Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you a man, a woman or something else?

What is your gender?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What is your gender?

• Male
    • Female
    • Other

I am curious as to the percentage of men that are participating on this site.

It seems to me that you will find out what you have already figured out. There are very few men here, but I hope you stick around. I hope you can put up with how women are and look at it in a positive way.

It seems to me that you will find out what you have already figured out. There are very few men here, but I hope you stick around. I hope you can put up with how women are and look at it in a positive way.

I know that most of you are women. I am just curious as of the ratio and how many many are going to have to put up with me. :blushing:

Thanks for responding

I just wanted to say thank you for providing an "other" category for individuals who identify with a gender other than male or female. I hope people take it seriously because it is respectful to recognize that not everyone is either a man or a woman.

High-five for you lol.

I just wanted to say thank you for providing an "other" category for individuals who identify with a gender other than male or female. I hope people take it seriously because it is respectful to recognize that not everyone is either a man or a woman.

High-five for you lol.

Huh?

Extra characters added to meet minimum character requirement.

Huh?

QUOTE]

What part don't you understand? I'd be happy to educate you.

Male or female. Penis or vagina. What else is there unless you think you are an animal? Even transgendered will identify as one or the other. So yeah, I don't get it. Please do educate me.

lol ... OH, I gotta hear this !

Male or female. Penis or vagina. What else is there unless you think you are an animal? Even transgendered will identify as one or the other. So yeah, I don't get it. Please do educate me.

First let's start with some basics.

*Sex - biological characteristics (XX=female, XY=male)

*Gender - socially constructed ideals about males and females

*Transgender - an individual who feels that they are neither male or female OR a male who subscribes to stereotypical female gendered scripts OR a female who identifies with male gender roles

*Transexual - an individual who has reconstructive surgery to alter their reproductive organs to identify with a male or female

*Intersexual - an individual who has intermingled male/female sex characteristics (previously "hermaphroditism")

- This occurs in 1.7% of live human births (Almost 2 out of every 100 babies born)

-How? Typically when a baby is born the genitalia clearly identify the baby as either a male or female, but there are measurements that a doctor can do to check as well. Believe it or not, the clitoris is the equvalent of the penis (external genitalia) (I can explain this too if you'd like).

.5-1cm external genitalia is considered a clitoris (female)

2.5-4.5cm external genitalia is considered a penis (male)

So what about the gap in between?? = INTERSEXUALITY

Many things can cause this to happen:

Turner Syndrome (XO chromosomes) =1 in 2,500 female births (the uterus and ovaries are missing)

Klinefelter Syndrome (XXY chromosomes) 1 in 600 births (small penis/testes, feminized hips, small breasts)

XYY Syndrome = 1 in 1,000 births (males are taller than average)

Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) = adrenal glands produce abnormally high amounts of androgens (male hormones) (the individual has a uterus and either a large clitoris or small penis)

Androgen-Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS) = genetic males cannot utilize androgen (they don't have internal reproductive organs, but they do have a small penis)

5 Alpha-Reductase Deficiency = prevents prenatal differentiation of the external genetalia tissue into a penis (there is no penis but the individual has facial hair, deep voice, broad shoulders)

Many times when there is any speculation as to a baby's sex, the doctors perform a surgery that shapes the genitalia into a clitoris, whether or not that baby had ovaries or not....leaving many males with clitorises.

So as you can see, it IS possible for an individual to be neither a male or a female. And who's to say they have to choose? Please be respectful of these individuals because 1-2 out of every 100 people that you know could be intersexed!

*This information was typed by myself from a feminist course taught at Kansas State University in 2009. I am a Psychology major and a Women's Studies minor, as well as a minor in Nonviolent Studies. If you have any more questions or would like to know more about anything that I discussed, I will answer them with the training that I have recieved.

Great job KState Army Wife! I'd love to know what are nonviolent studies?

LOL, is someone taking an anatomy class? AP201?

oh, now I see, It's a feminist course

It's where they don't punch somebody in the crotch to see if they have testicles. :smile2:

Wow, I didn't mean to start this whole conversation with the poll but am amused. Keep it up.

It's where they don't punch somebody in the crotch to see if they have testicles. :smile2:

Wow, I didn't mean to start this whole conversation with the poll but am amused. Keep it up.

I'd love to know what your intention was to provide an "other" category in the poll. Were you being facetious or genuinely being considerate?

Nonviolent Studies aims to combat:

Domestic Violence (for ALL PEOPLE)

Stalking

Violence in Schools (school shootings, bullying, etc.)

Discrimination (based on race or ethnicity, gender, sexual preference, etc.)

and Sexual Abuse (for children as well as adults)

And yes, Nonviolent Studies are also feminist because feminists believe that ALL PEOPLE (young, old, men, women, intersexed, gays, lesbians, *I could go on forever) have a basic human right to feel safe and free from harm.

Male here, with all the appropriate plumbing. Banded 12/15/09, first fill coming 01/25/10...Dan.