Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 24th is the day!

I'm 4 days post of and I haven't lost any weight since the surgery. I'm sure it's due to the surgery and swelling. I have severe gas pains and I've been walking as much as possible. I went off the pain meds and just taking Tylenol and that should help with being constipated. Also taking Milk of Magnesia and Gas X. My intructions were to work up to 60 grams of Protein per day. Day 1 I was on clear liquid. Day 2 -4 I haven't been able to drink much Soup or shake but I've tried to say hydrated. I just can't seem to eat although I get severe hunger pangs especially in the middle of the night. I'm sure things are going to improve with time. I'm planning to go back to work on Monday March 29.

I'm having alot of gas pains. I have been drinking 2 Protein Shakes a day, but I not hungry yet. I went out shopping today and got really weak.. : ( I hope everyone is doing good.:)

more pain than I thought I was going to have.....gas pains.... Im getting some fluids down.... not feeling very well...Iv got a serious case of the blues....Im going to have to go talk to someone very soon! why can't I be positive like everyone else? this is a good thing....thats what everyone keeps telling me??/:) ....ugh!

more pain than I thought I was going to have.....gas pains.... Im getting some fluids down.... not feeling very well...Iv got a serious case of the blues....Im going to have to go talk to someone very soon! why can't I be positive like everyone else? this is a good thing....thats what everyone keeps telling me??/:) ....ugh!

Don't feel alone. Last night I was in a lot of pain around the port site. I cried and walked around the house for 20 minutes. I was really feeling sorry for myself. Today I'm feeling better. The gas pains have eased up some. I tried to be off the pain med and switched to Tylenol but it doesn't quite cut it. It's ok to feel blue, sometimes the anesthesia affects people that way. Just post on here and I'm sure someone can always relate to whatever stage you are in. Hope you feel better soon. This is a good thing and this too shall pass.

Hi Everyone! Well I was banded on the 24th, everything went fantastic. I feel great but I am very hungry!!!! These 4 ozs of fluids every hour are just not cutting it. I need something besides broth (can't even stand to smell it now), Jello is ok, tea is ok, and the Protein Drinks all taste foul to me now. Having a difficult time drinking them. I have to go to the surgeon on Wed. and we need to talk. I cannot do another week of clear fluids. I was on liquids for 2 weeks before surgery and now another week making a total of 3 weeks on fluids. I need to have something else. Sorry to complain so much but I feel great but am very frustrated. I hope you all have a good week. The one other good thing is that I have lost 3 lbs since surgery. e

Hi Everybody! I'm recovering from my surgery(banded) on 3/25. I've had a pretty smooth course but lots of second thoughts! So glad the worst is over as far as the pain(which was worse than I expected) Now my biggest problems will be in my head! I spent all of my life thinking about the next meal! That's been the highlight of my life and it must stop! I'm determined, but it will be harder for me than the surgery itself because that part of my life is ending! I'm currently taking 2 oz of broth/protein/smooth yogurt/sugarfree popcycles each hour which are getting easier to take. The first 2-3 days I didn't want anything at all. I suffered the first day from the gas moving up under my rib cage, A respiratory therapist insisted every hour I needed to take deep breaths 12 times to force that air out. So I made myself do that even though it hurt terribly. It has gotten a little easier each day. My wonderful husband decided to make bacon this morning which is a whole other set of problems! I took a long walk and opened some windows when I got back! Hope everyone's journey gets easier I thinking about all of you, We can do this! I Believe!!!

Well here it is...Sunday night and I'm not feeling so well. I still have a lot of the pressure that makes it hard to take normal breaths sometimes and I'm really hungry but find I can not eat much. I know that's the point but I'm not sure what feeling is what....if that makes any sense. Like am I full or am I having gas pains or is it still swelling pains....??? I'm so confused.

I was feeling pretty good yesterday, and today, I did get out of the house and go to the movies. I just dont know whats wrong with me, or if anything is wrong with me....I will call surgeons office tomorrow....this recovery period is confusing and more painful than I had thought or anticipated. Wondering if I should take a dose of my pain meds....???

Take Care All,

Meg

Megg I would take a low dose of pain medicine and put your feet up. You sound like you've had a busy day. I bet you'll feel much better tomorrow! :o Hang in there! Some deep slow breaths will help your lungs/gas problems, it really helped me even though it kind of hurts at first.

Edited by chatty kathy
more info

Thanks Cathy,

I am now sitting here crying and feeling depressed and confused. I feel like I'm all alone. Everyone in my life is supporting me....but its me that is going through this. There is a support group on Wednesday night that I WILL BE AT!!!!

I will also call Dr tomorrow.....just feel like crap in every way...

I don't mean to be so negative and I appreciate all of you guy's support. I guess I'm just having a rough day today/tonight.

I hope this passes and I start feeling better soon....

Meg:crying:

Thanks to all you guys who were banded on the 24 and 25 of march your accounts have been very helpful. I will be banded on the 27of april and your detail account is very helpful. praying you all will have good recoveries and less and less :o gas. Please keep this thread goin it has been most helpful this far. Again praying for speeding and less gas and less pounds:smile2:.

Hi everyone. 5 days post-op and I'm feeling better everyday. The day of surgery I felt fantastic and then it was downhill from there. Gas pains, incision pains, hunger pangs...ugh! And I too was having a hard time deciphering which pains were which. I'm sorry some of you are still having a rough time. Just try to remember why you did this and that you won't always feel like this. Once the pain goes away and you feel normal again you'll be up and at 'em and knockin' that weight off. I guess I was one of the lucky ones in the weight department. I've lost 8lbs between the day before surgery and now. I still have pain in my left shoulder when I breathe in deeply and I can't get comfy. I've been sleeping in our recliner. Thankfully it's like a big pillow and has offered me some relief. I can't wait till I can sleep on my stomach again! Feel better everyone! My surgeon says that everyone right after surgery thinks "What the hell did I do to myself?!" It will pass!

more pain than I thought I was going to have.....gas pains.... Im getting some fluids down.... not feeling very well...Iv got a serious case of the blues....Im going to have to go talk to someone very soon! why can't I be positive like everyone else? this is a good thing....thats what everyone keeps telling me??/:o ....ugh!

Oh goodness honey, what you are feeling is perfectly normal and I have been feeling slight band remorse too. Not like you would think, but more like: "What have I gotten myself into?" I am glad I have been banded but the stuff we have to go through just plain sucks. I hear from other bandito's that this feeling is temporary and it gets better. We have just made a huge change in our lives for the better, it is just stressful. And as if surgery was not stressful enough we have all the emotions that follow a life changing event going through us as well. Did I mention the post op pain/gas???

You will be fine, and you will get through this. Every day gets better. We are all here for you and if you have to go see someone to talk to, or if you are feeling clinically depressed by all means go! Take care of you, no one else will. Sending you (((((hugs)))))

God bless Ruthie.:smilielol5:

So yesterday was a full day. Started off finding out that my brother in law had a massive heart attact and passed away on palm sunday.

So, we are on a trip to visit his family (1500 miles) for a funeral.

Yesterday the family and I decided to get out of the house for a while after finding out the news. We took the kids to a movie (How to train your dragon, very good btw) then to Walmart to pick up a few things.

We had a bite to eat prior, but after the movie the first hunger pains since surgery hit, and hit *HARD*. I found several good full liquid options, and one was the SF carnation instant Breakfast essentials. 14gms of Protein and yummy as well. It helped the scary hunger pains.

Lost another 3 lbs by this morning, and I am wondering when this is going to level off. I am trying to get all the nutrients in that I am supposed to, just hard right after surgery when you don't even want to think about eating.

I hope you are all doing well. I have been thinking about all of you.

ps. Port site looks much better, the sites just itch like crazy.:o

Ruthie I'm so sorry for you loss. What a terrible time to get this news. How are you handling it? Right now my hunger pangs are so severe that's all I can say. I can't even type anymore.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am doing fine, it is my kids and husband who are taking this really hard. And thinking about having to travel as far as we are really sucks. I just need to pack things I can eat. I really don't want to make a big deal of my dietary needs in front of everyone. For all they know I had a hernia repair and for now that is all they need to know.

I am really tired right now and I think I am gonna try to nap.

Hope this finds you well.

BTW, I talked to my nutritionist and she said that the 'I think I am going to explode if I don't burp this instant' feeling goes away after the first two weeks. FYI, it gets better.

Ruthie:thumbup: