Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for March 2010 bandsters threads

Hey Fern!!

I too am a March Bandster!! 10th of March i'm looking for fellow bandsters to talk through the journey with too :wub:

Hello,

I was banded on the 10th or March. Lets compare our experiences.

Steve

Hi March Marauders! Hope folks are doing well. My surgery was 3/2/10 and things are going great. I have some minor discomfort around the port site but it is getting better. I'm still in the mush food phase. My appetite is almost obsolete right now but I find myself seeing food out in public, on tv or at the stores, etc., and wanting it. The visual cues are still there. Also smelling food. It is difficult to remind myself I'm not really hungry. Any ideas on how to help with these situations? I'm open.

Pre surgery weight loss 15 pounds -

Post surgery - 18 pounds lost

weight.png

HI, I am having surgery this Friday, March 19th. I am nervous, but I guess that is to be expected. I am unclear as to how much we are allowed for the liquid diet. Do we drink as much as possible, or only a few teaspoons at a time? I know to sip on Water all day, but the other liquids I am unsure about. Also, how much Protein are we supposed to get on the clear liquid diet 1 week following surgery?

Hi Lynn, The liquid diet the week after surgery is difficult. After the 2nd day, I was able to drink 8 oz. every few hours. I had to remember not to "gulp" my liquids. It is a bad habit I have and I'm relearning it now. The nurses told me to to "sip". Learn to "sip" and small swallows. I was drinking 8 oz. of liquid for each meal and then in between I had Crystal Light and Water. The first 2 days was very difficult to get all my liquids in. As far as Protein, the first week with liquids I relied mainly on my Protein Drinks which have 14 grams of protein each, plus I make them with 8 oz. of milk (the drink is a powder) which adds 9 grams of protein. They are Medifast shakes I got through my surgeon and now I'm ordering them directly through their website. Anyway, that's how I did it. I was wonderful to get to the mushy phase. Reply if you have any questions. You are going to be so happy you got this done. I am ecstatic! Rose

[/url]  weight.png

Hey, can someone tell me how to get my photo that I have on my profile to show up to the left of my messages? Thanks. Rose

I have no problem answering :wub: I'll probably start a different thread on it just because I was so shocked and appalled that we were treated that way, specially in a foreign country where we have no clue where we were and knew anyone, nor the language for that matter.

I'll try to make it short and sweet lol. The "hospital" (I say that because it was a clinic in a strip mall, apparently all plastic surgery centers are in strip malls) was great, they were awesome to me and my family. After wards they set you up in what they call a guest house to recover. they told my family that they'd be all taken care of, they'd have Breakfast, lunch, and dinner all made up for them the next morning, and just a lot of promises that they couldn't keep. We got to the guest house, it was FREEZING! they didn't have any heaters, and told us they had some small electrical ones in storage, but we had to find them, and couldn't find any. I had to go to the other house to ask for the breakfast, if I didn't, then my family wouldn't have been able to eat. And when the lady did come over to cook it, she couldn't speak a lick of English, and acted like we were putting her out, so we felt bad cuz we were supposed to have a translator there, but... nope, none in sight. Then they said I was supposed to go to xray at 11am... that came and went, and I called up to the office, and they didn't know what was going on. We wanted to shopping afterwards to some of the little market shops, so we just wanted to get this xray done and over with. We finally found a guy that spoke english, he said he'd look into it.... he didn't.. I called back 2 and a half hours later and then they tell me someone is on their way to take me. Well, my patient coordinator just got there when they loaded me into the van, and they said that me and only me could go, my family would have to stay at the guest house and wait. She asked how my family was doing, i said, do u want to ask me or them cuz i knew i wouldn't be as harsh, well apparently this was her form of me "attacking" her. And i was just explaining why we were upset and couldn't get a hold of any one on anything. So she says she'll go a head and talk to them. Meanwhile, the owner is all up in my face not being very nice to me, and i'm like umm... ok... so i go get my xray, come back. The owner and my patient coordinator take me into a room and start to tell me how rude my family is, and how they couldn't believe my family talked to them the way they did, and how they didn't appreciate anything, and how much complaining they did, and that they just wanted me to hear their side. Also told me that my step dad packed our stuff and said that they were leaving, and the owner and the pc tried to get them to stay. And I thought, okay, my step dad can be like that sometimes, maybe they were, who knows? All i knew is i was feeling like crap. So he said that he put me up in the marriot w 1 guest and the rest of my family would have to find somewhere else to stay. then as I'm walking out he says to me, when you get skinny, your friends and family will want nothing to do with you, so just be prepared, and i'm like UMMM NO. my family and friends love me and support anything I do. So then their driver gets to the hotel, my family booked a room right next to mine, and they told me that they were just sitting in the house when the owner and pc came in with body guards, and started yelling at them, and telling them that they couldn't afford to stay in a 5 star hotel and that they needed to get out of the house right now, and they wouldn't even let my family explain anything. and the owner, a man, told my mom that he's more of a man that she is..... there's more, but i tried to make it short and sweet lol

Wow. That is strange. You all will have a fascinating story to tell some day, when it's not so painful. You probably should bear in mind that I am a journalist when I tell you this, because it's the way I think about experiences, but if I were you I might consider telling my story to a local newspaper reporter if you don't mind the publicity, because health stories are particularly relevant right now in light of health care reform (or non-reform), and it may save other people from having the same experience (as well as strengthening the case for coverage of these procedures in this country). "Medical tourism" is a big story right now as well. You aren't in Florida by any chance, are you?

If you'd rather, respond to dayharp@yahoo.com ...

Thank you Rose, that helps a lot. I actually have a ton of Medifast shakes from my last diet!!! But, I went ahead and bought some amplified wheybolic extreme 60 from GNC. It has 60 grams of Protein. But, I will not be doing a whole serving of 60 at a time. I will stretch it out to last a long time. I'll try to use up my medifast shakes too.

Thank you Rose, that helps a lot. I actually have a ton of Medifast shakes from my last diet!!! But, I went ahead and bought some amplified wheybolic extreme 60 from GNC. It has 60 grams of Protein. But, I will not be doing a whole serving of 60 at a time. I will stretch it out to last a long time. I'll try to use up my medifast shakes too.

I used the same shakes from GNC for pre-op and only used 2 scoops of powder at a time for 40 g and like 4.3 g carbs. I love the banana cream flavored and even froze it and ate it like ice cream for a change.

I can't start back on my shakes until like Friday, I'm still on Clear Liquids, but I'm sure they'll still be there when I'm ready :scared2:

When did you have your surgery? Mine was yesterday. So far, not a lot of pain but I feel pulling when I walk. I can't get up by myself yet either. DH pulls me up. I have lots of gas too, intestinal and abdominal. I can't push it out yet, hurts the belly too much lol!! I am going to try and get up more tomorrow and walk, I think that will help alot.

Take care,

Lynn

When did you have your surgery? Mine was yesterday. So far, not a lot of pain but I feel pulling when I walk. I can't get up by myself yet either. DH pulls me up. I have lots of gas too, intestinal and abdominal. I can't push it out yet, hurts the belly too much lol!! I am going to try and get up more tomorrow and walk, I think that will help alot.

Take care,

Lynn

You're not alone... I had to have my boyfriend and sister help pull me up, lol, it'll definitely get better! Just hang in there :)

Take care,

Lynn

My surgery was March 12th, and at times it is sore around my port and I'm careful when I get up out of bed, but not requiring help anymore. The gas and abdominal cramping is still there but able to move out easily now. My 14 year old was like "mom, OMG that's better then me!"

Walking helps a lot and I've been taking Gaviscon for the gas pains and it seems to help quite a bit! I'm advanced to full liquids now and it seems that I'm tolerating them well, every once in awhile it kind of bothers me, but not too much.

Take care

Hello Everyone,

My name is Tammy and my surgery date is March 26. I'm starting to get nervous now and I have devolped a cold with congestion the doctor put me on anibotics for 5 days and if i'm not feeling better by wednesday my surgery will have to be postponed. I have been on a liquid diet sense March the 11th and lost 13 pounds so far. I have been trying to get this surgery sense Jan seems like a lot of stuff hindering it. But i'm excited and just so ready to get to phase 2 after surgery.:laugh:

Good luck to you Tammy!!! Better to be not sick when you have your surgery, you certainly won't want to be blowing your nose or coughing a lot. It will hurt!! I know you are nervous, I just got my band two days ago, and I had to push myself not to say 'stop' when they were wheeling me to the OR. Surgery is just plain scary!!!

Take care,

Lynn

i was banded thurday march 18th everything went well no complaints about anything. but i will tell you the gas pains i had were pretty intense my back and shoulder and chest still have that issuse its getting better but boy it has its moments i've walked so much and had the heating pad on it and had gas x but its still there. its hard to sleep last night i was up every hour. feeling better this morning hopefully its going away. how long does this last. other then that it was a piece of cake o ya and the soar throat. i have gained four pounds in the hopstial but yesterday it said i lost the four plus another 3 pounds i no i shouldnt be looking on the scale but come on i had to take a peak. lol