Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on March 27th of this year. I have lost 59lbs. I had issues with acid reflux early on that led to my band being emptied so as soon as I started solids, my loss stopped. After getting filled back up I was able to lose again. Then due to a vacation and a move to another state, I was unable to gets fills and I plateaued again. I found a dr. here got a nice fill, lost 10lbs, then stopped again. Stayed about 245 for about a month, then lost 14lbs. within 3 weeks. Now I seem to be at a stand still again. I don't change the way I eat during those times, I exercise the same. The weight just seems to be coming of in spurts?

Is anyone else the same? Is this just my body's way of dealing with the loss and excess skin?

There are many theories about plateaus, and bottom line, you have to live with them. My trainer says it isn't really a plateau if it is less than 3 weeks at standstill, it is just the body adjusting. I wanted to believe it. She always cranks up my cardio a bit and looks at my food log to make sure I haven't increased my salty food intake which causes Water shifts. Some weeks I would gain one and then lose 2 in a couple of days with no obvious reason!!! Also, taking weekly measurements is very important for morale. The weeks the scales didn't move the tape measure did and was very reassuring.

Congratulations on your loss so far and best wishes.

Mimi

My doctor reminded me that I didn't gain weight in a steady way and I won't lose weight in a steady ongoing way either. He said it will come in spurts. It's the body's way of dealing with all the changes. Guess that makes sense.

I had my surgery April 03, 09 and have lost 57 lbs. I went to the doctor in Sept and had lost 5 lbs so he felt I didn't need a fill then went back on Oct 22 and had lost 1 lb so he put in 1cc. I went back yesterday and had only lost 1 lb but he didn't seem to think that I needed a fill. I feel like I have reached a plateau and that I'm on a diet. I have been snacking to much and not exercising like I should but I really wanted a fill for December because of the holidays. I have some restriction but I can still eat alot of food and not be sick. This is going to be hard!!

I had my surgery April 03, 09 and have lost 57 lbs. I went to the doctor in Sept and had lost 5 lbs so he felt I didn't need a fill then went back on Oct 22 and had lost 1 lb so he put in 1cc. I went back yesterday and had only lost 1 lb but he didn't seem to think that I needed a fill. I feel like I have reached a plateau and that I'm on a diet. I have been snacking to much and not exercising like I should but I really wanted a fill for December because of the holidays. I have some restriction but I can still eat alot of food and not be sick. This is going to be hard!!

I hear you and having been struggling for 2 months and trying to analyze everything. And I am realizing it is not the fills I need so much but to be more careful about eating the right things. I can really eat an infinite amount of Snacks and they go down pretty easy. My challenge is to avoid the Snacks and keep trying to intake solid Proteins instead.

The best of luck to you and always remember to keep on trying!:smile:

I hear you and having been struggling for 2 months and trying to analyze everything. And I am realizing it is not the fills I need so much but to be more careful about eating the right things. I can really eat an infinite amount of Snacks and they go down pretty easy. My challenge is to avoid the Snacks and keep trying to intake solid Proteins instead.

I'm there with you. Been at the same weight for months. Went for a fill and the dr said no. The problem is that I'm just not following the plan. I need to eat my big Protein first, cut the Starbuck (even the sugar free low fat have high calories) and get back to exercise. But between work travel and a 4 month old foster child that is about to go back to his addict mother. it has been a real challenge. I was pretty happy to spend a week in New Orleans with no weight gain. Knowing and doing are 2 different things. I just need to re-commit. We can do it, just keep plugging away.

Try to stick with meals only. If you don't allow yourself to snack it is much easier to stay on track. If you are not able to stick with 3 meals and no Snacks then most likely your band needs a fill.

Also, there is an interesting recent thread in the Fitness and Exercise section on this board about plateaus and breaking through them.

Thank you for the responses. I already knew most of it, I guess I just needed to be reminded. I was denied a fill at my last appt. as well. I was really hoping for one to get through the holidays without too much temptaion.

Today I was very glad to not have had that fill. I felt very tight today, could not eat much of anything. I am also just ending my period and I believe that may have something to do with my lack of loss in the past week and the tightness today.

Thanks again. Keep up the good work and break through those plateaus!

My doctor reminded me that I didn't gain weight in a steady way and I won't lose weight in a steady ongoing way either. He said it will come in spurts. It's the body's way of dealing with all the changes. Guess that makes sense.

I'm so glad to read this response. I was considering asking my doc about weight loss coming in spurts, at my next appointment. My weight DEFINITELY goes in spurts- then it halts a while, then I lose again. Each time it halts, it's disheartening, because I'm always afraid the loss will stop.

I guess I have to just keep going, eventually the scale will move again!

Hi bevanfranks -

One thing that I've recently discovered is that you need to make sure you are getting enough Protein and enough calories in per day. I was actually eating too little per day. Also, when you're weight changes you may have to change things up a bit as far as calories go. You may want to eat a couple hundred more to see if that gets your weight loss going again. Seems strange, but it works.

Good luck moving past this plateau!

Karyn :thumbup:

Thanks- I'm definitely willing to try it! I don't think I"m overeating- and I'm certainly working out and measuring my foods/eating good quality food. Maybe I do need to increase Protein or calories. . .

Thanks for the tip-

Lisa