Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i need a refresher...high protein foods

i just need to know some foods that have high Protein, i havent been getting enough protein and my nutritionist told me to EAT my protein soo foods that go in this order

Breakfast foods:

lunch foods:

dinner foods:

can you help me, please?

i dont get to see my doctor or nutritionist til i get new insurance, and i seriously can wait to get a fill, i havent had one at all, cause i been sick (nausea) for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 months (got surgery on 7/31/09)and just started feeling better at the end of december which was when my insurance ended (i had blue cross blue shield child health care plus) i really need one cause i get hungry a lot and i was thinking maybe i get hungry quicker because i wasnt getting enough protein?! (duh!) and does Fiber make you full too, or just make you go to the bathroom? im gonna have my mom get more fruit so i can eat those instead of making bad choices and it does help lol (i feel bad) ugh but yeah and apples keep me full for a while so ya, i made bad food choices for a while but maybe because i didnt know what kind of protein foods to eat? i eat chicken and eggs.. im gonna start eating greek yogurt again and cottage cheese...but yeah can you help me?

Edited by Erin18

Tofu is really not bad, and it is very high in Protein. Salmon, tuna, and sardines are some of the higher grams of protein also. I wouldn't eat a whole lot of tuna though because of the Mercury.

thanks (:

i hate fish but i like tuna lol i dont eat it much

Breakfast: eggs, turkey sausage, Omelette w/small amount of low fat cheese, greek yogurt or 'carbmaster yogurt' from Fry's (if you have that grocery store - this yogurt is 12g per 8 oz and already flavored - not as much Protein as the greek yogurt, but quick and easy since you don't need to mix anything in)

Lunch: Low fat deli meat like sliced turkey or ham, vegie burgers, but mostly I make extra dinner so I have leftovers

Dinner: Any fish, chicken, or turkey, ground turkey, favorite meals I make out of these meats... chicken chili, chicken fajitas (skip the tortilla), grilled salmon, grilled chicken w/bbq sauce, meatloaf (using ground turkey), chicken cordon bleu casserole (chicken breast in a simple white sauce w/ham and low fat swiss cheese on top of the chicken)... Pretty much just search online for any chicken, fish, or ground turkey recipe and as long as it is not super high fat or mixed w/a lot of carbs, it will be a good Protein choice.

I try to eat real food most of the time, but when I need something on the go, I eat the mint chocolate zone bars. They are really yummy and 15 grams of protein.

There are also high protein wraps made by 'Flat Out' that I think are 10 grams of protein in one wrap. One might be too big depending on your restriction because they are pretty big, but that would be a good choice for making a sandwich out of for lunch (instead of bread) so you can get extra protein.

Edited by adagray

Breakfast: eggs, turkey sausage, Omelette w/small amount of low fat cheese, greek yogurt or 'carbmaster yogurt' from Fry's (if you have that grocery store - this yogurt is 12g per 8 oz and already flavored - not as much Protein as the greek yogurt, but quick and easy since you don't need to mix anything in)

Lunch: Low fat deli meat like sliced turkey or ham, vegie burgers, but mostly I make extra dinner so I have leftovers

Dinner: Any fish, chicken, or turkey, ground turkey, favorite meals I make out of these meats... chicken chili, chicken fajitas (skip the tortilla), grilled salmon, grilled chicken w/bbq sauce, meatloaf (using ground turkey), chicken cordon bleu casserole (chicken breast in a simple white sauce w/ham and low fat swiss cheese on top of the chicken)... Pretty much just search online for any chicken, fish, or ground turkey recipe and as long as it is not super high fat or mixed w/a lot of carbs, it will be a good Protein choice.

I try to eat real food most of the time, but when I need something on the go, I eat the mint chocolate zone bars. They are really yummy and 15 grams of protein.

There are also high protein wraps made by 'Flat Out' that I think are 10 grams of protein in one wrap. One might be too big depending on your restriction because they are pretty big, but that would be a good choice for making a sandwhich out of for lunch (instead of bread) so you can get extra protein.

thanks so much!! :mad:

I'm a vegetarian and I have studied foods that are high in Protein.

This is what you could eat:

Breakfast: Peanut Butter on whole wheat toast or a Yoplait Light yogurt.

Lunch: Hummus with pita bread or an awesome spinach salad

Dinner: Tofu stirfry or Quinoa casserole (VERY HIGH IN PROTEIN)

You can also have a glass or two of soymillk or cows millk for some extra Protein.< /p>

thanks guys

i havent had yogurt since before sugery and a couple times after and i had cottage cheese yesturday, it was so good since i havent had it for soooooo long, i have chicken a lot, but i love it plus with some of my fav BBQ Sauce, Peanut Butter sounds good, wouldnt it make you more full if you have Peanut Butter and a banana?

Erin, be careful with the bananas as they can be constipating. However, eating a peeled apple each day will help with that problem if you have it and adds Fiber to your diet.

This is a little chart that I cut out of a magazine. It was done by Betsy Tower, whoever she is. It is done in a prymid(sp?) shape. Maybe it will help you too.

Food:------ Gms of Protein

1cup chicken-- 43gms

5oz salmon-- 42gms

1cup turkey-- 41gms

1c. canned soybeans-- 29gms

3oz raost beef-- 26gms

1c. NF cottagecheese-- 25gms

3oz ground beef-- 22gms

3oz ham-- 18gms

1 cup lentils-- 18gms

1c. Beans canned-- 15gms

1 c plain low-fat yogurt-- 12gms

1 cup milk 1%-- 8gms

8oz peas, canned-- 8gms

1/4 block tofu-- 7gms

1oz cheddar cheese-- 7gms

1oz nuts-- 7gms

1 large egg-- 6gms

1 tsbp peanut butter-- 4gms

1/2 c ice cream,SF-- 3gms

I have this chart posted on my fridge. Hope it helps.

Edited by LollyMoe

Lots of good advice. I would watch your fat intake. I eat eggbeaters. Lots of protien for very little calories. I eat a cup at a time and find it filling. As far as fiber, I'm in the same boat as you, need to get more. I'm working on increasing my veggie and berries. I don't eat other fruit because of the carbs, although I know it's a natural source of carbs. I am very pleased with my rate of weight reduction. One more thing- fiber will help you stay full longer.

As far as shakes I drink myoplex lite. It's at Walmart and I think at Target. 20 grams of protien and only a little carbs and fat. All the best.

My doctor recommends three meals with SOLID Protein each day, too--it is more filling than Protein supplements.

BUT with reduced stomach capacity, the three-solid-meal thing quite often does not meet my protein needs. Inspire whey protein isolate shakes (bariatriceating.com) are awesome (best best BEST on the market), and make it easy to bump up protein.

Thirdly, your powder may come with added glutamine, this will greatly increase your muscles recovery speed.
I would, in fact, consider this an unnecessary extra; my stomach could not tolerate supplemental aminos BEFORE being banded. Supplementing them now would be painful. But eating a wide variety of Proteins from various sources pretty much ensures an adequate intake.

Egg yolks are high in fat and contain no Protein - try to stick to the egg whites, if you can, that is where the Protein is.

My FAVORITE ready-to-drink Protein shakes are chocolate PREMIER shakes...I get mine at costco (similar, but better than Sam's Club) 160 cals, 30g of protein and 1g of sugar.

For powder I like the Believe - Ice Cream Cookie flavor

and also the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate.< /p>

CHOBANI greek yogurt comes in flavors, Peach, strawberry and Blueberry. I get them at my local grocery store or at costco. 14g of protein in 6oz containers, 140 cals

I add raw spinach in with my shakes, to get some extra Vitamins and minerals.

I have a VitaMix blender -- BEST ONE EVER!!!

Great for smoothies, Soups, etc.

I stay away from chicken - it gets stuck. But LOVE the fishes, and beef.... though!!

GOOD LUCK!

You have some great ideas for your protien needs. I will add one my nutritionist gave me called double milk. Add 1/3 cup dry fat free milk powder to a cup of skim milk to increase your protien. I think it makes the milk 16 gms of protien which is what alot of Protein Drinks have for a lot less money with no aftertaste. I use sf instant chocolate quick for flavor, yum. I also add the dry instant milk powder to my oatmeal. It could be added to anything that you would add milk to.

My doctor recommends three meals with SOLID Protein each day, too--it is more filling than Protein supplements.

BUT with reduced stomach capacity, the three-solid-meal thing quite often does not meet my protein needs. Inspire whey protein isolate shakes (bariatriceating.com) are awesome (best best BEST on the market), and make it easy to bump up protein.

I also HIGHLY recommend checking out bariatriceating.com. My Grandma had gastric bypass surgery a couple of years ago and lives for the products on this website. I got banded almost two weeks ago and she just sent me some of their products in the mail - I tried the Peanut Butter Fudge Protein shake this morning - OMG SO DELICIOUS! She also gave me some Calcium citrate chews and multi-Vitamin LapBand friendly chews...never had better tasting nutrition! Check it out - she also recommended their Protein Bars. I'm eager to buy my first supply of stuff after sampling what she sent me!