Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction after 1st fill???

Anyone get decent restriction after your first fill? I have the realize band and got my my first fill under Flouroscope and he put in 5.2 cc's. He said it was pretty aggressive and the barium went through pretty slowly. For about an hour I could feel liquids going down. They would slow for a split second then go through. After a couple hours liquids went down just fine.

Greg

We have the same surgery date, and I got 5cc in my 10cc band during my first fill. I don't think I know what restriction feels like yet, I don't have to eat slowly and can eat anything I want with no problems. Next appt Nov 8th, hopefully I'll learn about restriction then. Doctor said be patient, it may take 2 or 3 fills to find restriction.

I had my first fill on Tuesday. He put in 4 cc under fluoroscope. He said it looked good, but I feel very little. I just ate two eggs and a piece of toast and don't fill overly full.

My surgery was 9/23 as well. I asked for my first fill early and had it 2 weeks ago. I just had my second fill yesterday. First fill he put in 7 cc's explaining that 3 would stay in the tubing and port...so 4 in my band

I couldn't swallow even 1 sip of Water.< /p>

He took out 2cc's and that left 2 in my band. Yesterday I had 1.2 cc more put in and I still don't feel that much restriction...weird...

I know I have some because I am loosing weight, but I feel like I am eating more than I should be.

I hope 3 times is a charm, but he doesn't want to see me for 6 more weeks :sad:

I am relieved to hear I am not the only one not experiencing restriction after one fill. My doctor said to come back in a couple of months, when I feel I need more, but I already feel like I need more and it has only been a couple of weeks.

I am relieved to hear I am not the only one not experiencing restriction after one fill. My doctor said to come back in a couple of months, when I feel I need more, but I already feel like I need more and it has only been a couple of weeks.

Some doctors are more strict about length of time between fills, but it wouldn't hurt to call to see if you can get in earlier (unless you know for a fact you can't).

It took me several fills - up to the point that I had around 11cc in a 9cc Realize Band to get optimal restriction. At least once, I went back after two weeks for another fill, when it was clear I didn't have good enough restriction. The doctor did that fill under fluoro just to check things out, and my band was fine, and I just needed a booster.

Until you find you have good restriction, my advice would be to religiously measure your meals - if your doctor has a set amount of food you're allowed to eat at a given meal, and if you find you have to add an extra meal because you're hungry, do that, rather than overfilling your pouch.

Also, don't get discouraged if you have good restriction and it goes away after a couple of weeks or so. Initially, you may feel like you have good restriction because of swelling and from stomach fat, which as you lose it, causes your band to loosen. I was convinced my band was leaking because I kept losing restriction, when looking back, now I know it was pretty normal to lose it after a period of time until you finally lose that stomach fat. Once you're closing in on your sweet spot, often it takes just a tiny adjustment get you there, or if you overshoot, to get you back.

Edited by kiz

seems crazy to have to wait long periods of time between fills. My DR. wants you to give it 2 weeks but If you aren't restricted by then come back in. 6 weeks seems rediculous to me.

Greg

My first band was a Realize band. I didn't have restriction after my first fill but the second put me at my sweet spot and I lost almost all of my weight on this fill.

I had a slip and band replacement to a 14cc Allergan band. I just had my first fill on Tuesday and I can already feel some restriction.

For some of us it comes really fast, for others it is a very slow process. I think a lot of it has to do with how aggressive the doctors are with the fills.

Kiz I luvvvv your ticker :0)

I was also curious about your name. Kiz in turkish is girl . . . did you choose it for this reason or some other??

From most of the people I have tallked to Flouro is the way to go. They are free for me until the end of DEC so I hope to get 1 to 2 or til my sweet spot by then. Like I said my doc will do them fairly often. He can be more agressive. He got it to the point where the barium was slowly passing through. I can't figure out why I wouldn't have restriction after that but I am not counting on it.

I had restriction after my first fill. Consider yourself lucky if you do:)