Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Attaching To Muscle/Organs

Has anyone had their Lap Band attach to any organs or muscle? :o

Yes, The tubing for my lap band wrapped around an intestine on my right side. It also got connected to my intestine from scar tissue. I spent a month in and out the emergency room, 2 hospital stays and finally exploratory surgery to locate the problem. It started with Constipation then severe pains. That was 9 months after my lap band surgery.

Guess what , I am now having the same pains in my left side. I the last week I have had an Endoscopy, lower bowel series and CT scan to locate the problem on the left side. The tubing is possible wrapped around the left side now. Oh and as an added bonus my esophogas is eroding because every so often I vomit if I eat to fast. I read some people on here vomit daily. I can't imagine what there esophogas looks like. I have lost 95 pounds and regret every pound of it. I would take all the pounds back to have my health in order. This was the worst thing I ever did.

ForMyBoys,

This is horrible what happened to you. I am posing this question to the surgeon on how they attach the tubing to prevent the band from wrapping around the vital organs. I am so sorry what has happened to you. I do hope there is some positive resolution for you. This is the type of information I want to know about - - the showstoppers, so I really appreciate you sharing.

The Best To You!

When I went in for my consult I asked about all the different complications that could arise. I was told that those things happen to people who go to Mexico to get discount surgery or see doctors who arent qualified. I just had a Cat Scan of my stomach done today and the technician said he see's people with lap-band problems on a weekly basis. He said weight loss surgery complications keep them in buisness. My doctor had me convinced that the complications were overated. Now that im having more complications my surgeon has passed me off to another doctor. I feel like he has gotten his money and now that problems have occured he won't help me. The gastro doctor told me that he sees patients like me every day also and we all have the same story. Regret,regret,regret Don't be a fool like I was.

Formyboys,

What kind of pain it is that you have? Is it like cramping or sharp pain or what? And where exactly is the pain? Also, what kind of dr did your surgeon refer you to? I had some pain in my left side for awhile last year. My surgeon recommended removing the band since it hasn't worked for me anyway. I wanted to do this but his office would never return my calls or emails regarding insurance. I also could not get another lap band surgeon to see me. They all just referred me back to my original surgeon. Eventually the pain went away so I just forgot about it. Now the pain is back and I am also having Constipation. I'm worried that I may be having this issue and I really don't know what to do. I don't want to go back to my surgeon because I feel they are just money hungry and they got my money and don't care any more. I would like to see another dr if I can find one who will see me.

Formyboys,

What kind of pain it is that you have? Is it like cramping or sharp pain or what? And where exactly is the pain? Also, what kind of dr did your surgeon refer you to? I had some pain in my left side for awhile last year. My surgeon recommended removing the band since it hasn't worked for me anyway. I wanted to do this but his office would never return my calls or emails regarding insurance. I also could not get another lap band surgeon to see me. They all just referred me back to my original surgeon. Eventually the pain went away so I just forgot about it. Now the pain is back and I am also having Constipation. I'm worried that I may be having this issue and I really don't know what to do. I don't want to go back to my surgeon because I feel they are just money hungry and they got my money and don't care any more. I would like to see another dr if I can find one who will see me.

Mandi

At 9 months post-op I started with constipation and pains in my lower right side. It took a month of tests 2 ER visits and 2 hospital stays to find out that my band was wrapped around my intestine. They found this by doing exploratory surgery because none of the tests detected anything. I also have had tubing attach to scar tissue and every time I would turn my body around or bend over it would pull at my insides. This was detached during surgery.

Right now (6 months later) I have a pulling dull ache in my left side. I am also dealing with constipation again. My doctor told me last time and this time that it's nothing. He has blown me off again and last time he said this I ended up in the hospital.

I am now seeing a gastro doctor who has run all kinds of tests on me. He already found that I have an eroded esophagas and im waiting to find out about what's causing the pain. I am anticipating another surgery. The hard part is that I was a self pay. That means that the insurance company didn't pay for surgry and they do not cover any complications that arise either. I am going through our families life savings trying to fix the problems from this band.

Wow, that's terrible. I thought if it was an emergency type situation, insurance had to pay for it regardless of whether they paid for the band or not. When my surgeon talked about removing mine, he said they would file it with insurance as removal of scar tissue from stomach since they would be doing that and not even mention the band. I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of this. Like you, I wish I would have never gotten the band at all.

On a scale of 1-10, how bad would you say the pain was at its worst?

It started off around a 2 and then got so bad I would lie in a ball on the floor until my husband could get me to the emergency room. I was told by my doctor that everyone gets stomach ache. He totally blew me off. It was so bad I spent days in bed and my husband had to help me just to get to the toilet.

I never wanted to believe that I would be in the complaint section of this website. Now here I am. I was in such denial. I didn't think this could happen to me. I felt that I had the best hospital and doctor around. Little did I know that when problems arose my doctor would turn a blind eye and dismiss me.

I was concerned about my health because of my weight before surgery. I now realize my health was so much better back then. Since surgery I have been put on High Blood Pressure med's. I never had pressure problems in my life until this band.

I am so sorry to hear about your problem. I had my band 3 1/2 years ago and until a year ago everything was good. In the past year I have gained back 10 pounds of the 75 i lost and i have been having some discomfort in the band area. My stomach near where the band is located is sometimes sensitive to touch. I sometimes cannot sleep on either side because it feels like it is poking me. About 3 months ago my stomach broke out in a rash but that is gone now - just the feeling like it is sore remains. Did any of this happen to you? I don't know if I am in trouble here or not. I tried to go to a diffefrent surgeon but they dont want to talk to me since I didn't have the band done with them. My original dr has moved further away and now I dont have insurance - not for another 6 months. I feel like I am in a downward spiral and I dont know if I have a real problem or am just overreacting. Perhaps I am just eating around the band and causing my own problems but I cant find anyone to talk to. Any thoughts?

Hi nr1946,

I am so sorry for all the problem after so long. I wonder why the band would cause problems after 3-1/2 years. I do not have a rash. I can't believe another surgeon will not talk to you. That is not right. Can you call the surgeon who did your surgery and see if he can talk to a surgeon in your area to see you? Maybe an x-ray? One doctor visit with an x-ray should not be too expensive. Or call around the area with various surgeons....someone would surely see you!! Don't give up......are you getting your fills? Got to not get that weight back on...you worked too hard for 75 lbs!!! Good job!!!:)

I hope you can get some help. No one should have to suffer. I guess when we install a foreign body in our stomach, we never know what will happen. Please let me know if you get help and your status!!!

I am so sorry for you and the problems you are having. I have several comments:

I had the LAP-BAND®®® and it nearly killed me. All went well for about the first 9 months, then all hell broke loose, so to speak. I developed adhesions, had surgery for them. Then a few months later, developed the same symptoms. Went to the surgeon who placed the band. Was blown off like I was crazy and told "you should be happy with the weight you've lost (went to him due to vomiting and inability to keep anything down). Left his office and continued to vomit and not keep anything down. Survived several more months by getting IV fluids every other day or so that were ordered by Anesthesiologists that I work with. I tried Doctors in 3 different states and no one would take me due to the "liability". Guess where I ended up going?

TO Mexico. I saw one of the best bariatric surgeons in the world there. He literally travels around the world precepting other bariatric surgeons. He saved my life. I now have the gastric sleeve and am living a normal life.

I had severe adhesions once again. These were found during my revision. They were everywhere in my abdomen that the port, tubing, and band touched. In fact, I had an adhesion form under the band (between band and stomach). THAT was why nothing would go down and I was vomiting even completely unfilled.

When your surgeon told you that only people who go to Mexico have trouble with their band, he out and out lied to you. I have lived in many other countires of the world and worked in hospitals in those countries. I had the best care in Mexico that I've ever had anywhere. I AM VERY HARD TO PLEASE.

If you are having trouble with the band, you may want to consider self pay and go to Mexico. It cost me less for the revision than my deductible would have been with my insurance. Yes, I had insurance that would cover the surgery but CHOSE to self pay so that I would have one of the best surgeons in the world take care of the "problem" caused by the band and my AMERICAN surgeon.

Good luck to you and hopefully, you will get some resolution to your problem.

P.S. I did not use the surgeon that you will see if you run your curser over Mexico, Mexicali, etc. in this post. That is just Jerusalem Clinic's way of ripping off everyone elses patients. I used Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. As stated above, I have worked in many hospitals all over the world and with thousands of physicians. Dr. Aceves is definately in the top 5 best surgeons I have ever met. And no, I am not a "troll, or paid poster". Just a very happy customer

When I went in for my consult I asked about all the different complications that could arise. I was told that those things happen to people who go to Mexico to get discount surgery or see doctors who arent qualified. I just had a Cat Scan of my stomach done today and the technician said he see's people with lap-band®®®® problems on a weekly basis. He said weight loss surgery complications keep them in buisness. My doctor had me convinced that the complications were overated. Now that im having more complications my surgeon has passed me off to another doctor. I feel like he has gotten his money and now that problems have occured he won't help me. The gastro doctor told me that he sees patients like me every day also and we all have the same story. Regret,regret,regret Don't be a fool like I was.

Edited by 3636millie
clarification

How did you find out about the adhesions? I just had a series of tests done because I have a bad pain in my left side. The doctors ran all kinds of tests but can't find anything definitive. I think this band is rubbing against something inside me. Im afraid it may tear away at my insides . They told me if the pain get's worse they will do exploratory surgery but just deal with the pain if I can because they don't see any severe problems now. What tests did they run on you to determine you had adhesions ? What symptoms did you have ?

The adhesions were found by exploratory laparoscopy the first time. The second time was when I had the revision to the sleeve. It took about 3 times longer than most revisions due to the horrible adhesions that I had. The adhesions were pretty much anywhere any part of the band, port, and tubing touched. If you read all my previous postings, you will see what all happened during the time I had my band.

DO NOT ever let any bariatric surgeon convince you that you are having problems from being non-compliant. I followed all the band "rules" to a "T". Nothing you will ever do will control formation of adhesions. It is not because you aren't eating like you should, not following the rules of chew, chew, chewing, etc. This is a condition called "band intolerance". There isn't alot of information on it (or at least when I was researching it). There may be more info now as more and more people are developing the same problems. I haven't read/done much with the band as I had the revision to sleeve in 12/09.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon.

Who was your lap band surgeon?

His name is John Olsofka. He has 2 offices - neither one very close - both 45 minutes away. He is a really nice guy but he is always in a hurry and every time I go I tell him I don't need a fill - there is restriction - but I keep gaining weight. He tells me I am "eating around the band" and sometimes I do eat the wrong thing - but not every day. The first year I lost all the weight - 75 pounds - but this last year I have gained 10 pounds back and I hardly eat anything. I know people joke about it but sometimes I wonder if something else is growing inside because I feel tenderness over the band area and cannot sleep on my side a lot of the time. Just don't feel right - and now I have no insurance until next year. Do I sound concerned or scared? You bet I do.