedure and I'll be back to what I have to do very soon. Am I dreaming??

So, How are you feeling? Were you able to walk around and take care of "the kids" or were you laied up in the bed right after you had it done. My family is so dependent on me. I'm hoping it's a quick procedure and I'll be back to what I have to do very soon. Am I dreaming??

I'm doing much better today! You aren't dreaming it isn't horrible laying down for me and getting back up hurt the most but the day of surgery I walked a bit at home the next day I walked a mile and my goal 2 days out from surgery is to walk 2 miles so it really is fast recovery and it's important to move around during recovery the bending stuff might be a bit difficult but I didn't cry from pain or anything I had some gas pain in my shoulders and some other gas pain that I just took care of with gasx strips. I don't have kids but I have a husband and his brother that I cook and clean for and I was ok doing it the next day. :lol: