Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

18 days post op... plateau already!!!

Hey all!

I havent posted on here much since i had my surgery... have a few things to deal with :lol:

Other then that.. Im 18 days post op , healed fine, mobile, back on normal food etc.

So heres my conundrum... ive lost 21 lbs total. Pretty good so far but most Water weight since my clothing size is still the exact same but my puffyness is all gone.

This is how i work my day ( this is for all y'all that will tell me its just a tool and i need to drink 50000 glasses of water and exercise etc etc.. which i already know... )

-I DO drink a lot every day. water is my favourite beverage and is pretty much all ive ever drank for my lifes entirity.

- I count my calories, and intake no salt, no sugar, minimal carbs, and as much Protein as I can.

_ I walk. I was told i am NOT allowed to exercise vigerously ( go back to the gym) untill 6 weeks post op. After all i had a hernia repaired as well and am prone to mishaps.

- I eat a MAX of 1000 calories per day. and im not weak.

- i tryu to space out my food throughout the day.

- ive omitted all/most things processed ( tried to.. its hard these days)

-im paying a lot of attention to work and hobbies etc

- im training my mind to know the difference between wanting to eat and being hungry. and diverting cravings.

being a food addict is like any other addiction and its hard to break.

so.

i think this is a pertty good program and im enjoying it. im not starving, im happier so far... i dont look like a swollen bloated mess anymore...

so why arent i losing any weight?

how can a person live on 1000 calories ( usually less) per day.. and be mobile.. and work etc etc and not lose weight?

i know this has nothing to do with restriction.. cause no matter if i have any restriction or not.. im still eating significantly less then the average person. and a LOT healthier then i ever have before.

experiences and feedback would be much appreciated... :thumbup:

and yes.. again, i know its a tool and i know i have to move and make wise choices LOL

thanks everybody :P

You may not be eating enough calories. If you go too low, your body will think it's starving and desperately try to hold on to weight. I would consider going to 1200 cals a day for a week and see what happens.

You just told my told story. I am 28 days post-op and I stalled around the same time and have been the same weight ever since. I lost a pound finally when I weighed earlier this week, to only get back on the scale yesterday to see I am back at the same weight although I was really puffy and swollen yesterday around the ankles--water retention. I too, walk, count calories, eat only when I am hungry, I am not weak either, yet I remain the same size. Just through me searching, I have found this is normal. Like you, I still just feel baffled that I have not continued to lose. Some say that you could be loosing inches--unfortunately I jotted my pre-op measurements down, and now cannot find it, so I have no way to verify. Is this Bandster hell? I have decide to not to worry about it and just look forward to a fill and when I can do real excercise again. I figured the 60lbs, 30lbs alone in January was not too bad and to wait--the pounds will start coming again

I am in the exact same boat 7 weeks out. Compared to what I was eating and not doing exercise wise I should be a loosing more. I lost in the first week and nothing since!

oh yeah I get around 1200 to 1400 calories a day b/c I has told not to go too low. I am going to try cutting back 100 or 200.

How long has the plateau been?

Weight loss can happen in spurts meaning you can eat the same for a month and some weeks you lose nothing and others 5 pounds.

You may just be being impatient. relax and give it a chance.

How long has the plateau been?

Weight loss can happen in spurts meaning you can eat the same for a month and some weeks you lose nothing and others 5 pounds.

You may just be being impatient. relax and give it a chance.

yes i must just be impatient :lol:

its been about 10 years and 5 monthes....

when you actually HAVE the surgery and you WILL have questions.. remind me to speak to you the same way.

I am pretty sure bandster hell is when you have no restriction and need to go forward using just your willpower... which yes, is what we are doing now LOL

with my last band there was no bandster hell cause its was a tiny band and there was always a medium restriction atthe very least. losing the weight with that band, at the beginning before complications, was very easy. effortless.

what "LBNDOC" said may be right. im used to eating like 8000 calories a day sometimes. we could just be in starvation mode... we could be adjusting back to the solid food diet. who knows.

im just hoping it passes sooner or later. im thinking of going on clear fluids again for two days just to kick my body into gear... see if that works. i know the body needs a metabolism jolt every once in a while.

its frustrating being in this position isnt it?

but then again, we are just simply impatient LOL

yes i must just be impatient :lol:

its been about 10 years and 5 monthes....

when you actually HAVE the surgery and you WILL have questions.. remind me to speak to you the same way.

I contemplated replying back in the same manner but then figured, ah she's frustrated.

When your weight loss starts up again, you may look back on this and think, "Wow! I was just hurrying things."

BTW: Your quandary is not about using a tool that you HAVE and I don't yet. It's about losing weight and experiencing plateaus. I HAVE been doing that since before you were born.

Good luck!

I want to say that some things have came to my attention and i want to retract some of the things i have said in this comment..I still agree that sometimes we are impatient and losing weight is a journey not an overnight sensation but I was under the impression that the thread starter (Curefortheend) was being rude to btrieger which apparently is not the first time these to have gone rounds with each other..So i am SORRY if i upset anyone and i have already made a formal apology to Curefortheend..If i would have know some of the facts that i know now i would never have said ANYTHING..I am a firm believer in people sticking up for them selves but i am an even stronger believer in people such as myself admitting when they are in the wrong...Again I AM SORRY if i offended anyone!!!

I agree with btrieger Sometimes we are IMPATIENT we didn't gain the weight over night so we can't expect to lose it overnight either..He was just being helpful and I didn't feel the lil comment about him not even having the band yet was necessary...He has been dieting ALONG time and has been successful for awhile he knows what he is talking about to a point...Just because someone has not had the surgery yet doesn't mean they are stupid.. With that being said...

Like others said i would try raising your calories a lil bit..Have you had a fill yet? I know i gained 6lbs between my 1 week checkup and my 6 week checkup but after i got my fill i lost the weight i had gained...Keep ya head looking up it will happen...Be Patient...

P.S. I am not trying to be rude either i am just trying to help.. :lol:

Edited by princessaktmc
added an apology

I agree with btrieger Sometimes we are IMPATIENT we didn't gain the weight over night so we can't expect to lose it overnight either..He was just being helpful and I didn't feel the lil comment about him not even having the band yet was necessary...He has been dieting ALONG time and has been successful for awhile he knows what he is talking about to a point...Just because someone has not had the surgery yet doesn't mean they are stupid.. With that being said...

Like others said i would try raising your calories a lil bit..Have you had a fill yet? I know i gained 6lbs between my 1 week checkup and my 6 week checkup but after i got my fill i lost the weight i had gained...Keep ya head looking up it will happen...Be Patient...

P.S. I am not trying to be rude either i am just trying to help.. :lol:

who said anybody was stupid? surely not me.

I dont feel that way at all.

I come here for support... and nice respectful answers to my questions. not judgement , cruelty, snarkiness, spite, holier then thou attitude, insults, assumptions... or anything of the sort....

and ive had quite enough of that so far...

:thumbup:

thats all, thread done :P

thats all, thread done :thumbup:

Thread's not done until I say it is done. :lol:

Curefortheend,

I also am here for support. It is hard to hear the same old shit from the same old people who have not been through what you are going through! I read on here for support hoping to see someone that I can relate to. I post so maybe someone can learn from me and to get anything to help me.

Some people have this attitude that they know it all and have NOT been there. Please try to read past them (him). People should talk about what they know. I have read things from them (him) that was very informative but not about the band per say.

Good luck to you!!!!

People should not confuse impatience and apprehension and some fear. We all did this journey because of constant failures. When the weight slows and stalls, that fear that maybe you are going to fail again and the pressure to succeed plays a huge part. Yes you know you cannot drop it as fast as you gain and that your body changes and adjusts, but still it takes some psychological adjustments with your body adjustments. I know that is what I am dealing with, so the OP, hang in there:thumbup:

I want to say that some things have came to my attention and i want to retract some of the things i have said in my earlier comment..I still agree that sometimes we are impatient and losing weight is a journey not an overnight sensation but I was under the impression that the thread starter (Curefortheend) was being rude to btrieger which apparently is not the first time these to have gone rounds with each other..So i am SORRY if i upset anyone and i have already made a formal apology to Curefortheend..If i would have know some of the facts that i know now i would never have said ANYTHING..I am a firm believer in people sticking up for them selves but i am an even stronger believer in people such as myself admitting when they are in the wrong...Again I AM SORRY if i offended anyone!!!