Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 6 Post Op and wonder what and why I did this!!

Hi everyone, I had surgery 12/1(tuesday) and thought I was lucky the first couple days...no gas pain, I could sleep on my side...thought it was great!! Now today and yesterday have been a nightmare!!! I haven't been able to drink much, feel nausea/hunger/full/pressure, not much of an appetite even thou i'm hungry. I've been eating pureed foods as i'm allowed and drinking a Protein Shake daily. Yesterday I couldn't even drink my shake, had mashed potatoes and pudding. Today was yogurt and pureed chili. I haven't been able to drink a liter today!!! I haven't taken any pain meds for 3 days or so..i'm just still a little sore at the sites.

So of couse today, being dehydrated and feeling miserable, I question myself--WHY have I done this to myself!!!

I know I want it and don't regret it, just want to know if this is normal?!?!? When I walk around my stomach just gurgles around. I made the mistake of taking a laxative last night and felt it all day today :thumbup: beginning to wonder if that has something to do with it!!!

Anyway if your still reading, I appreciate it. I def. need some support right now!!! I know this is just the beginning of the journey and hoping it gets better. If you have any ideas or tips that can help this "sick" feeling please let me know...

Thanks

Randi:confused:

Randy this is just the begining hang in there I am due to be banded on january 7th and i am petrified of the things your saying but everyone here says walk walk walk and the pain gets easier I wish you all the luck on your journey and congratulations I cannot tell you I know what you mean but I am sure i will be feelin the same thing just HANG IN THERE.

I am 5 days post op..gas is almost going! Gas was easier with lapband than gallbladder surgery! I just hope I am getting in enough Water and protein! Hope it gets better for you!

Randi,

All is normal, I too had those same strange feelings. It was like "Am I hungry, or is that gas pains or am I not hungry?" I am only surprised that you are on pureed foods already. I couldnt have anything but broth and Protein Shakes for two weeks then pureed stuff. Also remember that right now its all about the healing of your body. It will all pass and be a faint memory. After about the first 6 weeks, you will look back and be so glad you did this. Its the best thing I have ever done for myself!

Good luck and keep us posted,

Deanna

You can eat mushie foods just a few days out of surgery?? Wow, I was on a clear liquid diet for two weeks plus 3 Protein Shakes a day. Prehaps you are feeling the upset tummy from food. Talk to your doctor, but remember you just put your body through MAJOR surgery and it will take time to heal. When I had surgery, felt ok the day of and the next two days, but day 3 I awoke to feeling like a mac truck hit me then backed up and hit me again. I just took the time to lay around,rest and relax to let me body heal. I was a slug for a couple of days even though I felt better, just to give my body a rest it so deserved.

One of my nurses told me to expect this. She said the first few days are kind of easy. I had my surgery on Monday and she told me to expect a "bad day" on Friday or Saturday. She was right and you are right on schedule :thumbup:

My stomach is gurgling and I am having some gas pains too, but I find that the GasX strips. Since you never know when it will hit, keep them close. I found some TUMS Quick Paks today at Dollar Tree. They remind me of pixie or lik-m-stiks. The powder just dissolves on your tongue. Don't be afraid of your pain meds, either. That's what they are there for.

Hang in there!

You are normal! Don't give up. Walk, walk, walk. I am surprised that you're on the mushies so soon, however. I was on Clear Liquids for 3-4 days, then full liquids for 10 days, and then moved on to solids. You really need to talk with your doctor or nutritionist to make sure you are on the right eating program. You don't want the stomach to over work while it's in a healing mode.

I promise you that in about 4-6 weeks you will be a newer person and be so happy you did this. It's worth it. So hang in there until it gets better for you.

I was banded on 12/3 and I feel the same way. Like what did I get myself into. I know it will change but being in the current moment sucks. I'm craving regular food and tonight I am feeling nauseated and don't know why. Back is killing me as well. Uurrghh

Hang in there! I was banded on the 3rd and I think the gas pain is the worst! Keep walking. I'm going to try to make laps inside today (it's snowing outside).

I think this is like the early stages of pregnancy. Misery! But in the end it's worth it and when you look back on it, it won't seem so bad. At least that's what I hope! :-)

Thanks everyone!!! My post op diet is clear liq for days 1-4..then pureed foods..soups Jello pudding mashed potatoes for 5-11. I am goign to start liquids again today and hopefully that will help with the dehydration and make me fill a little better. Next app is friday...Think I've lost around 15 pounds and it hasn't even been a complete week yet!!! I appreciate the support!! THANX

Hi everyone, I had surgery 12/1(tuesday) and thought I was lucky the first couple days...no gas pain, I could sleep on my side...thought it was great!! Now today and yesterday have been a nightmare!!! I haven't been able to drink much, feel nausea/hunger/full/pressure, not much of an appetite even thou i'm hungry. I've been eating pureed foods as i'm allowed and drinking a Protein shake daily. Yesterday I couldn't even drink my shake, had mashed potatoes and pudding. Today was yogurt and pureed chili. I haven't been able to drink a liter today!!! I haven't taken any pain meds for 3 days or so..i'm just still a little sore at the sites.

So of couse today, being dehydrated and feeling miserable, I question myself--WHY have I done this to myself!!!

I know I want it and don't regret it, just want to know if this is normal?!?!? When I walk around my stomach just gurgles around. I made the mistake of taking a laxative last night and felt it all day today :thumbup: beginning to wonder if that has something to do with it!!!

Anyway if your still reading, I appreciate it. I def. need some support right now!!! I know this is just the beginning of the journey and hoping it gets better. If you have any ideas or tips that can help this "sick" feeling please let me know...

Thanks

Randi:confused:

This is completely normal. Everyone has different restriction post-op. For example, by day 6 I was as hungry as I'd ever been and fluids were not helping. When I had my post-op appt he moved me to the next stage in the post-op diet. He said that everyone's inflamation period lasts different. Some stay restricted after a month and some just a few days.

The first few days after surgery I felt very similar to you. I thought to myself "I paid $15k of my own money to have this done to myself??? Was I nuts?" But, it got better and now I feel very normal, like nothing was done to me.

Thank you for all the advice I don't feel like I'm alone in thinking I was nuts for doing the surg. I know time will pass and get better but I had my surg 12/3 and I'm starving it sucks

Omg - i was about to start a thread with the same title. I'm feeling miserable too.

I started thinking about this thing in my body that I added in there for no reason. I don't know what's wrong with me!

Thank you creating this and I'm starting to feel better to know I'm not alone in this.

It's very scary right now. I jumped into this decision and I'm so scared about the whole thing now. I am the "regret" stage of this all. =(

I haven't felt hungry since surgery, I got banded 12/3. When will I start to feel hungry?

Omg - i was about to start a thread with the same title. I'm feeling miserable too.

I started thinking about this thing in my body that I added in there for no reason. I don't know what's wrong with me!

Thank you creating this and I'm starting to feel better to know I'm not alone in this.

It's very scary right now. I jumped into this decision and I'm so scared about the whole thing now. I am the "regret" stage of this all. =(

I haven't felt hungry since surgery, I got banded 12/3. When will I start to feel hungry?

No worries you are not alone. I was banded on 12/3 and I am starving and thinking the same--what did i get myself into though it will get better. it is frustrating i know

I truly understand your pain. And it's GREAT to know this support is here. My hubby was banded 10/23 and I was banded 12/4 and so far, our experiences are different. I don't believe I have as much swelling as he does, because I DO get hungry. I am on liquids for an entire week, then mushies, starting THIS Friday. I already have my meal planned. :-)

My first couple of days were all gravy baby, but TODAY, is an entirely different story. This gas is SO painful I want to cry. My husband keeps telling me to walk and it only helps a little. I have the chewable Gas-X which don't seem to be helping a great deal. I just want to sleep, but I have an 8 month old baby that wants to beat mama in her tummy.

I am SO loving this site right now and it sure feels good to know that I am not alone!