Jump to content
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 09/16/2021 in all areas

  1. 2 points

    My VSG Play-by-Play

    One of the things that contributed to my stress about this surgery was not knowing what was going to happen. (What can I say, I'm a control freak.) So here is the play-by-play as it pertains to me of my surgery. Your mileage may vary! I'll try to come back and update it. Hopefully it'll be of use to someone—"and knowing is half the battle." Day before surgery Liquid-only diet; two bowls of phở broth, some Protein2O, apple juice, and sugar-free lemon jello. Got about 830 calories in. Had to take a shower with a special CHG (chlorhexidine gluconate) anti-septic body wash. It made my skin a bit "slippery". Packed my bag with my CPAP hose, a book, a spare shirt, some chanclas for walking, my cell phone charger, and my reading glasses. Put out the two pills I was supposed to take (no losartan because it interferes with anesthesia). Day of surgery Took another shower with CHG as required. Reported to the hospital at 0630 as requested. Was checked in and taken to pre-surgery holding. My fiancé was allowed to go with me as an exception, because I'm hard of hearing and rely on lip-reading which is impossible with so many masks and partitions in the way. A surgical RN came and told me to wipe my abdomen with CHG wipes, then put on my surgical gown (which was HUGE on me—I understand I'm a bariatric patient but I literally couldn't keep it on my shoulders). Then he put an IV in the back of my hand, took my vitals (I lost 10 lbs in the two weeks between my surgeon's consultation and surgery day), went through all my medications, put an anti-nausea patch behind my ear, and gave me a blood thinner in my IV. My surgeon came in and asked if I was ready, went over a few things, then went to scrub up. My anesthesiologist came in and asked if I had had anesthesia before (yes), and if I had any questions. I asked him to give me a TAP block at the end of surgery, which is a localized nerve block, like an epidural for your abdomen. It lasts 12-18 hours. I was whisked away and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room, where I was given cognitive tests (what is your name, what hospital are you at, who's the president, etc.) and given ice chips. Once that all proved satisfactory, I was wheeled to my room. I don't remember it, because I fell asleep. Once in the room they put leg compression stockings on me and gave me water, Crystal Light made way too sweet, chicken broth that tasted like a salt lick, and a thicker vegetable purée soup. I couldn't get the vegetable soup down. I forced the chicken broth, Crystal Light, and water. I felt very, very hungry and it was frustrating not to be able to just eat something. I took 3 or 4 laps of the surgical unit floor in my fetching anti-slip socks, and kept falling asleep. The pain from the gas was pretty bad and I spent a good 30 minutes just burping, much to the chagrin of the man in the other bed in the room (though he was moaning so he doesn't get to say anything). Around 1730 the nurse came in, saw that I had drunk what I could and had peed sufficiently (you pee into a graduated container), and that I could walk. She asked my surgeon's permission to discharge me, and I was in the wheelchair going out the door at 1830, exactly 12 hours after I arrived. When we got home, I pretty much washed my hands and face and went straight to bed. I got up probably every 2 hours or so, would have a couple of sips of protein shake or water, along with Gas-X (simethicone) or, as needed, Tylenol. I did get about 7 hours of sleep, in various chunks. I was able to lie, carefully, on my side, which is how I prefer to sleep. My CPAP did increase the gas pressure inside a bit but it was tolerable. Day 1 post-op My first bout of the 'foamies'. I tried to drink a CorePower protein milk way too fast and spent an hour and a half wandering around whimpering. It was actively painful and it felt enough like I needed to vomit that I had a lined bucket at the ready. Eventually, though, it subsided. Gas pain is still here and very real, but better. We went for a walk which absolutely tired me out—and it was barely 500 meters! Right now I am using the timer on my cell phone to remind me to drink 1/3 oz. of fluid every 5 minutes, and I feel full but it's manageable. I am alternating full ounces of regular water and protein water. I also made some Jell-O with extra protein powder but the thought of eating it leaves me cold. If I can get these bottles down plus the shake I had earlier, I'll be pretty close to 48 oz. of fluid which is my surgeon's requirement for the first week (bumps up to 64 oz. after that) and 41 g of protein which will have to do for the first day unless I manage to get some of the Jell-O down me. I have been taking Tylenol, Gas-X, and my ondansetron—the nausea is there but it's in the background, like when you step off a ship onto land at the end of a cruise. I haven't had enough pain to necessitate anything stronger than Extra Strength Tylenol. My incisions are clean (I took a shower).
  2. 1 point

    Post-op blood thinners

    Thanks Kendra! Good luck and speedy recovery!!
  3. 1 point

    Hives? Possible food allergies?

    Not the first few months, but I'm almost 20 months out and currently going through that. I have to take benadryl 50mg 3x a day because if I don't I get hives on my arms, legs, back, neck, etc. We don't really know exactly what's causing it, but I developed two allergies that we know of after surgery. 1. Wheat allergy 2. NSAID allergy. I got a gluten free pizza a week and a half ago and they weren't careful when they made it so I got hives and other issues from the wheat contaminated pizza so maybe that's part of the reason I'm currently having issues with the hives. A month ago I tried the third and LAST NSAID that made my doctor put me down for an NSAID allergy because I ended up getting a giant hives rash on my back that is STILL there, but is mostly healed. So my doctor thinks the hives are in part my allergies, but also part stress (which, yep, I agree with). So your allergies may be a new food or medication allergy OR it could be stress. Or a combo of both. Maybe narrow down when they started and if you started eating or taking anything new around that time.
  4. 1 point
    @Paul.VDH I'd also like to add - Please don't be ashamed on this forum - It's a journey - We all make mistakes, some of us get complacent, some of us get plain ole lazy (ME!), but we just have to keep on trying. Using the app is one way to hold yourself accountable without feeling the "shame" of sharing it with the world. I know if I stop tracking, I start snacking (It's easy to convince myself that everything is good...).
  5. 1 point
    I gained 10 lbs. from the day I was admitted to the next day when I left the hospital. Took awhile for all those fluids they pumped into me to exit my body. As long as your calories are low, and you're following your surgeon's plan, it'll come off soon.
  6. 1 point
    Tammy N

    Cigna approval with mild sleep apnea?

    Hey, was wondering if you guys ultimately got approval for the sleeve? Did you guys do a home sleep study or a in lab one? I too am about a 35 BMI and probably will be mild case of sleep apnea. Would love to get approved here in the US but have come to terms that I may have to go to Mexico. Thanks!
  7. 1 point
    I was hospitalized for three weeks for a bout of cellulitis and had to go through a long course of "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" antibiotics. If it is hot and swollen, go to the ER.
  8. 1 point
    Creating a new thread because the other one has gotten really long. So, here are my before and currents to keep the topic moving. Current as of last week:
  9. 1 point

    NOT excercising at all

    I stopped exercising after a couple of months (I was walking on my treadmill) because of my low energy & low blood pressure. The day I almost fell off due to being so tired & light headed I decided enough. It’s true. Exercise contributes very little to actual weight loss. But it does contribute to your general health. It also increases your appetite to compensate for the calories you’ve burnt. I still don’t exercise but try to be active in other ways. Dash up & down the stairs in my house. Park further away from where I’m going. Walk at a pace around shopping centres etc. Take stairs when possible. Walk to the local shops. It all helps.
  10. 1 point
    I had my sleeve on March 3 at Northwestern in Chicago and am down 60 pounds already (357 to 297). This surgery has done wonders and I've had such an easy time of it I kick myself for not doing it sooner. My post-op pain was minimal, I had no problems sticking to the post-op diet phase changes, I've hadn't had any cravings or junk food slip ups yet. My energy level has been remarkable, I'm walking around 6 miles every day (I walk to/from work, I walk during my morning break, during lunch , afternoon break). It is starting to get to be a bit old, so I'm going to start step aerobics next week to ratchet up the intensity. I was diagnosed prediabetic a few months before the surgery and they put me on metformin. At the hospital they took me off it. I had high blood pressure and that's been dropping steadily, I was on Linisipril-HCTZ and Amlodipine. Now I'm just on plain Lisinopril. I'm glad I'm off the Amlodipine since that was causing some ankle/calf swelling which stopped right after I stopped taking it. I hope to be off the Simvastatin soon. Next week I have my first post-op full blood test since being discharged so we'll see how well blood has cleaned out. The sleep apnea is getting better too since I can tell my machine is definitely over-powered now, but I know from taking a nap without it that I still need it. So all in all, I feel like this has been going perfectly and totally glad I did it.

PatchAid Vitamin Patches