Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2010 bandsters...

Hi everybody,

I am reposting this as I didn't get any replies on the other January Bandster thread. wanted to put out a question to anyone that would like to answer.

I'm trying to set some reasonable goals pertaining to the scale. I have other non scale goals set already which I'm doing great with. However, I'm horrible with setting goals for weight loss. I always over estimate and then feel bad for a day or two if I don't meet them.

So I'm looking for a good solid approach to setting some shorter term (1-month, 2 month, holiday target etc...) weight goals.

How are you all doing it? I'd love to hear!

Thanks!

Claricey

I'm trying to set some reasonable goals pertaining to the scale. I have other non scale goals set already which I'm doing great with. However, I'm horrible with setting goals for weight loss. I always over estimate and then feel bad for a day or two if I don't meet them.

So I'm looking for a good solid approach to setting some shorter term (1-month, 2 month, holiday target etc...) weight goals.

How are you all doing it? I'd love to hear!

Thanks!

Claricey

I got myself a notebook, and listed every Wednesday (my surgery day) through August. I set ambitious goals for each week, 2 pounds lost. Each week has my weight going down by two pounds until I get to my goal weight. Right now, I'm ahead of my weekly goal, and it feels great! I've lost 23 pounds in 9 weeks. If you don't want to be as ambitious (as it could backfire on me!), I would go with one pound a week. I think it really helps me to see the pacing, and gives me something to work towards regarding the scale. :)

I got myself a notebook, and listed every Wednesday (my surgery day) through August. I set ambitious goals for each week, 2 pounds lost. Each week has my weight going down by two pounds until I get to my goal weight. Right now, I'm ahead of my weekly goal, and it feels great! I've lost 23 pounds in 9 weeks. If you don't want to be as ambitious (as it could backfire on me!), I would go with one pound a week. I think it really helps me to see the pacing, and gives me something to work towards regarding the scale. :)

Hey Sawyer! I really like that idea, thanks.

Congrats on your success and keep up the good work!!

Claricey

I go through phases of goals.. like sprints... sometimes I can manage the two pounds or so a week.. then I am off the wagon...

Then.. I get back on the wagon and lose some more...

For me I am trying to make small lifelong changes... I am trying to approach this different than everything else I have done...

I have avoided the scale because I will become obsessed... I record my weight when I go to the doc each time...I can "feel" the weightloss though.. some days are when I "feel" smaller.. on those days I do a measurement.

I use my hips as a guide...I know that with every inchloss that I am losing about ten pounds... so I get happy knowing the measurement is going down... it is a weird tool... but it works for me...

I also have the skirt... I try on the same skirt about every four or five days...as it gets looser I feel better...

So for my advice.. I am focusing on inches and the way clothes fit...that is how I am judging my success...

And oh.. the photos.. take photos every week or two.. you will not regret seeing your success... always compare your latest photo with your first... sometimes you can't tell the difference between last week and this week.. but you can tell a difference between day 1 and week 6....

I hope that helps:):laugh::)

I go through phases of goals.. like sprints... sometimes I can manage the two pounds or so a week.. then I am off the wagon...

Then.. I get back on the wagon and lose some more...

For me I am trying to make small lifelong changes... I am trying to approach this different than everything else I have done...

I have avoided the scale because I will become obsessed... I record my weight when I go to the doc each time...I can "feel" the weightloss though.. some days are when I "feel" smaller.. on those days I do a measurement.

I use my hips as a guide...I know that with every inchloss that I am losing about ten pounds... so I get happy knowing the measurement is going down... it is a weird tool... but it works for me...

I also have the skirt... I try on the same skirt about every four or five days...as it gets looser I feel better...

So for my advice.. I am focusing on inches and the way clothes fit...that is how I am judging my success...

And oh.. the photos.. take photos every week or two.. you will not regret seeing your success... always compare your latest photo with your first... sometimes you can't tell the difference between last week and this week.. but you can tell a difference between day 1 and week 6....

I hope that helps:):tt1::)

Thanks Jen! Love the ideas and your great attitude!!

I am taking pics every month but haven't looked back at them yet. I think I will wait for the next ones in Early April to really compare. That in and of itself will be a mini-goal!

Take care and here's to a great start to the week!! :o

Claricey

you're going great!do you still vomit and feel sick-even when you might overeat? I'm still debating about the surgery. I have IRRIABLE BOWEL bad and in pain all the time and don't want to feel sicker. the surgent says go ahead and try it-I'm chicken, do you have Hair loss? trouble swolling pills -I would appriciate anyone writting me...thanks, Karen

I think I need to get away from the scales. I weigh myself every day and get depressed because I'm not losing like I should. I have gone 2 weeks and bounce up and down 2-4 lbs.

Jen - I like your idea of measuring. I haven't measured myself at all yet. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

Good luck everyone!

The picture idea worked for me. I had my son take pics of me the night before surgery. I had him take some more last night. WOW!! My profile view is unbelievable and it got me so excited. What a motivation to keep up with what I'm doing. 30 pounds has made a huge difference, so I can't wait to see what the next 30 will be like!

HI GROUP!!

Photos and measurements make sense, as the scale can be so fickle. I was the poster girl for the band and not only didn't lose for two weeks but gained two pounds. Have since taken it off but...it's crazy-making. I haven't been home where there is a scale for about a week, so I don't know how much more I've lose, but I certainly feel it in my clothes. Went foe a walk and -- literally -- my panties fell off. LOL. Then there's the irony of losing from places where I least need to lose, like my butt and upper legs, which were already small...instead of my stomach and back. Sheesh. Just went down again on my prednisone, so I'm at 15 mg a day.

Does anyone else find that it feels like sometimes their band is working and sometimes it isn't? Some meals I can eat very little and feel full. Other meals I feel like I don't have a band at all and can totally eat what used to be a "normal" sized meal. Don't really understand that. Anyone? Beuller?:thumbup:

Does anyone else find that it feels like sometimes their band is working and sometimes it isn't? Some meals I can eat very little and feel full. Other meals I feel like I don't have a band at all and can totally eat what used to be a "normal" sized meal. Don't really understand that. Anyone? Beuller?:Banane20:

Yes, I get the same! Some days I'm satisfied, others I can (but DON'T!) eat the world. I don't understand it either.

HI GROUP!!

Does anyone else find that it feels like sometimes their band is working and sometimes it isn't? Some meals I can eat very little and feel full. Other meals I feel like I don't have a band at all and can totally eat what used to be a "normal" sized meal. Don't really understand that. Anyone? Beuller?:huggie:

Oh my goodness, YES! There are days where I can barely swallow anything w/o feeling like it's going to get stuck. And then there are days that I want to go HOG WILD and eat everything! I guess it's just a balance we have to find for ourselves. I'm still losing, so I'll take the ups and downs. :Banane20:

It's been a few weeks since my last fill and I'm not in a real hurry to get my next one. I have a feeling this next one will do it for me, and for some reason, I'm a little scared. I've yet to have a PB or sliming experience and I really don't look forward to that. :Banane20:

I would go so far to say that things I eat in the morning I cannot eat at night...

But I go through the same thing... wondering what will work today....so I have lots of Soup.. just in case...

I am finding the mushies are still the best.. or the other night I had some really moist pot roast...

It is pitiful how much I eat... compared to what I used to.. according to the plate I should have lost a 100 pounds already:):o

I often find myself still making a normal plate and then putting it in tupperware when I realize I can only eat a little bit... which reminds me.. I have to get more tupperware because it is ALLLL in the fridge:):smilielol5:

Funny the new problems we are having.. but I would rather have tupperware problems than binging problems on the best mashed potatoes ever:):cursing: I made five pounds of potatos which for my family of four would last two meals... yah... they are all in tupperware:):thumbup: next time.. two pounds:):rant:

Hang in there everyone...

Jennifer

HOWDY GROUP...

I confess. I am a scale junkie. I bought a doctor's scale so that I'm sure it's accurate. I get on it every day, sometimes multiple times. For me, this actually works. It helps me regulate my diet -- a little more, a little less, ect. When I'm away from home for days at a time (traveling, usually to LA for work on TV projects) I don't weigh myself and I'm ok with that. However I have been known to eat more when I'm not weighing myself. So for me, weighing myself helps keep me conscious and present in my journey.

I'm going through lots of rough stuff, personally and financially...however the path I am toward being healthier and thinner is the one thing I feel entirely great about. Yep, wish it went faster. And some days my "normal" appetite comes roaring back and it is truly torture not to eat. For me the lack of hunger is the greatest thing about the band.

But.

I will get to my goal. I will let what I'm accomplishing radiate to the other parts of my life. I will get myself back. And I will go on.

BANDED: JAN 14

PRE-SURGERY DIET NONE

WEIGHT AT BANDING: 258

WEIGHT TODAY: 212 (MAY 31)

WEIGHT LOSS TO DATE: 46 POUNDS

WEIGHT LOSS LEFT TO GOAL: 52

(I AM ALMOST HALF WAY THERE)

I am relatively new to this forum. I was banded on January 8th at 6AM. I went to the doctor two weeks ago and had lost 95 pounds ( its closer to 102 now). I have not had any problems with my band and hope things continue to go well.

Pre-OP weight: 348

Surgery Day Weight: 324

Current Weight: 246

I have made a lot of progress and feel like my hard work in the gym is really paying off. I hope things are going well for everydoby.:ohmy:

I haven't posted any before/during pics or updates, so I thought I should. I was banded Jan 4, 2010, and have lost 60 lbs. From 287.5 to 227.5

post-282258-13813139471959_thumb.jpg

post-282258-13813139472348_thumb.jpg

post-282258-13813139472734_thumb.jpg

post-282258-13813139473092_thumb.jpg