Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Big No-No's

I miss rice the most- white or brown, I can't eat rice at all! I love apples, but as mentioned above by someone else, I can still eat apples, but only if I peel them!

Even though my dr said I can eat corn tortillas, they don't always work out so well either. In order to eat them it requires way too much chewing, so I opt not to have them anymore.

Lisa

Lisa, I just found some "ready to serve" brown rice by Minute Rice. It comes in two 1-cup microwaveable bowls. It is already cooked, and all you have to do is heat the cup for 1 min. in the micro. I added a good dollop of low-fat butter spread, and I chewed very well and slowly, and it went down just fine. It was such a treat to have rice again! Just thought I would pass that along. Maybe the way it is prepared (or maybe it was the butter, which I don't normally use) that helps it go down better. I believe it was like $2.49 for the 2 cups. I figured it was cheap enough to try, even if I ended up throwing it out. :thumbup: Good luck.

SpideyMom, that sounds wonderful! I too am really missing rice, so that sounds like it would hit the spot. Thanks for the heads up.

How funny, I baked an apple just last week-end. I used i can't believe it's not butter spray (no calories) and Splenda mixed with cinn. It was really good and no calories except the apple.

That sounds like a good little healthy treat..how long to you bake the apple for??

i do not have an issue either which scares me.. ihave lost 20lbs since sept 8th surgery. i am hungry. is this normal?

Karenmg, you might need another fill. . . you should discuss your hunger with your doctor.

Early on I could eat just about anything, however, with each fill it limits my foods slightly. Either that or I have to modify the way I eat a few things- - like peeling apples, etc.

Lately I've had problems with deli turkey, which used to be a favorite. And recently, after my last fill, Peanut Butter, which is one of my favorite things in the whole world. I'm mad about that!

Ya know, when some people say that WLS is the easy way out, I think we should show them this thread with all the foods we can no longer eat! And this is just one part of what makes it a difficult journey.

Congrats to all who continue to keep their chin up and persevere! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by SpideyMom
typo

This band is an interesting 'tool' and it always surprises me how differently we are all effected by it. My best friend and I were banded on the same day, and we have both been very successful but have had entirely different experiences and food issues. I have found I don't tolerate bread or doughy foods and she can. That is actually a welcome restriction for me, because I was a carb-aholic and lived on breads and donuts/pastries/pizza/breakfast burritos/egg McMuffins/etc. I am AMAZED that I have not missed these foods. I feel SO much better not eating them, and attribute a lot of my success to a low-carb, high Protein diet. The only thing I still love the taste of is garlic bread, so when my family has some, I may have a bite or two - chew and savor - and then discreetly spit it into a napkin and throw it out without swallowing. I can tolerate rice, and my favorite is the whole-grain chicken rice in the microwaveable packet (I think it's Lipton brand?). I'm hit and miss on deli meats, chicken, and ground beef - one day OK, another day stuck. My family has become familiar with my bug-eyed look when something isn't going down good :smile:. But overall I am THRILLED with this tool and how it helps me limit all of the junk I once filled my body with. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know if it's good or bad, but I don't seem to have a problem with too much of anything. There are somethings that I avoid just because everyone says they are tough...pizza being the first thing that comes to mind. But I have toast occasionally. I eat tortillas regularly. I have rice. Lettuce. Deli meat. chicken, turkey, ham, beef.

The only thing I have any issues with is sausage that is still in the casing. Doesn't matter how small or how many times I chew.

Of course, my portions are tiny compared to what I ate in the past, but still more than I think some people with the band would consider appropriate. I went in for my fifth fill today. I now have 8.3 in a 14 band. I had been going about every month or so for a fill, but this past time I thought I had reached my sweet spot and was planning on skipping October and November and waiting until December for one. But right about the month mark I started finding myself getting hungrier and hungrier much sooner than I had in the past. I was snacking too much to try and help control my portion size at meals, and I realized all I was doing was adding empty calories to fill the gap. Sure, it was things like almonds, cottage cheese, or greek yogurt, but it was calories that I shouldn't have needed to consume to get to my next meal.

I'm really hoping this fill puts me back on track, because next week my family and I am going to DisneyWorld, and I don't want to overeat, and I don't want to be so tight that I have to worry about it either.

David

I've been having problems lately with raw veggies -- carrots in particular. Didn't have any problems with those before, though I had heard they could be problematic. Also having trouble with cooked broccoli. It's sad that my veggies are becoming limited. Thankfully cooked carrots are still okay, because I love those!

Mamadot, I also love this tool. I have given up sugar and white carbs, and I don't miss them as much as I thought I would, thank God!

David, hope that fill is going well for you, and hope you and your family have a fabulous time in Disney World!! Oh, and btw, I also have a problem w/sausage casing. Just like grapes and oranges... the skin just doesn't agree, but the insides are fine. lol :)

I can eat just about anything. But once in a while chicken or beef gets a little stuck and I get that bug eyed look on my face.

CHEW-CHEW- CHEW.......is the name of the game......