Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Due for 1st fill - what does it feel like?

Hi - I had my band fitted 15.01.10 and am due for my 1st fill on Wednesday, I'm a bit nervous, does it hurt? Can you feel it?

If anyone feels like describing how the procedure is performed I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

Lu x:thumbup:

The thing that "hurt" the most was the shot of numbing medication, only because he stuck it in so quickly after rubbing the area with alcohol, so it was the alcohol sting.

After that, nothing hurt. I could feel the pressure of him pushing around my port, but not the fill needle.

Once putting the needle in the port, he had me stand up, he took out any Fluid that was in there, then filled me full. He had me drink some Water until I could feel it at the base of my throat, then he let out the Fluid until the Water was able to go through. We went back and forth until the water could quickly go through but there was restriction.

I've had two fills so far and go back for my third fill a week from today.

I think you will be fine. The sheer nerves the first time is worse than the actual fill.

Thanks for the info. huni - it's so much nicer to know what I will be faced with than not knowing at all.

Not too sure about getting up with a needle hanging outta me chest tho! :angry: lol

Thanks again,

Lu x

My Doc didn't use any numbing agent. It stung a bit but not so much I can't do it again. He did have me sit up though and drink Water while he adjusted it. Good luck.

I didn't use numbing. Seemed pointless as you are going to get stuck one way or another. Could make sense if your port is hard to find but mine is very easy to feel and he never missed. My doc puts it in and has you hold the syringe as you drink. about a 1 minute procedure. Very easy. Having it done under Flouro is a little different as you are drinking barium and have an audience. Either way it is a piece of cake.

My NP used lidocaine to numb, small sting but stubbing a toe hurts worse (but then I am a pro at toe stubbing). She then put the needle in, it has a small port on the end that she can screw and unscrew the syringe to as she adjusted things then had me set up. Looking down with this funky prastic port hanging out of my gut was weird but not painful at all. I did feel some pressure as she adjusted things.

While not painful, the absolute weirdest thing was when she started putting the saline in, my port is on the far right and I could feel the saline travel through inside the tubing all the say across to the band. It was FREAKY!!!! I told her it felt like a giant worm wiggling around under there...she said I was weird and people don't usually feel it..SOooOOOOOoo, maybe just me! I'm off for fill #2 in about 30 minutes, woohoo!

Good luck!

I was terrified right before my first fill and almost cancelled and rescheduled since I had worked myslef up into such a state of panic... Then after the Dr. Swabbed the area with an alcohol pad, I actually reached down and put my hand on the spot and said "wait... I'm not ready" and he was peeved and had to swab me again... After that he made me put my hands under the back of my head... LOL... Turns out it wasn't that bad after all.... He does not numb since that would require two shots and I'm glad of it... Once is enough... He also does not do Floro... It takes about 30 seconds and I'm outta there... Very easy with minimal discomfort... Afterwards, the nurse makes us drink a 4 oz cup of Water to make sure we can swallow... This gives us about 15-30 minutes to sit and chat with Prospective and current LB patients in the waiting room and answer questions and just share our story or advice.... It's like an unofficial therapy group, which I like since I have only told 4 people whom I don't even see often... It's my opportunity to talk talk talk about it....

For me, it was a total no-biggie. He swabbed the site, stuck it, and injected a couple of ccs of saline. Then he left the needle in place, I slid over in front of the fluoroscope, and he checked out the restriction as I swallowed barium. He came back over, finished injecting the rest of the saline in the syringe (4 cc total), and removed the needle from my port. He then observed, again, with fluoro as I swallowed barium.

Five minutes of pleasant banter, and I was out the door, feeling pretty much the same as I did going in. Only I do have some restriction now.

I've only had two fills that were painful, and I don't ever get the numbing agent. My doctor had to poke around a bit to find the port for the first fill, which was somewhat painful. Another time my doctor was not available, so the other doctor in the practice performed the fill. He was very quick but not very gentle. All of my other fills have been fast, smooth, and no more painful than a normal needle poke would be.

I was banded on 1/15/2010 also! I have my first fill tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm terrified but I'm sure it will be fine! I haven't lost much weight since surgery and have no restriction at all. I am ready to feel some restriction!!!!

Good luck!

Getting a fill is super easy and no big deal at all. I never look at needles for anything and it always feels the same, just like a little pinch. With my first fill, she got it right away. With my second fill, I had someone different and she had to poke around a bit to find it, but you really don't feel anything after the initial poke so it didn't bother me. At my surgeon's office, they have these adjustable chairs that lean you all the way back and then lean you back up to sip Water, adjust, sip water, adjust, until they feel you have the right amount. The sipping of water is just to make sure you can drink comfortably. If water has trouble going down, they take a little out. For me, I never had any pain w/drinking the water, but I did feel some weird bubbles at the point they decided to stop each fill. I got 3cc on my first fill (the max they would've done is 4cc) and got 1.5cc on my second (the max they would've done is 2cc). I have a lapband APS (10cc capacity).

When I read your comments it does not frighten me because I would do anything just not to be fat anymore. Being fat ishard work. You work to walk, work to breathe, and work to try to fit in. I just want to feel sexy to my husband again. The feeling that I feel right now is for the birds.

queenhunt:

Having the lap band surgery is a good step, but make sure you are ready emotionally for it. I cried so hard 2 days before my surgery because I was so mad at myself that I had let myself go to the point of needing surgery. I feel good now that I am banded (1/25), but my husband and I are having to redo our going out times because they always were eating out dates. It's hard to think of things to do now without food involved.

Take care queenhunt.

I'm so glad you asked that question! I've been dying to know the answer myself. Thanks everyone!

Wow, thanks everyone!!

I am nervous but now I'm weell prepared too and it has helped immensley. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Take care all, Lu x