Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you tell if you stretched your pouch?

If so, how? The past couple of days, I've had two weddings and my husband took us out to Breakfast after church. I'm on purees, so I can have mashed potatoes, steamed carrots (could be smashed with a fork, so the nurse said it was okay). I've had these foods at the weddings, some small ravioli, rice and when we went out to breakfast today, I ordered 2 scrambled egg beaters with potatoes and was sure to eat half the eggs, a couple of forks of potatoes (after I mashed them with a fork), and one piece of wheat toast and took the rest home for dinner. My question is--NOTHING is bothering me, I don't have to chew anything to the point of it being pulvarized (LOL), but I also don't have a measuring cup with me, so I'm not sure if I'm eating more than a cup or not (just using my judgment because I don't want to bring my measuring cup with me to formal affairs). I have to stop myself because I don't get that full feeling, although my tummy's not grumbling anymore. I know it's BAD if I get to the point where I feel I've eaten too much, so I don't want to ever go there.

My question is--if my sight measurements are off and I am in fact eating over a cup, would I know if I stretched my pouch? If so, what does it feel like? I just don't want to go in for my first fill (which my doc does under fluoroscopy) and find out I've stretched my pouch....

I swear I don't really have a band. I just have a port that i can feel and four scars. I'm not trying to brag, but I can eat bread, Pasta and rice already and nothing is giving me an issue. Will it change eventually?

Sorry for all the questions. I really do want this to work, I mean I'm getting all my Protein, putting that first, but wanted to see if there was any kind of feeling that indicates a stretched pouch.

Sorry for the novel!

You will not feel anything for awhile yet. You will think you don't have the band until you begin to get fills. Once you begin that process, you will know you have the band. Also, just a suggestion. I began to eat the way I wanted to eat with my band from the very beginning so I could get used to eating properly once I began to feel the restriciton. It has really helped. You will find yourself not losing weight if you continue to eat the way you did before your band. You still need to make good healthy choices. I have not experience a stretched pouch but from what I read others say on here, you really know it by the nausea, and vomitting and some say diareaha.

Thanks for the info! The funny thing is, I have lost quite a bit of weight--more than I expected. Pre-op I was 214, I weighed in this morning at 195!!! Not too shabby--I'll take it, especially since the scale was stuck for awhile there! I just can't wait to exercise LOL!

I totally agree about making healthier choices. My nutrionist actually put me on a 1500 calorie/42 fat gram per day diet and I lost 20 lbs pre-op!! I really learned the best way to eat during that time and journaling was so great for me that I'm still doing it now.

Thanks again for the info!!!

Wow! You are doing fantastic. It usually takes a couple fills before you feel any restriction (and sometimes more). So you are very disciplined to try to eat 1 cup or less at a time and as we can see by your weightloss it's working.

Keep up the good work!

HI TO YOU AND CONGRATS ON YOUR SUCCESS, I TOO AM EXPERIENCING THE SAME AS YOU, I DONT GET THE FULL FEELING YET THAT EVERYONE GOES ON ABOUT, AM STILL ON THE MASH AND PURREE DIET, 4TH WEEK NOW, I ALSO SOMETIMES FEEL HUNGRY BUT NOT LIKE BEFORE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IT CHNGES COS I AM WAITING TO FEEL FULL AFTER A SMALL MAEL. THANKS BANDED ON 22ND OCT, LOST 20 LBs so far

I was banded on Nov. 10th. When I eat, I get a little bit of a tummy ache after just a little bit of food so I stop. I have also been worried that this ache meant that I was stretching my pouch. What do you guys think? I think some of the problem is the fact that my old habit of eating too fast has been really hard to break. I am trying to slow down though. Anyway, I get a slight stomach ache and then I stop eating. But, unfortunantly, within about and 1-2 hours I am really hungry again. I wish my food was staying with me longer. Sometimes, I feel like I am eating all day long and that scares me because I know we are really only supposed to eat like 3 meals. I am hoping after I get my first fill the food will stay with me longer. I have to say, not drinking anything with my meals is REALLY hard also.

I would think if the band doesn't have any restriction and you don't feel full then you're in no danger of stretching your pouch, sounds like food is slipping through the new stoma and into the rest of your stomach.

bravo for controlling yourself with portions. I have been the same way, scared to do something wrong... I haven't been in for a fill, but the dr did put Fluid in during surgery and I do have restriction. I'm eating more than I thought I would but WAY less than I used to. it's doing what I expected it to do.. MAKE ME EAT LESS. I love my band so far.

120inside- I was banded Nov 9th and I feel the same way as you, but right now since we eat such small amounts( 2-3oz) I was told to eat every few hours. It is working pretty well for me. But I have noticed if I eat more or fast i get a stomach ache too!

10 lbs lost in 7 days

212/202/140