Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't lose the weight! Help!

nellie,

You posted what you are eating and all sounds good but what kind of exercise regimen are you on? Your body adjusts to what you are eating and the activity you do daily. You need to change it up.

Also, how much Water are you drinking? Believe it or not, if you don't drink enough Water, the weight will not come off.

Thanks everyone for the advice! It's real and very helpful! I'm going to start keeping a food journal, so see exactly where I'm going wrong.

As far as exercise goes I've only been using my WiiFit, but I think I'm actually going to start going to the gym to get a better more all around work out.

I'm meeting with my doctor next week so I will bring up a lot of these issues, she's always been very helpful and keeps telling me not to worry it will happen soon.

Oh I will kick your butt! Just promise me no tears :w00t:

Ok, no tears allowed.....

TJ

I'm meeting with my doctor next week so I will bring up a lot of these issues, she's always been very helpful and keeps telling me not to worry it will happen soon.

She may be just trying to keep you from getting depressed by telling you what you want to hear. This is not necessarily what you need to hear. Tell her to be honest with you.

Sometimes we need a kick in the ass to see reality. My latest was a heart attack at 45.

I'm at the gym 3 times a week with my group of band friends. I'm very active and always have been. For my job I have to be able to run and I like to keep that up. As for Water, I've always drank a lot and continue to do so.

I'm at the gym 3 times a week with my group of band friends. I'm very active and always have been. For my job I have to be able to run and I like to keep that up. As for Water, I've always drank a lot and continue to do so.

Wow! Sounds like you are doing everything right. If you do find out something is missing, please post it because I am curious.

Have you considered a device like the Bodybugg to tell you how many calories you are burning? It's not cheap but it helped me a lot.

My problem is that I hardly ate to begin with. I'm used to eating only 1 meal a day. I'm 248lbs but I'm solid and a size 16/18. I am wondering if this band was right for me. When I had my physical therapy eval prior to surgery, they measured my muscle mass. The therapist questioned why I was getting the band and how I qualified. The pulmonologist and cardiologist said the same. I've never been a fan of bread or soda to begin with, and the new diet isn't really a change for me. I eat the chobani yogurt like I always did, drink the sugar free carnation instant Breakfast. I talked with my doctor a lot before surgery and he said it will take me a little longer to lose as compared to others that are built different. I'm not the only one I know like this.

You sound a little like one of the people who eat very irregularly and have very very slow metabolisms.

Lots of heavy people are like this, they dont eat that much, and its hard to work out why they got fat.

The only way out of this is to begin to eat four or five times a day in small amounts and to exercise - you need muscle - which means an hour or more a day of pretty tough muscle building exercise combined with cardio.

What are you doing at the gym? This thread sounds a bit like an inquisition but honestly, there's no accusatioin of you "cheating" or anything, it sounds so odd. But lots of people do really waste their time at the gym - a bit of a trot on the treadmill for 20 minutes and push some machines aroumd, it doesnt really achieve a lot. You need to really SWEAT and find it very hard to make a real difference once you get past tht easy loss. There is so much difference between going to the gym and really working effectively.

This probably doesnt matter for most people, any activity is enough, but obviously, you've copped it tougher than some others.

You could probably benefit from some personal training? Maybe to really let you know that what you're doing is workign for you?

Otherwise, I just dont know what anyone can suggest, obviously you're calorie needs are just way low.

Edited by Jachut

Guest austrolatrishy

My surgeon gave me three rules to live by. And he guaranteed me that if I follow them, I will lose all the weight.

1. Six days a week, cut out carbs completely from your diet. That includes carrots, any kind of bean (except for green beans), bananas, and citrus fruits. On the seventh day of the week, you can eat whatever you want (but watch the portions).

2. Start your day off with a Protein shake. It boosts your metabolism and gets you going.

3. Add in exercise, even if it's just power walking. Good luck to you!

I've followed these rules for the last month and have lost almost 21 pounds. I hope this helps!

My surgeon gave me three rules to live by. And he guaranteed me that if I follow them, I will lose all the weight.

1. Six days a week, cut out carbs completely from your diet. That includes carrots, any kind of bean (except for green beans), bananas, and citrus fruits. On the seventh day of the week, you can eat whatever you want (but watch the portions).

2. Start your day off with a Protein shake. It boosts your metabolism and gets you going.

3. Add in exercise, even if it's just power walking. Good luck to you!

I've followed these rules for the last month and have lost almost 21 pounds. I hope this helps!

Your surgeon is obviously not a dietitian and I am willing to bet that he/she does not follow rule #1 and shouldn't be suggesting it to you.

Cutting out carbs all together will only make you crave them more. When you finally have had enough of this fad diet and start eating carbs like a "normal" person, you will gain the weight you lost back and maybe even more because it will have altered your metabolism.

Rule #2 doesn't sit right with me either. Protein shakes are slider foods. They will not make you full until the next meal.

#3 is right on.

This is why everyone suggests we get second opinions. Your surgeon should not be pretending to a nutritionist any more than a nutritionist should be operating on anyone.

Guest austrolatrishy

That's okay btrieger, I won't be offended by your rudeness.

I hope that this strategy can help someone. Have a good holiday everyone! :thumbup:

Agree with Jim and Jachut. I have lost 75 lbs in 6.5 months. I am 35, active and changed my life and now weigh 189. I exercise for 2-3 hours a day, eat 2 small meals a day and am very strict. It is impossible to lose that small amount of weight in 6 months. Even if someone weighed 125 and did what you say you are doing, they would lose weight. The band is a tool, not a magic solution. You need to do your part as well and if you say you eat well and exercise, you don't eat well enough nor exercise enough. If the people on the Biggest Loser show who weigh quite a bit and exercise that hard, so can anyone else. Get your mind in the game and be honest with yourself.

My dr said we need to have 64 grams of Protein and 64 ounces of liquid (Water or crystal light). Eat your Protein first at every meal.

Also they said to stop drinking 30 min before food and don't drink for 30 min after meal.

Just thought I would put that out there to see if it helps.

Good point Rachie - biggest loser is a good comparison. THAT's the sort of exercise you need to really shift weight, and shift it at a reasonable rate.

How many people do you know who have gone to the gym for years and are neither very fit, nor very slim, in fact many of them remain fat.

Early on, walking and moderate exercise is where you need to start. But eventually, you will need whole body, sweat pouring off you, even vomit in the bushes type circuit/strength/cardio stuff if you dont want to have to walk for 3 hours a day.

And you need it five or six days a week - maybe four really hard days and 1 or two recovery days where you do just walk or jog.

I personally was/am a runner but even running could not quite get me to the body I wanted, I have had to add boot camp and circuit training to my running schedule.

Good point Rachie - biggest loser is a good comparison. THAT's the sort of exercise you need to really shift weight, and shift it at a reasonable rate.

How many people do you know who have gone to the gym for years and are neither very fit, nor very slim, in fact many of them remain fat.

Early on, walking and moderate exercise is where you need to start. But eventually, you will need whole body, sweat pouring off you, even vomit in the bushes type circuit/strength/cardio stuff if you dont want to have to walk for 3 hours a day.

And you need it five or six days a week - maybe four really hard days and 1 or two recovery days where you do just walk or jog.

I personally was/am a runner but even running could not quite get me to the body I wanted, I have had to add boot camp and circuit training to my running schedule.

Jaqui,

While I am surely not the poster boy now, I know exactly what you mean. I did train and run a marathon once in my life, and ran for hours a day training. It as the puking, sweating, overheating workout you describe as necessary to get to the goal. I have that kind of plan ahead of me, and I love your honesty about how you have used the band as only a part of your life changing tool but have added so many other tools too.

Keep being honest to us newbies..... you are a great reality check for us all.

We need the truth to become what you have become...and you are a great model for what most of us want to be!!.

Thanks...

TJ

vomit in the bushes

This is hilarious and I just wanted to see it in quotes :thumbup: