Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else ever do a 1 day fast on a regular basis? Years ago, when I was 'dieting' successfully, I found that one little trick was to do a 1 day fast every week. It cleaned out my system (and my palate), jump started my weight loss and prevented stalls and helped prevent me from sliding off the side with "just a bit of this and a bit of that" cheating.

I haven't done a regular fast for years but am thinking I may have to start again even though I'm not dieting. This last week I feel as if I'm not being quite as good as I could be even though I'm still making good choices and controlling my portions for the most part, so I decided to do my fast today since I'm home all day.

The fast I found most successful and the one I'm doing is to drink an 8 oz glass of liquid every hour. I start with an 8 oz glass of Water with 1 Tbs of lemon juice in the first hour. Then the 2nd hour is an 8 oz glass of my diluted juice mixture. Then keep rotating through the day.

I happened to pick up a Woman's World today and I decided to try their juice mix: 1 cup cranberry juice, 1 cup pomegranet juice, 1/2 cup orange juice. (All the juices are fresh pressed, not from concentrate and nothing added...not even sugar or artificial sweetener.) Stick that in a pan with 7 cups of water and bring just to a boil. Then add a pinch of clove, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp cardamom. Simmer for 5 minutes.

You can drink these cold or warm, but on a cold day like today, I'm warming up the juice. It tastes a bit like a mulled cider...perfect for the holiday season.

I started at 7 a.m. this morning and have to say that I'm feeling quite good at noon.

Hey Elfie,

Years ago when I was going to Lindora I would fast a day each week but I'm never going to diet again and fasting just seems too much like a diet to me.

A weird thing is going on for me though, I just don't have an appetite lately and I don't really care if I eat. I just can't seem to make myself eat the foods I've been eating for the past 8 months. The good news is that I finally lost a pound. Seems like forever since I've lost. Not really, it's only been a month.

Let us know tomorrow how the fasting worked out for you. Maybe it will change my mind about fasting.

Elfie, I do liquids once a month which is on my fill day and do that for 24 hours. It does seem to jump start me and is a necessity. I usually lose a few pounds after that because I am initially so tight and I don't really eat much for a week or so afterward.

Nutritionists/Dietitians are against fasting. They usually just lead to binging the next day and accomplish nothing more than making you miserable the first day and feeling guilty the second.

That being said, everyone is different and it may work for you. I can do without the misery.

Nutritionists/Dietitians are against fasting. They usually just lead to binging the next day and accomplish nothing more than making you miserable the first day and feeling guilty the second.

That being said, everyone is different and it may work for you. I can do without the misery.

To be honest, I don't have much use for nutritionists/dietiticians since (my experience only) they seem unable to spout anything but the latest party line regarding nutrition and diet and seem unable to think outside the box. Most 'fat' people are actually more knowledgeable regarding nutrition and diet than the 'experts'.

However, my feelings aside, I agree. If someone is going to fast one day and then binge the next, the fast is pointless. If they're miserable while fasting, then they shouldn't do it.

There were times when I started a fast and within hours had to go off it because my blood sugar was giving me problems...or I decided to end my fast early and eat dinner.

When I can make it through the day...and looks like I will today...it's a very positive thing for me. I'm not hungry and I actually feel a sense of satisfaction at my achievement. food always tastes better the day after but I stick to my shakes during the day and then dinner in the evening so I don't go off the deep end and overeat the next day.

I'm actually thinking of doing just Protein shakes tomorrow since I get a fill on Thursday and am hoping I get some type of restriction that keeps me to liquids for a day or two. For the last week I've been boinging between the same 4 pounds and I'd really like to drop below that.

I totally disagree. My NUT is not against this and it is a requirement for me on my fill day for a 24 hour period. I have absolutely no desire to binge the next day and think it is ridiculous to think it would cause a binge. In my opinion, a 24 hour liquid day should not spark a binge the next day. For me, the whole point is to cleanse and start fresh the day after the liquids and then 24 hours on mushies once my fill has been completed. Then I begin my solids again. Obviously, everyone should do what there surgeon recommends and what works for them.

Well I made it through the day and I've had my Protein shake with milk and banana this morning and feel fabulous! I'm more motivated this morning than I've been in a week or so and I feel like I lost 20 lbs.

I'm not getting on the scales this morning though because I know it won't reflect a true loss. I'm feeling so good this morning!

Well I made it through the day and I've had my Protein shake with milk and banana this morning and feel fabulous! I'm more motivated this morning than I've been in a week or so and I feel like I lost 20 lbs.

I'm not getting on the scales this morning though because I know it won't reflect a true loss. I'm feeling so good this morning!

Good for you! Keep up the good work!

I consider fasting abstaining from food, including food in a liquid form.

I have probably seen a dozen nutritionists over the past 15 or so years (2 in the last 6 months) and all of them preach the same thing: a balance diet and Portion Control. Any that I have asked about starvation diets were against them.

As for fat people knowing more than the experts; thinking we know more than the experts is what got us here in the first place.

As for fat people knowing more than the experts; thinking we know more than the experts is what got us here in the first place.

Nah...what got me here in the first place was eating too much.

When I was first diagnosed as a diabetic, they wanted to set me up with four 2 hour sessions with the diabetic nutritionist. I told them I'm a busy person and don't have time to waste. She can't teach me anything about dealing with my diabetes that I don't already know. They insisted. After a 1 hour session, the diabetic counselor told the doctor I wasn't bragging...I did know more than she did. More because not only did I know what she did...but I knew how my particular body reacted to different eating schedules, foods, etc.

I'm sure there are some people who truly lack the knowledge of good nutrition but there are many more of us who do not. *Knowing* is the not the same as *doing*. :)

try the www.mastercleanser.com ... I do that periodically to "reset" I have a tree loaded with lemons right now so I am getting ready to do it again.

Make me jealous...a tree loaded with lemons? I have trees in my orchard loaded with...ummm...bare branches. :)

My sister got me to do the Master Cleanser awhile back, but I gotta tell you...drinking epsom salts isn't gonna happen. As fast as they go down, they come right back up. I did a modified version and that works well. Actually, I had a few hunger pains yesterday by evening on the juice, but never did with the modified Master Cleanser.

*Knowing* is the not the same as *doing*. :)

I keep thinking, "Those who can DO. Those who can't TEACH."

I'm not sure it applies, but I've always liked that saying. :unsure:

Congrats on your successful fast, Elfie. I can't say I'd ever do it myself. One of the reasons I enjoy this board is that I pick up so many different tips that I would have never considered.

I keep thinking, "Those who can DO. Those who can't TEACH."

I'm not sure it applies, but I've always liked that saying. :)

I'm going to preface my remarks by saying that there are some exceptional teachers and some exceptional school systems out there...but, they are in the minority.

I used to be a teacher. I burned out after 10 years because I just couldn't deal with the mediocre behavior and expectations of the administration and other teachers in the school system.

My motto expands on the one above...

Those who can, DO. Those who can't, TEACH. Those who can't teach become administrators (and sadly are the reason that the good teachers leave and become a rarity in the system).

<soapbox back under desk>

I'm going to preface my remarks by saying that there are some exceptional teachers and some exceptional school systems out there...but, they are in the minority.

I used to be a teacher. I burned out after 10 years because I just couldn't deal with the mediocre behavior and expectations of the administration and other teachers in the school system.

My motto expands on the one above...

Those who can, DO. Those who can't, TEACH. Those who can't teach become administrators (and sadly are the reason that the good teachers leave and become a rarity in the system).

<soapbox back under desk>

I also left teaching after 10 years. Parents and weak-kneeded administrators who say "how high" when parents say "jump" want Mary Poppins in the classroom. I set high standards for behavior and made students accountable for it and high standards for academics and didn't apologize for either. Unfortunately there is no room for that approach in education today.