Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four months post-op and I am all of a sudden losing hair like crazy! I am shedding worse than my dog!!! Any ideas/ How long does it last?:Banane20:

One word Protein. That is one of the effects of not getting enough protein. Up your dosage of protein...good place to start...

My Hair loss started 6 mos after surgery and ended 2 months later. It's worth it..

I wouldn't worry too much...unless it's coming out in clumps or something...the same thing is happening to me around 4 months post-op...when I told my dr she explained that it's very typical to have some hair loss about 3 or 4 months post-op...because of the trauma your body experienced from the surgery and how it relates to your Hair growth cycle...same reason some women often have thinning hair a few months after giving birth...happened to me with both of my kids (both c-section)...a few months later my hair was back to normal....although a little extra Protein couldn't hurt either.

Good luck!

Yep, the surgery disrupts the hair growth cycle. Pregnancy does, too. In both cases, if you're getting enough Protein and taking your Vitamins, most of the hair lost is hair that would have been lost, gradually, over the time since surgery. (Ordinarily, we shed ~50-100 hairs/day. After surgery, we hang on to those hairs instead of shedding them daily; then, BAM! They all come out, seemingly at once. But most of what we lose is hair that would have come out gradually and less dramatically over time if we hadn't had surgery.)

Do make sure you're getting enough Protein. Biotin can't hurt. And if you're losing a lot, I've heard that a salon regimen of Nioxin is really helpful. (Have a hair person set you up with the right regimen for your needs.)

I hear you. Over the past month, I have lost a TON of hair (and I am not exaggerating). I have so much hair and it used to be really thick, but now it looks like I've lost 1/4 of it and it's really thinning out. Don't get it, since I consume 90-100 g of Protein on the average. I heard that it actually stops at 6-7 months post op. Praying to God that is the case and that some of it grows back. Still worth it. I can always buy a wig LOL

I started losing hair about 4 months out and lost until about 7 months out. It was terrible and I increased my Protein like crazy and it didnt help. My doctor said that was natural and sometimes it just happens. Its comming back in fine now. No worries it will stop! Oh and no one is gonna be looking at your hair with that skinny new body;)

I also lost hair after the birth of my kids. I had read many posts about hait loss before my surgery so I started using the Nioxin products 6 weeks before my surgery. I am a hair dresser so I was well informed about the product. I am over 6 months out from my band surgery now, and I have not lost any hair. Personally, I think an extreme Protein deficiency can produce this, but it is far more likely to be the reaction from the surgery BetsyB talked about. The worst thing you can do is worry about it. Go get some Nioxin Cleanser and Scalp Therapy and it will stop within 30 days. I promise!!! Hugs!!!

There is nothing you can do to help with the hair loss..sorry.

While taking Biotin, Hair and Nail or eating more Protein couldn't hurt, it won't affect hair's natural cycle if the problem is Hair loss.< /span>

hair is on a 3 month cycle and will continue to fall out till the cycle is done.

Some people experience hair loss. It has squat to do with anything you did or didn't do, ate or didn't eat.

It will stop after about 3 months or so. I did resemble woody woodpecker for a bit (new hair growth).

It can be shocking I'll admit. I had hair falling out in clumps in the shower and my floor resembled the old west with tumble weeds.

It will get better I promise.

My hair was clogging drain and vacuum at about months 3-7! I got plenty of Protein and took Biotin. It's finally getting better. What's bad is when it starts growing back in and you have all these little spriggy hairs sticking up all over your head!! UGH!!!

I would see those little spriggy hairs as a very good thing!!!!:o

Hey! You are DEFINITELY not alone, as you can tell. I too, have lost A LOT of my hair. Infact, if you were to look at my forehead, you would see a lot of shorter strands of hair...the new Hair growth from all that I lost. It started about the fourth month after I had surgery and it has slowed......BUT, I didnt do what I was supposed to have done to prevent Hair loss, so I wasnt surprised when it started to happen. Now I make sure to take my Multi-Vitamin each and every night, and also take Biotin. It has really helped with the re-growth of my hair and I am not losing as much as quickly. I barely notice that I am losing any hair at all. Dont worry about it too much. It is normal. Hang in there and this too, shall pass! Best of luck!