Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 1.20.10 and scared!!

Hi everyone!

Being banded 1/20/2010 and am freaking out!!

I have people telling me I don't need this ( I have lost 35 lbs pre band as required by my dr), there's bad things behind surgeries, everything! it's stressing me out. I am the most paranoid person there is, so this scares me.

Just looking for some good positive vibes for the day after tomorrow!!

I am being banded the 20th as well, and know that we will both do great. Just be positive and all will go well. Good luck!

A 35 lb loss is great! My question would be, how long would you be able to keep the weight off without surgery? Surely you have dieted before, and lost weight. Are you confident you can lose the remaining weight and keep it off by yourself? My guess is you have lost it only to gain it back.

You would not have considered something as drastic as surgery if you had successfully lost weight and maintained that loss!

None of your friends have walked in your shoes.

Surgery has risks, and only you can weigh those risks. But constant yo-yoing is not good. Don't you deserve to be healthy? Don't you deserve a tool to help you achieve that goal?

Best wishes!

I was banded on Jan 8th 2010 and I can tell you that I was very scared as well. However I am glad that I did and I dont regret anything. Be strong and dont listen to what others have said because until they have walked in your shoes through your weight loss struggle then they dont know how you feel. I too had people telling me not to do it and now that I have they continue to make some comments but I just continue to tell myself that I got banded to please myself and get healthy not to please them!

Stay strong you are on the right path and your journey is just starting. Change is scary for everyone but then again so is the possibility of a shorter life span because of health issues...

good luck and if you werent nervous you would not be human!

I know it can be hard to hear discouraging things from people, but I will tell you that YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING! You are the only one that can live your life, and it's GREAT that you lost 35 pounds, but we've all lost weight in the past, the problem is keeping it off. And, when you have a large amount to lose (like I need to lose 100 pounds total) then you need help. Keep your head held high and keep coming back here for support - WE ALL UNDERSTAND!! :)

Hey Tamra! What you are feeling is absolutely normal. I was totally freaked out the day of my surgery. (And the day before etc). And while there are some folks who maybe had a bad experience, I can tell you that there are THOUSANDS of people on this message board that had a successful, run of the mill procedure (I was barely in the OR for 35 minutes) and then went on to have a wonderful life with the band inside of us. Granted there may be bumps along the way, but we'll deal with those when we come with them. The matter at hand is your surgery date, and it's totally fine to be scared. But don't let it consume you, you know? Be brave. We've all done it (and here I am speaking for all of y'all) and probably would do it again in a heart beat.

As for the folks who say you dont need to do this...Its hard to lose weight and keep it off. The band is a tool to help you take it off and KEEP IT OFF. For me, I'm amazed at how I'm not hungry after eating a small amount of food. But I gotta tell ya, it's really important to know when you (and your tummy) are really hungry, and when your head is hungry. Head hunger is the hardest thing for me to overcome (well that and giving up Coca-Cola. :mad: ) So if you can read the signs your body is giving you, you'll be all set. Eat for health and to keep your body moving. Not because a cheeseburger would taste good right about now.

But I'm getting ahead of myself! You'll be fine. Please come back on and let us know how it went!! Congrats on starting this new journey!!

Thank you everyone!!

I am gearing up for tomorrow, I get my surgery time @ 1:30 today....

I will come back for sure!!:mad:

I have people telling me I don't need this ( I have lost 35 lbs pre band as required by my dr), there's bad things behind surgeries, everything!

Mm-hm...and are these people doctors?

Do these people know what damage

co-morbidities can do to you?

Sometimes other people's fears of things

make them project negatively about the topic.

Be careful not to let that get to you.

It may their own fears talking.

My favorite part of the surgery was when the doctor said,

"We're gonna give you something to relax you."

I was like, "Okay..."

The next thing I knew (felt like a second later - really)

the recovery nurses were yelling at me.

(Jeez, they're like drill sergeants!)

"Do this! Do that! You need to do this! Do feel nauseated?!"

I was thinking, "Where the hell am I?

Why can't I move my arms or open my eyes?

Where's the ice cream? (lol-j/k)"

It's a bizarre experience...new sensations aplenty.

But it isn't bad...it's WEIRD.

The team that was taking care of me covered ALL bases

to make sure everything was in sync...

like what my meds were, if I had allergies,

if I or anyone in my family had a bad reaction to anesthesia, etc.

I got asked five different times!

They really work hard to make sure that

the moment you are under their care,

nothing bad happens to you.

If you are having any discomfort or worries,

tell somebody right away. You should never have to suffer.

The surgery itself is fast!

Like 45 minutes!

I think a manicure takes longer.

My doctor does about 6 of these a WEEK.

He probably could do it with his eyes closed.

You will be just fine, lady.:mad:

And when you wake up, for a few minutes (to a few weeks),

you will wonder what you've gotten yourself into.

Not gonna sugar coat this part...

because your body is a little shocked,

but with even ONE support person at home with you

and this board, you'll pass through that fog, no problem.

This was my first surgery and everything went very well.

In a few days, you'll be back on the boards

asking all the same questions most of the baby banders do.

Then you'll be a part of our "secret" club.:wink2:

First you gotta learn the hand shake.

Anyone remember what it is?

Tamra, you made this decision on your own. Go with your gut. I had my surgery 1/8/09 and then had it all over again in August to remove some scar tissue from around the band. If I can go through it twice, you can go through it once. The benefits outweigh the things you have to go through to get there. Like one of the other posters said, they will make sure you are comfortable and take great care of you. Just look at it as a new journey that you are about to take. And believe me, after losing 85 lbs. I feel great. I know you will too. You will do fine. It is normal to have the jitters. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I was not freaked out at all. It will be fine and my only regret is that I waited all through my 30's ( and wasted the end of the pretty years LOL) as I ballooned and ballooned and finally at 40 did this. I guess age brings wisdom. You will be fine! Best to you.

First of all, congrats on the pre-op loss ..thats great!!!!! As for the surgery, I was just banded last monday (1/11) and it was cake. I was up walking as soon as i was out of the recovery room! There will be quite a bit of gas but thats really the only uncomfortable part and as long as you are up and walking it will work itself right out. Don't be scared, it will be worth it in the end. Small price to pay for something that will change your life ...ya know? Good luck and stay positive!!!