Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for those who started with BMI 35 or less

My daughter was the brave one. When she told me she was getting a band, I was shocked, then when she said she was going to Mexico, I was even more shocked. While she was in Tijuana she called and told me how beautiful the St Angeles hospital was. She was highly impressed by it and by Dr. Kuri. I went two years later on her recommendation. I was also very impressed by everyone on his staff. I researched for months before I went, and was unable to find a single complaint about him. I am so glad I did it. I wouln't have done it all though if I had to pay State side prices. Dr. Kuri is very proud of the fact that he can help so many people for a reasonable price.

I would have gone to Mexico but one my best friends is a Dr. and she told my husband that she really thought I should get it done by a local Dr. I tried to talk him into letting me go to Mexico but he said if I wanted it done, I had to do it here. It was 15,500! Yikes!

My daughter was the brave one. When she told me she was getting a band, I was shocked, then when she said she was going to Mexico, I was even more shocked. While she was in Tijuana she called and told me how beautiful the St Angeles hospital was. She was highly impressed by it and by Dr. Kuri. I went two years later on her recommendation. I was also very impressed by everyone on his staff. I researched for months before I went, and was unable to find a single complaint about him. I am so glad I did it. I wouln't have done it all though if I had to pay State side prices. Dr. Kuri is very proud of the fact that he can help so many people for a reasonable price.

Did your daughter get to her goal? I'm so ready to get there! I'm excited that I'm seeing some weight loss and I can just "taste the prize" LOL!

I would have gone to Mexico but one my best friends is a Dr. and she told my husband that she really thought I should get it done by a local Dr. I tried to talk him into letting me go to Mexico but he said if I wanted it done, I had to do it here. It was 15,500! Yikes!

The important thing is that you got it done. I have found, and my daughter has too, that American Docs can not stand Mexican Docs. I have a step Daughter that is an American Doc. I have not told her I got the band and it is my plan to not tell any of my husbands family ever. I guess we will see how that one goes huh!! My experience is that there are some bad Mexican Docs that make it hard on the ones who are trying to do a very good job. I would like to go again for cometic surgery, and when I do, I will be sure to get a good recommendation.

Did your daughter get to her goal? I'm so ready to get there! I'm excited that I'm seeing some weight loss and I can just "taste the prize" LOL!

She hasn't made it to goal yet but has lost almost 100lbs. She hasn't worked the band the whole time, but she is now working hard to be at goal before her sister gets married in Oct. Nice to have goals to get the motivation going again.

I paid 11k for my surgery here in the US. I would've gone to Mexico had it not been for my passport problems though now I would feel unsafe due too all the drug problems in the border but I have yet to come across anyone who has had problems.

They picked us up at the Airport and then took us back after the surgery. The driver spoke enough english to get by, and gave us quite a bit of valuable information, like the best places to eat dinner etc. We went out for my last big meal, and had Mexican food. It was awesome food. They have American too. They had a Fridays resturant and a really nice Sea Food Resturant also. There was no point that I felt unsafe in any way. I even went outside and did my walking and felt safe.

I am a newbie here. I am a low BMI'er who will be a self pay. Currently at 33 BMI and have a goal to be at 24 BMI. That would be a 70 lbs loss for me starting from 240 lbs. I have researched this for over a year and spoken to approx. 3 doctors offices. I have yet to have a consultation with my local doctor but plan to. I am so glad to have found this site. Listening to other low bmi'ers I hear all the same things that are going through my head. Long term investment, yo yo dieting, taking control of my life, people think I'm crazy for doing this. These are all statements I have said or have thought for the last year. I'm 36 years old and tired of being tired. I want to take control of my life and would love to be able to without the band but I have been trying for 15+ years as an overweight person. Any other advice you guys can give please do. My wife, who is in shape and skinny, supports me fully, just says no to Mexico and would rather make payments for a few more years and have it done locally. Any recommendations on financing this surgery? I am thinking combo medical financing and credit card. Thanks again for everyone's comments and if you have other thoughts please feel free to email me at tom@whlong.com.

I am a newbie here. I am a low BMI'er who will be a self pay. Currently at 33 BMI and have a goal to be at 24 BMI. That would be a 70 lbs loss for me starting from 240 lbs. I have researched this for over a year and spoken to approx. 3 doctors offices. I have yet to have a consultation with my local doctor but plan to. I am so glad to have found this site. Listening to other low bmi'ers I hear all the same things that are going through my head. Long term investment, yo yo dieting, taking control of my life, people think I'm crazy for doing this. These are all statements I have said or have thought for the last year. I'm 36 years old and tired of being tired. I want to take control of my life and would love to be able to without the band but I have been trying for 15+ years as an overweight person. Any other advice you guys can give please do. My wife, who is in shape and skinny, supports me fully, just says no to Mexico and would rather make payments for a few more years and have it done locally. Any recommendations on financing this surgery? I am thinking combo medical financing and credit card. Thanks again for everyone's comments and if you have other thoughts please feel free to email me at tom@whlong.com.

Welcome Tom! I wish you well on your journey. I'm glad you picked a Dr. In most cases when you are self pay, it goes pretty quick. I financed my surgery with CareCredit. It had a reasonable rate (9% i think). The terms are for 5 years but I should be able to pay it off this year I hope.

I'm almost 2 weeks post op and feel great. I'm glad I did this!

Hi Tom...welcome....wonderfull choice. I am 44 and have been big forever. I decide the same thing you did so I did take control and was banded 3 weeks ago. I hope by the time I am 45 (officially middle aged in my book) at least I will be a healthy weight. My birthday is June so thats my goal. My hubbie did it too and we paid cash (agree with your wifes Mexico oppinion) I dont have any great ideas about financing but how about calling your bank and asking about loans?

Is it worth the pain and suffering involved. :

To me, yes and I would do it again. As far as pain, 2 days of it with medication and a loving wife at my side was not too bad. After that its just another recovery that I'm guessing a 62 year old person has been through a couple. BTW, I am no longer taking any BP meds or use my CPAP machine.

homewith2-thanks so much for the info on the creditcare. I will check them out now. I have a question in to my doctor regarding financing options. Soexcited, thanks for the encouragement. More is better so that is why i have joined this site. BillOh, great job on the running. We seem to share a similar goal. I am wanting to run a marathon by my 45th birthday and I am 36 now. I have completed 2 mini triatholons as a 230 lbs man and that is what started me on this journey. I tried to lose weight for almost 2 years with trainers and dieticians and such and each time I gain what little i lost back so I am wanting to gain control for the long term. Thanks again everyone and please don't hesitate to tell me the good and the bad of the procedure as I am wanting to know more before i committ to this.

Just wanted to say that my surgery was in Monterrey, Mexico at an amazing hospital, with the wonderful Dr. Rumbaut (who is banded himself). He has a great reputation and was able to get me in to NYU Medical Center for my post-op care before I'd even had my surgery.

Can't remember if I responded to say this earlier, but I put photos of the hospital and a full account of my experience at the beginning of my blog!

Catherine

Just wanted to say that my surgery was in Monterrey, Mexico at an amazing hospital, with the wonderful Dr. Rumbaut (who is banded himself). He has a great reputation and was able to get me in to NYU Medical Center for my post-op care before I'd even had my surgery.

Can't remember if I responded to say this earlier, but I put photos of the hospital and a full account of my experience at the beginning of my blog!

Catherine

I may have had the same problem as some of the posters here about the Mexican Medical system if I had not known my daughter and one other person who went down there for their surgery. I don't know why American Docs have such a hard time with it other than jealousy but I also know that there are some not so reliable Docs in Mexico. From reading these posts however I am finding that the same is also true of American Docs.