Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

kinda skipped the mushy food diet

i was banded on oct. 13. i did the liquid diet for 9 days. then i started on the mushy food diet. some how i found myself eating something normal. at first i was terrified that i was going to throw up or it would get stuck. but nothing happened. so i started eating more regular food. so far nothing has affected me negatively. i have my post op appt. today. i'm not sure if i should tell the dr. that i'm eating normal foods or not. i'm eating healty for the most part. salads and chicken and lean hamburg. just not sure what to tell the dr. anyone else skip the mushy foods diet?????:cursing:

The reason you are required to be on special diets is so all the healing can take place according to my doctor. You now have a foreign object inside of you and your body has to get use to it. Also, my doctor placed a couple of stitches inside to hold the band in place. They don't want your stomach to work too much to digest harder foods like chicken, hamburger, salads.

I suggest you tell your doctor so he will be alerted if you have done any damage to your band. BTW, you probably won't have a lot of trouble with passing foods until you start to get your fills. In fact, it's this time that it is mostly up to you to refrain from overeating. Until you get enough fills and get to your sweet spot, it is going to take a lot of hard work.

Now forgive yourself for not following your doctor's instructions and go forward. You paid too much for all of this to play around with it. You want to lose the weight and it's going to take a long hard road to get there.

Good luck.

I was banded the same day as you...so it must be the day! I too skipped right over the mushies and went to regular food. Only my doctor knew and said it was ok as long as I made good choices and chewed the food.< /p>

I am doing fine and most foods agree with me. I also had salad and it went right down with no issues. I am careful what I eat and also with the portion size. I don't feel deprived at all. He is even allowing me a little wine.

Overall, I feel great. I sleep better then I did in years and I feel like have more energy too. Now to get on a good exercise schedule!

Good luck!

i was banded on oct. 13. i did the liquid diet for 9 days. then i started on the mushy food diet. some how i found myself eating something normal. at first i was terrified that i was going to throw up or it would get stuck. but nothing happened. so i started eating more regular food. so far nothing has affected me negatively. i have my post op appt. today. i'm not sure if i should tell the dr. that i'm eating normal foods or not. i'm eating healty for the most part. salads and chicken and lean hamburg. just not sure what to tell the dr. anyone else skip the mushy foods diet?????:cursing:

You should definitely tell your doctor what you have eaten.

Please understand I am not trying to be mean here but just because you were able to eat solids without obvious problems doesn't mean you should eat them. Digestion is different with solid food. It causes the stomach to churn more and could possibly tear your stitches that hold your band in place. Damage from eating solids too soon usually show up later when your band slips.

Tell your doctor so he/she knows what to look for.

So....

Lemme see if i get this right:

You (or your insurance) pays some big bucks for you to get a Lap Band, and you decide (all by yourself) that you are going to SKIP a fundamental part of the Post-op protocol?

Huh?

I swear...why do some people even BOTHER to have weight loss surgery.

There is a VERY GOOD reason that the "mushies" are part of the routine.

Seriously....make your Doctor aware of what you've done, and don't make any more "decisions" on your own. People NOT following the prescribed protocol is a BIG reason why so many people fail at Weight Loss Surgery.:cursing:

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I also was banded on Oct 13 and I am following every rule my doctor and nutritionist has given me. I do not want my band to slip plus I seen the stories about band slippage and I still think God everyday my insurance covered my band so the least I can do is comply. I am on Soft/moist foods which is prolly what the Dr calls mushy foods...like eggs, cottage cheese, and refried Beans..I refuse to not be a success story....

Just my opinion of course

Amy!