Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Biggest Loser

I just love reality tv and weight loss so this show makes me super happy. BUT I wanted to note for those of us that complain about our slow weight loss or those of us that may have expectations that are not inline with reality. T

The people on this show have trainers and work out all day long and (for woman in particular) they almost never lose more than 5 pounds and more often lose about 3.

This was a reality check for me. My expectations are WHACK!

Happy Tuesday!

I've seen one episode and will never watch it again. It was the third or fourth episode of the first season. It takes a lot to go on national TV and do the things they do. I believe the people who were on the show then wanted help - you can't write acting that bad. But for ratings, writers tried to sabotage their weight loss (they made people sit in a room surrounded by refrigerators full of their trigger foods). People were voted off even though they came there for help. I remember the previews before it actually hit the air was talking about the "drama and suspense," and then showed a lady sitting at a table literally bawling and crying because "I'm sooo hungry!" Maybe the show has changed since I saw it - that's entirely possible, but I'll never know. :)

yes i watch it, but after last nights episodes where the guy worked his ass off all week and didn't lose anything - I don't like how they do the weigh in - that dude definately was building some major muscle mass but because he didn't LOSE weight it hurt the team - the show is heart breaking how I still feel they are hurting themselves mentally - that guy was soooo heart broken - and I just wanted to pick him up and say yea but look at you! you could see the defintiion of muscle he was gaining - i just think they don't judge it right by weigh in only - what about body fat %'s and lost inches etc - there's just so much that goes into getting healthy besides just getting the pounds off - that said I will still watch it - I just wish they'd judge it differently

candy he also was binge eating at night and going back to bed. I would also like to say that Jillian the guy's trainer is ..how do you say...CRAZY!!!!! If I had her for a trainer we would be doing alot of kickboxing! LOL STill she has motivated me to go to the gym regularly!

they do judge by percentage lost. that is new this season. but to make it easier for us to keep track with as they weigh in, they calculate the percentage lost to pounds.

I loooooove this show-actually went to try out in Seattle but was too late.I would do it in a heartbeat-I need people like Bob to kick me in gear alot of times-dont think Jillian would get optimal results out of me-she has a personality that I dont react well to.

Im always rooting for them and it can be heartbreaking as I think we can all relate.

I love reality shows too, although they don't seem really real sometimes. They're still fun to watch, for me anyway. I recently started watching The Biggest Loser and was shocked and disappointed that they were showing people losing 10, 17, 13 lbs a week. That is sooooo unhealthy by everything we've been taught, yet they have a nutrionist, and personal trainers. The way they're working out? I would think it is dangerous, they are not allowing their muscles to recover at all. I am really confused by all of that.

As for the poor guy who didn't lose an ounce last night, after all his hard work, I didn't feel like he was bingeing, but rather providing the extra calories he needed to accommodate his huge increase in activity. Even the personal trainer said that when she talked to him later to see what they could do differently to have him show weight loss next week. They're forcing everyone to focus on the losses only. Whoever loses the most wins, period. They get rewarded if they lose the most weight, they get immunity so they can't be voted out, they feel like they have let their team down if they don't lose enough. What is all that garbage? Bad messages being sent and in my opinion, it's perpetuating obesity prejudice. Look, if you eat right? and work your a** off, you will lose weight, it's that simple. Reality is it's not that simple and we know that.

The best way for me to protest what they're doing is to not watch the show and giving them better ratings than they deserve. Boycotting has always been the most effective way of peacfully making changes for those things we don't like or agree with.

This is not a reality show IMHO. Nothing real about it, except maybe that poor guy last night feeling like he just let his entire team down. That was real on his part, but I'd just as soon not encourage anyone to be treated that way in the name of better TV viewing.

Okay, down from soapbox.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Cindy