Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for the women

Just wondering if any of you women are more restricted when it is your time of the month. I got a fill on 10-28-2003, my second one. I was feeling restricted and then more during this last week and now that it is towards the end of my time, I am not feeling as restricted. Yesterday I was driving and turned to the right and it felt like my insides were moving and I kinda felt a pop. I am not really sure what happened. I wanted to see if the band was still in place so I took a bite of hamburger, bread and all, and it went down. I could kinda feel it stick a little but then it went down with no problem. I don't really know what to do. I don't want to worry about anything if I am just not as restricted since my time of the month is ending. Please let me know what you think!! Thanks very much!!!

Cannot answer from personal experience, however...I have read about that phenomenon over and over again. It makes sense. For those inclined to retain fluids, those fluids are retained in all the cells in the body, including in the area near the band. More fluids = smaller stoma.

Sue

Yeah, what Sue said. :D

As far as the "pop" you felt, was there any pain? Could it have been a popping joint? It is unlikely what you felt is band related, but it's always good to be alert when something unusual happens.

Loss of restriction is generally a sign of erosion, and not of slippage. Slippage generally involves pain and obstruction, as the lower part of the stomach migrates up through the band. There have been instances where the band slipped wholly down, which increased the size of the stoma - the restriction was still there, but the increased stoma size allowed for greater portions and the sense that restriction was lost.

I also recently read about a woman whose band slipped because the stitches the doc used did not actually include stomach tissue, just surrounding fat around the stomach, due to the fat layer being so thick. As she lost weight, that fat "dissolved", the stitches were no longer stitched to anything, and the band migrated. It was easily repaired laproscopically, but that was of course another surgery.

But again, if there was no pain associated with the "pop", I doubt it had anything to do with the band.

I'm at the end of my cycle also. I have had less restriction in the last 2 weeks, have been thinking of getting my 2 fill. I havn't lost any weight for 2 weeks then this morning I'm down 2 lbs!! It must be the Water retention, and as usually for me I seem to be more hungry prior to my cycle. So I guess I'm the opposite of what your exeriencing.

As for the POP I feel for you, Don't have any advice except call the doctor.

OK So here is another question! What is erosion? I have only had the band since August. There wasn't any pain with the pop. It was under my left ribcage. I called the Dr. and I have an appt Friday morning at 9; she said he may request a bariam swallow, but he may just see if he can feel anything!! Sigh Sigh!! Praying nothing is wrong:-)

Erosion is where the band is absorbed into the stomach. This is a slow process, and would not happen to a newbie - it's a 1 year+ complication. It also is not terribly common, but does happen.

So rest assured, you do not have erosion at this point. :D

Thanks!! I don't think anything is really wrong. I think I just have more restriction since I am off my time of the month:-) But the lady at the Dr's office told me it is better to be safe than sorry. So, I will go in on Friday. I posted before where everything I ate but salads got stuck, but not anymore! I guess sometimes I just worry about something going wrong. But, I am keeping my fingers crossed. I hate my time of the month! I feel like a bloated cow! I have only lost 20 lbs and I have had 2 fills. I hope the band works for me! Thanks everyone for the replies!!!