Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's a little thing to most people, but I am deathly afraid of puking. As in I get a panick attack if I think there might be a possibility I would throw up. I haven't puked since I was 9.

I have done research, I had my consult today and am scheduled for April 5, and then I come on here and it's puke everywhere! Vomiting, PB-ing, SLIME (you've got to be kidding!) I understand it's eating too fast, taking too big of bites, but does it happen to everybody? If I'm careful could it still happen? I'm a cronic sinus sufferer, and it looks like post nasal stuff can clog it and cause all this nastiness? Where is THAT picture in my brochure?

Anyway, if anyone could let me know if it's a guaranteed thing that I'm going to be spewing, and if anyone has severe sinus stuff and how they reacted.

Thanks!

I'm a cronic sinus sufferer, and it looks like post nasal stuff can clog it and cause all this nastiness? Where is THAT picture in my brochure?

QUOTE]

FYI I love this line, hysterical. I'm 10 weeks (11? something like that) out and a chronic snot head/allergy sufferer. I have not thrown up once, I have not been queasy/nauseated/close to tossing my Cookies once. I have gotten stuck (mildly) a couple times but it's passed in a minute or two at the most and yes, it was always when i was rushing. I've had one lovely sliming incident (earlier this week) but again, no hurling....

Now relax and BREATHE.......:(

Well it has happened to me. All of the above, sliming, PBing but I have not thrown up. To me throwing up is like when I have the flu and and I heave from deep down ... this is not the same, if food does come up it's like from higher up....does that make any sence??

Howdy,

Sliming is not puking. Neither is productive burping, really. That is just an URP, and up comes the offending food. It is sort of like a reverse gravity. Like 'soexicted' said, not like the flu puking.

I have had a very few stuck episodes that involved nausea and vomitting. I am two years out.

I don't know. If I had a VERY strong aversion to vomitting...it would be a tough decision to get a band.

Best wishes!

i sure as hell do.....jijiijij

good luck sweety..:(

Yep, it's pretty much a fact of life now. But it's not like a gut busting stomach wrenching deep from the pits of your belly Puking... It's kinda like it stays up in your throat and just rolls back out kinda thing... I just grab a wad of paper towels and let it roll out and I'm on my way... There's usually a lot of slimmy goo with it and even after all the food is out, I'll continue sliming and spitting goo out for a while like 30 or 40 minutes... Not continually, but like every five or ten minutes for a while... You can eat super careful, and chew chew chew but sometimes it just happens... It happened to me a lot after my second fill with stuff like runny oatmeal or one of the Protein Shakes even.... It's not that bad and you definately feel better afterwards.....

Yep I would say that as much as you vow to never do it it will happen to you at some stage. For most people more than once.

But as the others have said its nothing like vomiting. Vomiting hurts, you feel awful, it tastes gross etc etc.

When you PB sometimes its easy, sometimes there is more effort but it is nothing like vomiting. No vile tasting bile. In fact the food tastes the same coming up as it did going down! When I was first told that I didn't believe it but its true.

I hate vomiting too - I would prefer any illness than that but the little "events" I have had are not like the throwing up you probably remember when you were 9 :-)

All the things you have read about are more like coughing up muccus without the big cough - not a drama really. And like others have said, if you are very focused and very slow, it should never happen - but I think we are all human and sometimes forgetful :-)

I had my support group meeting last night, and I had an "a-ha" moment when some of the more experienced bandsters were talking about getting stuck and PB'ing. They said that it can happen even when you think you're being careful about eating slowly and taking small bites.

What I learned: Sometimes the difference between being full and being too full is just one small bite. The key is to really take a moment between each bite to think, "How full am I? Can I handle another bite?" This is challenging, because we so often eat with others and are chatting or distracted, and don't take the time to really think about what we're eating.

A-ha!

I have chronic sinus crud, too--and have never vomited. I'm only 2 months out--but have had 2 fills, and one stuck episode (a pill, during the first week postop; no vomiting was involved). I don't rule out EVER doing it---I think most do at one time or another. But caution can go a long way toward preventing problems.

For the sinus stuff, I've found that drinking all the recommended fluids REALLY helps keep secretions loose enough that they don't cause any obstruction. When I'm especially cruddy, Mucinex loosens secretions enough that I don't get any sort of stomach sequelae. (I know people who take Mucinex every day to prevent this.)

While it's not foolproof, you can do lots of things to prevent vomiting. You don't want to swallow anything larger than a pencil eraser; if you start out with bites that small, and chew, chew, chew, your odds of getting stuck are way lower. Then, too, you have to figure out what works for your body--you might have foods that just don't work well for you---so you find alternatives.

From what I understand, the vomiting associated with the band isn't at ALL like the vomiting we usually think of when we think "puke." Sliming aside (a weird phenomenon; the one time I did it it made me feel like a rabid coyote), it's usually the forceful expulsion of one offending bit of undigested food---not the entire gross stomach content thing.

Still, better to avoid when possible!

I also have a very strong aversion/fear of puking. I can count on one hand how many times I have puked in my entire life and that includes two pregnancies and lots of heavy drinking in college. And, I can't even puke when I want to (like when I had terrible terrible stomach flu) and my whole family was puking from it. I still couldn't puke and I wanted to because I felt like I was gonna die from the pain.

Anyway, my point in saying that is just that I think some of us who have a strong aversion to puking must have a very insensitive gag reflex (or really strong stomach).

I was wondering if once I got the band, if I would PB, vomit, etc. Its hard for me even to imagine it. Right now I'm almost 3 months out, have had 3 fills, and have not PB'd or vomited at all. The only time I have felt nautious on this whole journey has been in recovery after surgery and they gave me some medicine that made me feel better so I never ended up puking then either.

I did get stuck once and it was so painful, but I could not get it to come back up. I had to wait it out which I'm sure is worse. I never want to feel that again so I have avoided bread ever since then and I chew, chew, chew my food very well. I admit that I do still take bigger bites than I should, though. I like the feeling of a big bite of food in my mouth. But, I chew the heck out of it before I swallow.

I should also say that I am probably not at my sweet spot yet, but I feel like I'm getting close. I'm guessing that I will probably PB eventually once I get to my sweet spot. I think it is very rare to get through this journey without at least one incident. But, so far, so good.

In any case, I wouldn't let it deter you from getting the band. I know a lot of people who PB all the time, but I think us pukaphobes are probably less likely to have that problem.

This thread was a little reassuring as I am also afraid of vomiting.:smile2:

I hate it with a passion. I would rather have projectile diarrhea than to vomit.:w00t:

I plan on being extra careful when I finally have my surgery but I'm still worried.

This is one of the reasons I put off really starting the process for 2 years. Now, I wish I had done it 2 years ago and I would be at goal by now. OH WELL!!!!

I have only thrown up once since being banded and it was my fault. I ate too much too fast and I tried to wash down my stuck food with Water. The Water ended up coming back up.

What does PB stand for?

adagray said it well. But I will say from reading this forum since Sept. of 09 that most banded people slime or PB. I have been banded since Dec. and am at my sweet spot. And yes, I've slimed and PB'd. I've also had stuck episodes. The thing that worried me about your post is that you said you've had panic attacks. This is not a good thing to do when it's happening. I just want you to be well informed in your decision. But the best thing to do when it happens is to stay clam, possibly try and PB and wait it out. Best wishes!!!

I have only thrown up once since being banded and it was my fault. I ate too much too fast and I tried to wash down my stuck food with Water. The Water ended up coming back up.

What does PB stand for?[/QUOTE]

PB= productive burping

not vomiting but a big burp where a bit of food may be expelled