Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What were your first few days post-op like?

I was banded on 12/16 and am still swollen and sore. Am afraid to have anything besides Water and chix broth. This is horrible!! As bad as it sounds, I can't wait til I can go back on those awful shakes--anything is better than what i'm doing now. Hope it gets better

Tomorrow will be one week since banded, and I am just now starting to feel human again. Yesterday I think was the worst day. Some gas caused excruciating pain between my shoulders most of the day. I walked and used a heating pad, and it finally went away. I still have the clear bandage over the port incision and am dreading the day it must come off, cause it is on there good and tight. My first follow up visit is not until Jan 18th, and Im thinking Im not taking this bandage off till then. Walking has helped me more than anything. I can't stress enough too doing the breathing exercises. This helps to get the phlem coughed up and your breathing back to normal. My bowels have only moved twice since surgery, and it was not loose at all. This has me sorta concerned. People respond differently to the surgery. Some come out of it with hardly any pain at all, and others, like myself, have had their share of pain. I keep thinking that its all worth it though, and can only get better.

On a side note..I have had hypertension for almost 4 years now, and been on several different meds for it. I checked my BP yesterday morning before taking my medicine and it was like 120/66...checked again this morning, with no meds and it is 130/71. I think I'm finally off BP medicine! YES!!!:)

Edited by Sticks

I am now one month post op. It totally gets better at about a week. Take your pain and other meds. Drink. Walk, walk, and walk somemore. Then walk again. and again.

You have been reborn. Read, learn and get on to your new life. You will get over the pain soon, the harder part is accepting your new life and discarding the old habits.

See you in 100 pounds...

TJ

well yesterday was mysurgery day... and I completely feel the omg what have idone. Gas x did help with the walking. But alone not so much... my port site is the most painful and on my back seemed to be the least uncomfortable. I hate the gas pains and I had the dry vomit for about 30 minutes last night til imade myself sleep... I am hoping day two tomorrow will come easier... take care everyone! And happy holidays

I just came home today, and have been pretty much been just on the verge of nausea all day today. My nose is dryer than the sahara desert. I have no desire to eat or drink anything, but am sipping on broth and Water. I feel like my guts are revolting on me.

Did anyone feel like "ohmygosh what have I done?"

Maybe I'm just emotional, I haven't really slept since surgery and came home to a sick husband to top it all off.

Please tell me this gets better :)

The day of my surgery while I was lying there recovering the whole "why did I do this?" question popped in my head. i was on the verge of tears and thinking to myself why couldn't I just do this on my own. Why do I need to go through all this? But I can tell you that after talking with many family members who have had this, that question not only passes but it answers itself when you see how the pounds melt off and when you see how differently you look at food. I was talking to my dad yesterday and he told me that one of the best things mentally that he loves about this is that he no longer is obssesed with eating everything.. He has his cravings eats a small amount and he is satisfied. I think that you need to heal and see the other end of the fence and then ask that question again. You'll say oh yeah because I needed help and here it is... Its not an easy journey but it is well worth it. Good LUck.. heal fast and Happy holidays

wow im so incredibly glad i read this! I had my surgery on the 16th and have had several crying fits and get this out of me! moments....it does get better, im still in a lot of pain though

I am so happy I've read this thread!

I'm day 2 post op and all I keep thinking is "why am I such a loser that I can't even do this like normal people, no...I have to go have major surgery". Ugh. I'm walking/pacing around the house...this gas is killing me. I have 8 incesions (lap band, gall bladder removal & hernia) and they don't hurt. I'm not even taking the percocit but at night and in the a.m. It's just the gas...I'm walking and taking the gas-x but OMG...make it stop.:)

I am glad to know this too will pass...I'm just counting down the mins to when it does! LOL

I was banded on 12/16. I just remember the ride home was comfortable enough, went right to bed when I got home. After a few hours sleep I woke up in horrible pain. I knew I should have been drinking broth but I certainly did not enjoy it. Kept sipping Water and tried to get around (husband had to help me walk and get up out of the chair. I was like this for about 3 days. Started to feel a bit better but was still quite sore on the stomach incisions. So far, I feel better every day but I'm going to have to call the clinic because it feels like I have no restriction. I have been able to tolerate soft boiled eggs in tiny little pieces, although I eat the whole egg. I don't know what its supposed to feel like to feel full because I have not had that sensation yet. I think something's wrong -band may be too loose or does not have enough saline in it. Will check back here next week after the holidays and see if I have better news to tell you.

I was banded on 12/16. I just remember the ride home was comfortable enough, went right to bed when I got home. After a few hours sleep I woke up in horrible pain. I knew I should have been drinking broth but I certainly did not enjoy it. Kept sipping Water and tried to get around (husband had to help me walk and get up out of the chair. I was like this for about 3 days. Started to feel a bit better but was still quite sore on the stomach incisions. So far, I feel better every day but I'm going to have to call the clinic because it feels like I have no restriction. I have been able to tolerate soft boiled eggs in tiny little pieces, although I eat the whole egg. I don't know what its supposed to feel like to feel full because I have not had that sensation yet. I think something's wrong -band may be too loose or does not have enough saline in it. Will check back here next week after the holidays and see if I have better news to tell you.

Sandy, most of the time, the band is placed initially with NO saline in it, so you may not feel any restriction at all. This is done to give the stomach time to heal before the initial fill. Its during this time that you need to be careful and not eat too much. You dont want to stretch the top stomach or cause yourself to vomit, as this may cause band slippage.

Hi Terri, I hope you are feeling better. My first 5-7 days were horrible!!! I WAS wondering what the hell had I done. The nausea and pain were beyond what I had expected. However, after the first week everything started to feel better. Hang in there, after you pass these first couple of weeks you will feel great! Follow your Dr.'s advice and take care of yourself. Good luck!