Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared of getting a fill

I am really freaking out because I dnt know what 2 expect with this first fill? people say they cnt eat meat anymore or they throw up n I dnt want 2 experience non of that. I want everything 2 keep going smoothly. I dnt want 2 b sick. can anyone explain how a fill really works n what is the purpose of having one? Is the fill the stage where the weight comes off more? whats the sweet spot?

When you first get your band you don't have any saline in your band. That is why you can still eat quite a bit. As you get fills, the band is tighten so that you will be less hungry, need less food and will lose weight. It might take several fills before you get to a "sweet spot" where you are eating smaller amounts and losing weight at the same time.

For the first couple of days after a fill, you might have some problems because your stomach is swollen from the fill. Most doctors recommend that you go back on liquids for a day or two before trying solids again.

The main thing you need to do is educate yourself on what the band is all about, the hard work you will have to do, and what to expect. Your doctor & your nutritionist should have already done that for you. If not, prepare a list of questions and when you go in for your fill, make sure you ask & get answers.

Good luck. Let us hear from you.

Edited by LollyMoe

I had my first fill today and it was nothing like I expected. I was scared too. I was afraid I would get sick or not be able to swallow or.... I don't know. The PAC is the one who did the fill. We were chatting about how I should eat as she did the fill and I was amazed at how quickly it happened. I just felt a prick as she punctured the skin to access the port and that is it! She took out the 1/2 cc they had put in during surgery to prime the band and filled it with 3 1/2 cc. I am feeling fine. Not hungry or anything. I tried to eat some cream Soup for dinner and could not finish even 1/2 of the serving I had. I just had some pudding and it went down fine. So, bottom line, don't be afraid. It might not be as bad as you think!:w00t:

I had my first fill Monday, Nov 30th. No pain, nothing to worry about. I did liquids for 3 days. 1 Day of mushy and now eating food. They put in 5 cc into my band. I am not really very hungry at all.

I am very pleased.

Linda

weight.png

I had my first fill (3 cc's) on Wednesday. No problems.

My first meal I tried to eat 2 eggs and noticed restriction after one, so I fed the other one to the dog. Then after dinner last night, I did notice that for the first time I was hungry ... stomach growling hungry.

So instead of my shake this morning, I had 2 eggs. No restriction. I called the clinic this morning and they set up another appointment. Sadly, because of the holidays, they can't get me in for 2 weeks, but hey...it'll be a good exercise in self-control.

The nurse did say that most patients don't get restriction until around 6 cc's.

When you get your fill, just take small sips of Water. Take small bites of food and chew thoroughly. I'd also start out with foods that are less likely to give you problems and work up to the others (e.g. meat).

I eat 6 small meals a day. Three of them are food. The in-between ones are just Protein shakes to keep my blood sugar levels stable and, since I'm getting my daily Protein in the shakes, I don't have to worry about how much I'm getting in my 'food' meals.

had my first fill 2 weeks ago, really was no big deal @ all. It was done in no time with zero pain. I have lost an additional 10 lbs. since then too. I did have 1 minor problem the first day since I did not do liquids the first 24 hrs. and I just a normal. That was a mistake, must do liquids for 24hrs to let your stomach get used to the restriction. Other than that, smooth sailing! good luck, read up on this fourm and it will answer a ton of questions. It sure did for me.:w00t:

had my first fill 2 weeks ago, really was no big deal @ all. It was done in no time with zero pain. I have lost an additional 10 lbs. since then too. I did have 1 minor problem the first day since I did not do liquids the first 24 hrs. and I just a normal. That was a mistake, must do liquids for 24hrs to let your stomach get used to the restriction. Other than that, smooth sailing! good luck, read up on this fourm and it will answer a ton of questions. It sure did for me.:wink2:

thanks a lot for the advice

Just curious is your DR or PA numbing your area before they fill?

I've had two fills and both with no numbing and very painful after several tries to find center of port.

I had my first on Weds and he numbed it...so after the first little needle...all you felt was a little pressure. No issues at all. In fact, I do feel restriction.....more today then the others....not hungry at all.

Good luck and don't worry!