Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet-help!!!

OK so today was the the day that I was SUPPOSED to start my liquid diet (5 days before surgery). I'm tellin' you guys that there is NO way that I am going to make it! I caved in today and ate a piece of chicken, a biscuit, and a low-carb slim fast. Do surgeons really expect the patients to be successful at this diet? I hope not. What exactly is the purpose of this diet? Is it only to shrink the liver as much as possible before surgery (which I have been told), or is it also for other reasons? I was so weak, dizzy, and grumpy today that I truly thought that I was going to have to go to ER if I continued to go without food. I do not think that my body can handle chicken broth, Decaf. coffee /tea, sugar free popsicles, jell-o, and Water for FIVE straight days. I need to know if any one else out there struggled with this part of the process, and, if so, what did you do to get you through? Were you honestly able to stick to the diet? Did you eat a bit and have everything turn out okay? I NEED HELP!!!

Hi Kat-

My doctor only made me go on liquids the day before my surgery. I am not sure why I only had to do that, but I understand my doctors have the same instructions for all of their WLS patients.

Do the best you can, and try to stick to liquids even if you can't stay on Clear Liquids. The best things I found post-op to stave off my hunger were split pea Soup and Carb Solutions Protein shakes.

Good luck!

Like Bensmum, my surgeon only required that I go on an all-liquid diet the day before my surgery. When I met with him 2 weeks before the surgery, he did suggest that I try to lose 5-7 lbs. prior to surgery to shrink the size of my liver. But, I only lost 2 lbs. pre-surgery, which was fine by him. The ONLY thing they don't want you to do is gain pre-surgery. Even losing 1-2 lbs. will help shrink your liver. If you're going to eat solid foods, make sure it's high Protein and NO CARBS!! In between your high Protein foods, drink the liquids. You may also try Protein shakes, which can be quite filling.

Good luck!!

They put us on liquids to shrink the liver before surgery. I was on liquid for 7 days, and it was awful but I made it through without cheating. Of course, I also dropped 7 pounds so it was worth it!

Tomorrow is another day. Take it a day at a time and you'll get through it. Everyone gets a headache for the first few days - I think it's from the sugar withdrawal. Hang in there!

My doctor also is making me go on a liquid diet a week before my surgery and 3-4 weeks after. I am going on day 3 and yes it is hard. But think of it this way, how would you feel if your doctor said how did you do on your liquid diet and you were to say i just couldn't do it and your surgery was canceled? I can handle the rumble in the tummy for the light at the end of the tunnel. My one cheat is that I do suck on hard candy every now and then. I have found the flavored packets out of top ramen help give a variety. Just hang in there and this week go by so fast you won't even realize it.

I did it for 2 weeks...the first 3 days are the hardest because your body is going through withdrawal (coffee etc). I didn't break once as I've heard if your liver is too big they either cancel the op, or open you up. Both scared me enough to stick to it. I also lost 10 pounds which made it worthwhile :mad:

Bayteelee, take a look at the salt content on TopRamen. It all comes from the packets. It will make your BP skyrocket.

As for the liquid diet, it seems some of you are getting off easy. I have to be on one for 2 weeks before surgery. At least that is what the dr. said at the seminar. It is definitely to shrink the liver, and I know mine needs shrinking. Most heavy people are in the same position. I had my gall bladder out 2 yrs. ago and the surgeon told me I had a "fat liver". I told her it just matched the rest of me. I guess our liver is what we eat too. Shrinking the liver is very important, and your surgery could have to be canceled if you don't do it. I would not want to be put under and have them cut me and find out they couldn't band me. I drink Nourishe which you can buy anywhere. It is a liquid yogurt drink and is very filling, more so I think then Slim Fast. Yoplait also makes a yogurt drink. They are delicious and give you Protein and Calcium...lots of Calcium. You can overdo the Protein.< /p>

I wish you well. I know I will be complaining when I have to go through it. I am a person that can go all day with nothing but coffee but comes about 6:00 I'm starving and want everything in sight. I have only myself to worry about, so I eat anything and everything......not good and a habit I have to break. :mad:

My surgeon recommends a 2 week liquid diet. I just could not do it. My head never stopped hurting. I thought 'if we could do this, we wouldn't need the surgery!" Well when I went in for my post op the Dr. told me that he just wanted me to lose a little before the surgery so just try the best I could. I guess I am considered 'small' by comparision to most that have this surgery so maybe my Dr. didn't that it was that critical to do. I am 9 days post op and already getting sick of the liquid diet so I don't know how I could have done it for a month. I can't wait to the mushie stage next week.

Shirley

My doc (Benevides, Richardson, TX) put me on his Protein shake 2 times a day and a high Protein diet (small portions) for two weeks before surgery. Had surgery one week ago today (11/3) and am now on ALL liquid diet for two weeks. I too have had a hard time with the liquid phase. What I'm finding is that it's a head thing. As long as I know I'm getting the right nutrients (to serve my body's needs) then the rest is in my head. This may sound harsh, but that's been my experience. I try to think about this as "it took me years to get to this stage of fatness, it's gonna take something radical to get me out of it".

That works for me. Make sure your body is getting what it needs first ... healthy needs I mean ...

I was banded by Dr. B as well in Richardson. Preop and Post op is hard, but it gives your liver time to shrink and your band time to heal. You will get through it.

Lucky for my blood pressureis really low and I don't have to watch salt content as close as others. Last week at the Dr it was 99 over 62 so I think that salt is keeping me alive. I will have to be on the liquids for a total of 5 weeks and it will be a huge stuggle but like everyone is saying it is worth it. So hang in there.

My doctor told me I didnt need to do the liquid diet before my surgery coming up this Monday Nov. 7th. What do you guys think about that? I was shocked when he told me that!

Every doctor is different but if you trust them to treat you, youhave to follow the instuctions. I start my one week liquid pre op diet on Wednesday. I can have 2 slim fast shakes a day plus broth, Jello, popsicles and such. They told me if I can see through it, I can have it. I will also be chewing the hell out of gum so I don't feel like I'm totally missing out by not chewing.

I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow, so today was my seventh (and final) day of liquids pre-op. I really felt that the second day was the hardest. If you can get past that I think you'll find it isn't impossible. Remember, you will be on all liquids after surgery anyway, so either way you can't avoid a liquid diet at least for a few weeks. frown.gif Warm broth was helpful, as were Slim Fast shakes. (I had one per day.) I also stayed away from regular jell-o and popsicles because the sugar in them gave me major cravings. I stuck with the sugar free ones (despite the icky aftertaste!)

You are so worth this!!!! It isn't impossible!!! We are all rooting for you!!! Just get eight hours under your belt, then stretch that to one day, then stretch that the two days, and before you know it you're half way there. At that point, if you are like me, it isn't worth cheating because you KNOW you can make it.

Get extra rest. I'm a major night owl, but I was my most hungry at night this past week, so I just went to bed early. It was kind of nice. I never have that luxury! Be good to yourself this week. Liquids are hard. If you need to watch TV to occupy your mind or do something else that you normally wouldn't do, give yourself permission.

If you think you are going to cheat, physically LEAVE THE KITCHEN. Go fold laundry, take a walk, play with the dog, whatever. If you can resist the temptation for thirty minutes, then maybe it will pass.

My last trick............I can't believe I'm confessing this one because I admit it is quite lame. I brushed my teeth constantly. When my mouth feels nice and clean I feel less like eating. Okay, I'm wierd.

Good Luck!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!! If I can make it through seven days ANYONE can. I love food!!!