Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor struggling

I am not sure what to do at this point. I got my band in March of 09 and I've only lost 20 lbs. My starting weight was 269 and now I'm 249. I'm grateful for the 20 lb. loss and I know that my band prevents me from binge eating. Although I'm very disappointed with my loss, I'd rather have the band than nothing.

I lost great at first...lost the 20 lbs the first 2 months. I haven't lost anything since June. I have 8 ccs in my 9cc band so I'm pretty sure that I have enough restriction. I haven't been able to get under 1600 calories though (I need to eat between 1000-1200 to lose). I think I'm always hungry but I've talked with my nutritionist and she thinks that I must be "emotional eating" and I'm just misreading my hunger signs.

My doctor wants me to do 1 hour of cardio every day but this has been almost impossible (I have 2 small children and work part time). I've been getting in 30 minutes every day and its a struggle to get that in.

I think that maybe I should have gotten bypass or the sleeve since I'm an emotional eater (?). Has anyone switched from the band to another surgery? If so, what is the process? Does insurance cover it?

I'm so frustrated and really wish I could win with the band. I'd be happy if I could just get to 200.

forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gifforumbox_top_right.gifforumbox_left_tile.gif

forumbox_right_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_left.gifforumbox_bottom_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_right.gif

I have a 9cc Realize Band, and I had to have filled past the point of 9cc to get good restriction. I was a grazer, not an emotional eater, and I am able to distinguish between head hunger and actual hunger pretty well. Not saying that I don't have head hunger, but I recognize it for what it is. I'm not sure how often it happens with the Lap Band, but there are several Realize Band patients that need more than the 9cc to get good restriction, so I wouldn't necessarily chalk up your hunger to head hunger (or emotional eating) so fast. My doctor does a pressure fill measurement to Realize Band patients who are having trouble finding good restriction, rather than only relying on the saline measurement. Once I had good restriction, I was able to eliminate the grazing, because I was no longer hungry between meals.

I eat 1/2 cup solid meals three times/day, one healthy snack, a Protein shake in the early a.m. on the morning I'm heading to the gym before the sun comes up, and lots of liquids in between meals.

My weight is coming off at a snail's pace now that I'm getting close to goal, but my clothes are still getting loser and I'm able to move my belts down a notch ever so often, so I know I'm still losing fat.

If you're still able to eat good healthy meals, and aren't pb'ing, having reflux, or other signs of being too filled, I'd go in for more adjustments before contemplating revision surgery.

I am not sure what to do at this point. I got my band in March of 09 and I've only lost 20 lbs. My starting weight was 269 and now I'm 249. I'm grateful for the 20 lb. loss and I know that my band prevents me from binge eating. Although I'm very disappointed with my loss, I'd rather have the band than nothing.

I lost great at first...lost the 20 lbs the first 2 months. I haven't lost anything since June. I have 8 ccs in my 9cc band so I'm pretty sure that I have enough restriction. I haven't been able to get under 1600 calories though (I need to eat between 1000-1200 to lose). I think I'm always hungry but I've talked with my nutritionist and she thinks that I must be "emotional eating" and I'm just misreading my hunger signs.

My doctor wants me to do 1 hour of cardio every day but this has been almost impossible (I have 2 small children and work part time). I've been getting in 30 minutes every day and its a struggle to get that in.

I think that maybe I should have gotten bypass or the sleeve since I'm an emotional eater (?). Has anyone switched from the band to another surgery? If so, what is the process? Does insurance cover it?

I'm so frustrated and really wish I could win with the band. I'd be happy if I could just get to 200.

forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gifforumbox_top_right.gifforumbox_left_tile.gif

forumbox_right_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_left.gifforumbox_bottom_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_right.gif

OK - Let's review, shall we?? :smile2:

First off - Congrats on the 20 pounds ! Thats 20 pounds less to carry around on your back and knees ...

1600 Calories - True, most do need 1000 - 1200 in order to lose weight. However, it's not carved in stone any where. Alot of it can depend on WHAT your calories consist of. Complex or Simple Carbs ? Protein ? Sugars ? etc... Always, Always, eat your Protein first, before ANYTHING else ! I was skeptical at first, but it really DOES fill you up faster :tongue2:

I'm sure you have SOME head Hunger , as we all did at first. However, you could need all 10 cc's to find your sweet spot. Don't rule it out!

Again, 30 min a day is wonderful ! It's a whole lot more than some do on a daily basis ( some of us shall remain nameless :nono: ) At least you're moving, and as busy as you are, you should be proud of yourself for that! :P

With the GB or the Sleeve, you may lose the weight quicker, but its not healthier. And the re-gain of weight is much more probable. With the Band, you're learning a whole new way of life , eating , drinking, exercise, and frame of mind.

If you eat something bad, get over it and move on. No need to beat yourself up. Just start over ... ONE HOUR AT A TIME! ok ???

Now Chin Up ! You're so worth it !! :thumbup:

Edited by BobbieND

While you don't have a lot of restriction, use this time to learn the different sensations of "feeling full" compared to "feeling not hungry". They are quite different. Try to make your calorie intake up from foods with a lot of bulk and fibre, like meat and vegetables, and avoid foods that give a high calorie count in a small volume.

For example, choose a large bowl of raw salad veges (carrots, tomatoes, celery, sweet peppers, etc, etc) with 2 ounces of lean Protein for lunch and munch and crunch your way through them for 20 minutes, eating as much as you want. After 20 minutes, stop and put whatever is left in the bowl in the fridge and tell yourself "I can finish that later if I need to". Listen to your body. You probably won't be feeling "full" but you probably won't be feeling "hungry" still either. Go off and distract yourself by doing something - housework, office work, go for a walk, anything. After an hour, stop and listen to your body again. If you are really feeling HUNGRY, have some more of your lunch, eating for up to 20 minutes. If you aren't hungry (forget feeling "full"), see if you can go another hour before you really want to eat the rest. Repeat that throughout the day, till dinner time and do it again with dinner (i.e. chew for 20 minutes, stop and put it away, come back in an hour and see if you "need" the rest).

You'll find that you can eat several bowls of salad veges if necessary without going over your calorie limit and the bulky food will stop you feeling hungry. Come dinner time, make healthy choices but include a balanced diet that will give you some bulk with your calories.

The idea is to take advantage of whatever little restriction you have. If you are wide open and can eat anything, you need to fill yourself up, so that you don't have the Hunger Demon raging at you and tempting you to make bad choices. Don't worry about quantities at this stage and don't try to get by on liquids and Protein shakes or aim for 1/4 or 1/2 cup meals. They won't stay in your pouch and you will feel hungry all the time. You need solid foods that will work with the band to help make you feel satisfied, until restriction kicks in.