Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So right now, I am in the earliest stage of this whole process. I know I want to do this. But I also know that in order to get approved by my insurance, there's a minimum of a 6-month wait (because they make you complete a 6-month long program before being considered). I don't know if I can wait that long. It seems immature to say that I'm too impatient, but I am. I guess I'm just impatient to start. I feel like I'm wasting time. I know that I'll have to jump through hoops to get approved and I'm not sure I'm up for that. Plus, I'm in the process of getting a new doctor and there's a shortage of PCPs in MA so that will add extra time. I feel a bit trapped here.

Edited by KarissaLynn

Reality check...if you're not sure you can jump through hoops or are impatient...you're not ready for this. Even once you have the band, it may take months to reach restriction (I'm a lucky girl and got restriction in about 2 months of fills). This entire LapBand deal is a PROCESS, a JOURNEY...if you can't wait the 6 months for your insurance to make sure you're a worthy candidate, and for you to mentally prepare yourself...self pay and wish yourself the best of luck..

I agree! Your patience will be tested over and over. I decided to move forward in Oct 2008 and I am finally getting banded on April 7, 2010. It has been a trial, but has given me plenty of time to consider, reconsider, learn and learn more.

I'm sure both of you are right. I guess I'm just anxious to get started. I'm just afraid that I might not be approved. And not knowing is what freaks me out a bit because if I don't get approved, then I can't do this (at least not now). There is just no way I can self pay.

You can do this. I will have my one year band anniversary this Tues and yes it has been a process but one that is well worth the wait. So get started now. The hardest part was getting started after that just go Thur each step one at a time. You can do this! Best wishes to you!

No one wants to wait. It seems like an interminable period of time when you're at the beginning.

It's JUST THE BEGINNING OF THE WAITING. After you jump through insurance hoops (that, incidentally, help ensure your operative safety and postop sucess), you then wait, wait, wait for appropriate restriction.

This is NOT a quick fix. It simply isn't.

Try to use the wait to become very, very well-educated about the procedure and the lifestyle changes it will require of you. Adopt some of those lifestyle changes so that you'll really be in a good place after surgery. Use time time to your advantage.

Really, the wait isn't there to antagonize you. It's there because three-six months is a reasonable period of time to spend REALLY digging into the reality of what will be done to your body, and how that will change your life.

Every second is worth it.

ETA: Do you have reason to believe you won't be approved by your insurance? I ask, because lots of times people seem to think that their insurance companies can kind of arbitrarily say, "no," when, in fact, if you meet the criteria spelled out in your insurance policy, you will be approved. If you haven't already, grab a copy of your policy and read its requirements for bariatric surgery; when I did this, it really, really eased my mind.

Edited by BetsyB

I know how you feel. I went to my first information session in early January and wanted the band as soon as possible. There was the mention of one popular insurance that mandated a 6 month pre-surgery participation in a healthy lifestyle program. At that point one person in the audience stood up and was literally outraged. 'You mean no matter what I do they will make me wait 6 months to get this?'

The Doctor's response was, well, unless you pay for the surgery yourself, and even then, the hoops you go through - all the pre-op testing, dr. meetings, classes, time for pre-op weight loss if required, etc. - will still end up being over a period of several months, and that's if everything goes well.

They were right. I was there in January wanting the band yesterday, and even now if all goes well (perfectly) it will end up being an April surgery earliest.

Good news is I go weigh in tomorrow and I will have lost the required 1/2 of my pre-op weight loss requirement in order to get a surgery date. Cross your fingers for me.

Also, took me some time to learn that one of the entire underpinning themes of this process is you don't hurtle towards a new lifestyle where the entire idea is to SLOW DOWN.

They want to see you take the process seriously, so take a deep breath ... slow down ... you will get there.

Calm down little grasshopper you need to learn alot about the lap band and yourself. I two was VERY upset about my insurance Co policy and the steps I had to complete before I could get my band. Now hindsite being 20/20 its a good use of your time ,to be sure you understand what a new lifestyle change you will have to make for sucessful banding.I too was an impatient grasshopper. Just for the record I NEVER AGREE WITH my insurance co's policy. Lap banding is a deep thinking process you don't want to rush thru..........

Like everyone else said....use the time to prepare yourself mentally and physically for this journey....because it truely what it is....a journey....just like life. :o

I'm in the same boat too, KarissaLyn - I was just too embarrassed to say it! I didn't even think the Lap Band was a legitimate system prior to last Wednesday! So to be told suddenly that I'm a good candidate and this could be the tool I need to finally concur my weight problems and then be told I have to wait wait wait is making me anxious to say the least. From insurance to trying to gauge my future success, I'm kind of a basket case. But I do know that reading all these lovely replies has helped calm me down a great deal and accept the long, rewarding journey ahead. I hope it's working for you too. :thumbup:

Also, BetsyB, thank you for this:

ETA: Do you have reason to believe you won't be approved by your insurance? I ask, because lots of times people seem to think that their insurance companies can kind of arbitrarily say, "no," when, in fact, if you meet the criteria spelled out in your insurance policy, you will be approved. If you haven't already, grab a copy of your policy and read its requirements for bariatric surgery; when I did this, it really, really eased my mind.

The "arbitrary no" is exactly what I've been the most anxious about. It's good to hear that if the requirements are met (whatever they may be) I cannot be denied. :smile:

I felt the same way 6 1/2 months ago, :thumbup:, but it really did pass very quickly. I am now waiting for insurance approval, THIS wait is killing me. It's been 3 weeks now and I'm getting very impatient!

I attended the seminar in January. It took me a few weeks to decide that the lap band is what I wanted. After talking with the surgeon, I was told I had to see my PCP for six months before I can get approval from the insurance company. Like you, I was very frustrated but then I posted up here and received some words of encouragement. As it stands right now I may not be banded until August or September maybe later. But what I have discovered is during this six month period I will be working on my bad habits. I have increased my exercise and I am watching what I eat. The way I see it, if I don't get approved for the band at least by the time the six months has ended I will have started on some new habits. But I am confident that I will be approved (at least I am hopeful). The band is just a tool, we still have to do the work so why not take these six months and get prepared mentally and physically. Good luck to you, to all of us who have to wait. I am sure the time will fly by but you have to practice patience and just hang in there.:Banane20:

As everyone else has already said.....it seems like forever....my first appt. was last September. I just came home from my 6th Nutrition appt. (once a month). I didn't think it would ever get here.....I couldn't BELIEVE I had to wait 6 months....."what a waste of time" I thought. I was wrong.....this site has helped me tremendously......the 6 month wait is almost over. My surgery date is April 9th (pending my Ins. auth.) I can remember people posting things like that back in September of '09 when I first started looking at this site and thought to myself...easy for you to say - your date is very soon.......It will come before you know it - and by then....you will be prepared.

Have Patience!!! and good luck to you.....

It'll all be worth it in the end. I started this whole process in August and I FINALLY have my last nurtionist appt on April 14!! I thought it was going to take forever - but it really hasn't! Yes there were days when I was annoyed and I just wanted it to be all over, but in these months of preperation, it has helped me greatly. I have been able to research and get my mind in the right place. Good luck, hope it all works out for you!

It took me a whole year to get mine approved through insurance, two denials of coverage, and two appeals. Hang in there!

It really is an amazing journey. You will need some time to wrap your head around all of this and also to get real w/yourself and start imagining a new lifestyle and commiting to it. I am now 3 months post-op so a year and 3 months into this whole process. And, even though I'm just starting the real weightloss, I'm amazed at what I have accomplished mentally in this time and habit-wise.

Today as I was watching my son's T-Ball game, it suddenly occurred to me that this is the last year I will be fat. I've had doubts this whole time I guess, but the weight is coming off now and its only a matter of time that it will be gone for good. I'm not 'dieting', I'm not hungry, I enjoy exercising. There's no reason this won't be sustainable this time. Even after all this time, I still have a hard time believing it.

So, take the time and enjoy the journey. What else are you going to do w/that time?