Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, this is my first post. My name is John and I just got banded on Monday. I came home from the hospital last night and so far its not too bad. I have almost no pain except for the gas floating around inside me, but that should pass soon enough (I hope)...I did have a bit of trouble sleeping last night though. I started out in the recliner, but woke up about 3am with a sore butt...So I decided I'd try to get in bed for a bit. I am a stomach sleeper and it is very hard for me to sleep any other way...But I was able to get a few hours in bed on my side, which put a little pressure on my belly, but I feel it was worth it in the long run :sad: I was able to put a long, body pillow against my stomach and kinda cuddle up with it, and this gave my belly a bit of support. I don't think I could do that all night long, but it sure felt good to be laying in my own bed again... Anyone got any suggestions on sleeping positions or anything that may be useful?

Just hang in there. It'll take about a week before you feel like you can sleep on your stomach again. I too sleep on my stomach. I just had my first fill on Monday and had trouble sleeping on my stomach that night. I got really nausaus and had to sleep on my back. All was good by the 2nd night. Good luck and hang in there! It is definately worth a little loss of sleep :sad:

Hello everyone, this is my first post. My name is John and I just got banded on Monday. I did have a bit of trouble sleeping last night though. I started out in the recliner, but woke up about 3am with a sore butt...So I decided I'd try to get in bed for a bit.

I was able to put a long, body pillow against my stomach and kinda cuddle up with it, and this gave my belly a bit of support. I don't think I could do that all night long, but it sure felt good to be laying in my own bed again... Anyone got any suggestions on sleeping positions or anything that may be useful?

Welcome! Congrats on having the courage

to jump on the LB train!

I slept in a recliner a week but my back couldn't take it.

When I slept in my bed, it was the body pillow that saved me.

It helped me to balance and keep my weight more evenly distributed.

Everything you do will be a little more difficult

and things that you shouldn't feel, will feel weird...

for a short time while you heal.

Like when I would roll over or get up,

I could feel this "thing" inside my abdomen shifting.

I didn't like it. But now it's gone.

You will learn to appreciate normalcy real quick!

Nice to have another man on the boards.

The other men will appareciate it,

because they are out numbered!

In no time, you'll be on the other side of the fence,

answering questions for newbies like yourself.

:sad:

I say if you find a comfortable position do it... If it isn't move to another. If you aren't supposed to do it, it will hurt so maybe just keep trying different things. Congratulations!!!! You are on your way to a new life!!!!

Hi John, Welcome to the LB Journey!

I am a stomach sleeper too. Put a pillow under your belly when you are on your side. It helps hold up the belly a bit/ I was back on my stomach in about 3 days. The gas will subside a bit too.

Good Luck!

The people on here are great!

Hi John, I too am a couple of days post op(March 5th). Good luck in the future. The only thing that has bothered me is the sore butt-hips thing, I have always slept on my stomach so I guess the pain is from being in a new position. Cant wait to get back on my stomach.

I was banded on 3/4/10 and also had 2 hernia repairs. This is the only pain off and on that I have so far. I am a stomach sleeper, have sleep apnea also, so I am really looking forward to the day I can get back on my stomach.

Good luck with your progress!

my surgery was march 5th.. so im 5 days post op. im a stomach sleeper to but the first night sleeping on my back was no problem i think from all the drugs the hospital shot me up with before i left lol. but i DEFINITLY agree with everyone on putting the pillow under ur belly to support it so u can sleep on ur side more totally worked for me. last night i was able to sleep without it and i was also able to sleep on my left side(port side) last night but not much stomach i think ill give it a week or so more before i attempt that. i still have some gas i just keep trying to walk it off id have to say the first 3 days was the worst. so hang in there it will get better. well thats what everyone tells me lol so CONGRATS :thumbup:

My surgery was March 10 and I'm in Bandster Hell with bloating, sore muscles and having to sleep all weird. Walking does seem to help but still having sharp pains when I breath. UGH!!!! Well worth it though for sure. Can't wait until the Soup phase! LOL. :frown:

Congrats to all you newbies! You are in for a wild but wonderfull ride. I was banded 11-16. I am a diehard stomach sleeper. I asked and was told I could sleep on my stomach. I was able to do it right away with very little pain. The only thing that could have been an issue (but wasn't) was that the surgery glue stuck a little to my pjs.

Congrats to all you newbies! You are in for a wild but wonderfull ride. I was banded 11-16. I am a diehard stomach sleeper. I asked and was told I could sleep on my stomach. I was able to do it right away with very little pain. The only thing that could have been an issue (but wasn't) was that the surgery glue stuck a little to my pjs.

I'm 5 days post-op, and I still have a little pain sleeping on my side.... definitely a stomach sleeper. This might sound weird, but the only incision that still hurts is where the port is, soooo I end up falling asleep like, holding the incision cuz i'm afraid it will hurt, lol. But if I do it right I can sleep on both of my sides, but I always have to roll over during the night cuz I get sore.

Thanks for all the posts. I had my band surgery yesterday. I got no sleep at hospital due to on & off vitals checks and noise in general, but also when I had the best chance I was having sharp pains near the port side that even the morphine didn't help. That side has been pretty painful when getting up & down too. So I was worried about it. Finally figured out (asked the nurse) that it was probably just this gas pain from air in the abdomin. Honestly, that's been the worst part (so far, anyway). After eating Jello & broth for a late Breakfast, my abdomin has felt huge & swollen & tight. Can't wear normal pants, even my elastic sweats, it's so tight. They say that air eventually just dissipates so I just have to wait it out.

I also had a small hiatal hernia repair & have had a good amount of left shoulder pain (on the front). Once nurse said the diaphragm and left shoulder share somes nerves or something so it's a common symptom to have left shoulder pain after that hernia repair. (COuld also be the gas again).

I'm so excited to finally begin the journey!!!

Thanks for all the posts. I had my band surgery yesterday. I got no sleep at hospital due to on & off vitals checks and noise in general, but also when I had the best chance I was having sharp pains near the port side that even the morphine didn't help. That side has been pretty painful when getting up & down too. So I was worried about it. Finally figured out (asked the nurse) that it was probably just this gas pain from air in the abdomin. Honestly, that's been the worst part (so far, anyway). After eating Jello & broth for a late Breakfast, my abdomin has felt huge & swollen & tight. Can't wear normal pants, even my elastic sweats, it's so tight. They say that air eventually just dissipates so I just have to wait it out.

I also had a small hiatal hernia repair & have had a good amount of left shoulder pain (on the front). Once nurse said the diaphragm and left shoulder share somes nerves or something so it's a common symptom to have left shoulder pain after that hernia repair. (COuld also be the gas again).

I'm so excited to finally begin the journey!!!

Congratulations on you journey!!! Here you go!!!!

Yippee!!! Hugs!!!!