Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I keep on going back and forth about whether or not to get the surgery. I have had so many failed attempts to lose weight, and I am still young, I don't want to spend the rest of my life over weight. Every time I read the complications of the lap band surgery, it makes me so scared. I am so afraid of the surgery it self. I am scared of the anesthesia, I am scared of getting a blood clot, I am scared of everything associated with the surgery. I have two small children, and I am afraid that something will happen to me, but on the flip side I know it will feel so good once I lose the weight. Has anyone else had these feeling?

Absolutely! All of the above!! Luckily I did all my research and homework before having the surgery. A lot of that also is getting a surgeon you're not only comfortable with, but who has extensive experience with Lap Band and is listed on the LapBand site. Many docs won't even see you for a consult until you go to a seminar. There you will be able to ask all the questions you want (and the ones other people ask are helpful too). I also have two little ones, so I didn't take this lightly either. Believe me, the pros sooo outweigh the cons. It'll be great for them to have a healthy happy mommy. Good luck with your decision! Ask any questions you need to--this is a wonderful resource for support!!

I have been over weight most of my life...and I suppose I just felt it was normal for me...when I reached my max at 407 I just began feeling BLAH...I knew I couldnt play with my daughter...I knew going up stairs would wear me out for the day...but it wasnt until I went to the eye doctor and she explained to me that from being so over weight it was now effecting my vision...I was super scared about all of the complications but to be honest to imagine my life with out my daughter...was enough for me...it is a big decision and you should go into it with open eyes and positive...I can tell you for me it was by far the best decision...there are days when I swallow something and it hurts or when Im stressed out and I suffer for it but nothing beats the feeling of not worrying about the complications of carrying all the weight around anymore...LOL...keep reading...ask questions if you have them...its the only way to really know for YOU...Good luck in whatever it is you decide =)

I am in the same position as I am currently researching the LapBand procedue. I am so scared about everything! The pre-op diet, the surgery, recovery, having a foreign object in my body, and gaining the weight back!

I keep telling myself that being so overweight and unhealthy is more likely to kill me than this surgery! I have an appointment with my PCP on Thursday. I plan to speak to him about the procedure. I found a local surgeon who seems to have many years of experience. He even teaches others to perform the surgery. My husband has researched the procedure as well and he is confident that this is a good option for me.

No matter what anyone says, we will ultimately need to make this decision on our own. I am very scared, but not as scared as I am to die at an early age - I am only 34. I do not have children, but I would like to. I want to be around to see them grow!

Good Luck making your decision, Bell.

Vickie :unsure:

You're right, it is a tough decision and not to be taken lightly. There are problems that could arise, no one can argue that. I'm a single mom of a five year old, I'm all he has...I didn't take it lightly either....however, for me, the risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, etc...plus the fact that I was missing out on so much of my little boys life made me opt to go for it. I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out from surgery but haven't regretted it for a second. Good luck with your decision. I suggest you go to a seminar, it'll scare ya but give you a lot more information to base your decision on.

I'd say if you weren't scared and you didn't have questions then you probably are not ready.

As everyone else said, the is not something to be taken lightly. It will affect you and probably those close to you for the rest of your life.

Try not to be paranoid but keep researching and conquer your fears one at a time.

It took me two year to decide on the surgery. I was banded on 12/29/09. Days before the surgery, I was having second thoughts. I prayed on it, I did a lot of research, and I knew in my heart that it was my last option. I've been overweight most of my life. I'm 34 years old, single, no children. I was never teased as a child, I maintained a healthy social life. The determining factor for me having the surgery was my health. At the end of the day, I am proned to so many health risk. I currently have highblood pressure, and my knees and ankles ache all the time. If you're confused about it, try dieting and exercising on your own. In the meatime please do your research, go to the seminars, talk to others that have been banded. So far, i've only lost 14 pounds. I haven't had any complications. When I woke up from the surgery I had massive chest pains, they took blood, EKG and Xrays...so far so good. I'm not sure what the future holds, but I plan on losing 100 pounds this year by dieting and exercising. I'm so afraid of laying up in the hospital with health issues that I could have prevented.

I hope that you make the right decision. Good luck!

I had my doubts about the surgery as well. I have wanted the surgery since I first learned about it but I had the same fears. I found a surgeon that I really liked and I went to the appointment. As I researched and learned about the surgery from the office, I became more comfortable. My worse fear was being put to sleep. I also have a daughter who is young and I was afraid to leave her. I can honestly say, I have not had one problem. I did everything I was told and I have not been sick, or had any problems. I am not sure your weight or BMI, but for me, I have found the surgery has been the best thing I have done for myself in years. Hope this helps.

I was 40 when I had this surgery and it was the first surgery I had ever had. I was TERRIFIED! Everything went as planned and I am ecstatic about my progress so far. Being banded was the best thing I have ever done for myself. Even though I did this for me, it has had a positive impact on my relationships in my life. If you are ready for this, don't second guess it. Do your research, attend seminars until you find a surgeon you are comfortable with and have confidence in and move forward. Good luck!