Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Off Topic- Did anyone watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution show last night?

From your mouth to God's ear John - as you can probably tell from the initial reaction here in the states, the push back and refusal to cooperate is a tough to take on as the extremely poor manners displayed toward a foreign vistor with a postive agenda.

I brought my lunch as a child but even the meals served at the prep school I attended were not chicken nuggets and pizza. pizza was a once and a while treat that came handmade from fresh ingredients care of the local pizzeria.

I didn't develop a weight problem until my late 20's, and as a child you rarely saw a "large" boy or girl - now half of my 5 year old niece's kindergarden class at a minimum could be described as "husky"!

In some ways this show is unbelieveable...a first grader not knowing what a Tomato is...or not using forks and knives? But years ago I knew someone who was amazed that my 4 year old was using a fork and commented that her 9 and 10 year old still use spoons because they're too dangerous with forks. :o

I love what this man is attempting to do but I do think half the attitude he's getting has more to do with 'what's that fur-ener think he's doing coming here and trying to teach us anything' than with what he's trying to teach them.

John, sorry to hear of the backlash in the U.K. I'd heard great things about that program and it would be sad if they went back to the way things are just because the children refused to eat their lunch. I say let them refuse. No child ever deliberately starved themselves to death and when they're hungry, they'll eat.

Schools don't serve food, other than pizza day or something special, before high school. Some high schools have cafeteria, some don't. The general law of the land is that if you want your kid to eat during school hours, lunch gets packed. Plus you feed your kid before school.

What I saw on that show was just horrifying. Who serves pizza for Breakfast to anybody other than a frat boy?!

The thing that was the most surprising to me was the hostility toward Jamie over changing the status quo. Seriously, do they think that one week of a changed experimental diet is going to kill them? salad is not a weapon.

JaxNole - I don't think private schools have anything better. At least not the one my niece and nephew attend. The school orders takeout from the same local pizza place EVERY SINGLE DAY. Crazy, I know!!!!!! So their three choices are pizza, chicken nuggets (deep fried from the pizza place), or a packed lunch from home. And you can bet a huge percentage of those kids aren't bringing any food from home. Disgusting!!! :thumbup:

I saw this and was really disgusted with the treatment Jamie got...for goodness sake, he's trying to help the children! I live in Kentucky and do not think its the economic status of West Virginia that makes this bad. I don't have a lot of money, I'm unemployed right now but I still eat healthy! What does everyone expect their children to do, eat this junk and be healthy?

The worst part is that we have the first lady, Michelle Obama who really wants to change things and make this better in schools for the children and congress will never let that happen. I support her 100% in what she is trying to do.

The biggest thing is that its EASIER to just open cans and get stuff out of the freezer...no one wants to work anymore! They don't care what is happening to the kids! It really makes me sad. I know what its like to be a fat kid and be ridiculed and laughed at. No one should want that for their child!

Okay, enough of that! Good luck Jamie and I hope you really help!

Heathan - I meant private schools back in the 70's(when I was in school) - I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that all schools inc. state colleges are following some sort of USDA "required" parameters. My nephew is a sophomore at a state college in NY and he says the food is the same kind of crap.