Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guess I am going to cancel my Oct 30 surgery!

I guess this just isnt for me!! I cannot stick to pre op diet and have only lost one pound. I have tried but I cant I did good all day today but then this evening i ate supper with everyone else..My surgery was sch. for the 30th but I guess I should just cancel

My advice would be for you to call your surgeon. You might do better with the band if you have some counseling first with a nutritionist &/or a psychologist. Some pre-op diets are much more restrictive than others, and some people do "cheat" a little, but it sounds like you're having more problems sticking with the diet than most. Cheating with the band can lead to worse problems than just weight gain. Unfortunately, it can lead to major band problems. If it were me, I'd want to make sure I had my head in the right place before going through with the surgery. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Thanks but I have already gone through a 12 month diet and pysch testing for the surgery..its just I cannot handle just liquids...i know i will have to do them for some time after the band which makes this 2 week period even harder

Do you think your doctor might modify the pre op diet if you tell him/her that you're having a hard time? I think I've heard that suggested before.

Debbie

my pre-op diet was Atkins for 2 weeks .... eating no carbs shrinks the liver.

The pre-op diet is not about losing weight, it's about shrinking the fat around your liver. And once you have the surgery, you simply will not want anything but liquids for a week or so - the desire to eat solid food will not be there.

But if you really feel that after investing 12 months of your life and money, this isn't the thing for you, then you do have a hard choice to make. Letting 2 weeks out of the past 52 weeks dictate your future seems quite harsh.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

I would not give up.. I didnt have time to do a post op diet and I had sugery.. I gained like5 lbs before sugery! I would say try the best you can.. after surgery you will do better!!

Missy,

I am scheduled for surgery on October 30th as well...I have been on an all liquid diet for almost 10 days and it is a struggle. I knew going into this stage what it would entail. I was well prepared. I emptied all my cabinets of food and stocked up on lots of liquids, extracts and seasonings. The biggest thing for me is ice. I use it in almost all of my drinks and yogurts. It helps to add to texture. I miss crunching. I love to crunch on chips, nuts, and veggies. However, I go on here when I get an urge or I go to Youtube and watch videos and blogs of LapBand patients. My advice to you is this...if you truly want to have the lapband then your willpower will dominate the need to eat. If you are not able to do this, then the time is not right for you at this point. All you have to do is take a step back, re-evalute your situation and when you are truly ready your willpower will get you through the liquid stage! Of course...after all is said and done, talk to your doctor...he/she will give you the best advice. It might not be so bad. I send you all my best wishes and good luck with your choices!

Peggy

I found that sticking to the post-op diet was much easier for me then sticking to it pre-op. Why???? Because after the surgery I was committed to the band rules.

Consider whether or not having the band will then make you have to (in your own mind) stick to it. If you think you can then do it.

The band helped me mentally every bit as much as physically to stick to the required diet. It may help you too, especially if you yourself have to pay for the surgery.

Best of luck to you,

Donna

OH....please don't give up! You deserve to lose weight and feel better about yourself. Call your surgeon and be honest that you are struggling but please don't give up!

Blessings to you,

Sarah

hi lilmissy...

dont give up...

my doctor had a theory i totally agreed with...he felt if i could stick to a pre-op diet..i probably wouldnt need a band.

post surgery the band helped me with the enormous hunger i felt 24/7.

for me...pre-op didnt reflect my post-op performance.

dont get me wrong...post-op i did have to practice healthy skills in order to take the weight off and i worked hard at it.......but the band helped me.

good luck in whatever decision you make....

josie

PLEASE don't give up!!! You only have 4 days left. You are so close and you have come so far. I am also on the pre-op diet and yes it is hard at times but you just have to look back and think what do you want more to live the life you have been living (that you already weren't happy with do to the fact you are wanting the band) or a new start with a new you? For me I am tired of being fat! I don't want that life for me anymore. I want to be healthy. I am 31 and I want to be around for my hubby and kids. I was diagnosed with HBP at 22. I don't want to live on pills anymore. Just take it one day at a time. You will get through this!! I have faith in you. If you need to pray and God will give you the will. That's what I do!! :wink2: Again please hang in there you are almost there. If you need support I will be here for you to help you. Best of luck!!

CALL YOUR DOCTOR'S OFFICE TODAY. Not to cancel, but to talk to someone, asking for help with the pre-op diet and getting through it.

As another poster said, post-op I was on liquids for 10 days. for the first 7 I really didn't care if I ate any food at all. Liquids were more than plenty what with the swelling, etc. The three days after that, until I went to mushy foods, i just had as much of what I was allowed as made me happy .... sugar free puddings, SF popsicles, SF Jello, beef and chicken stocks (I made my own because it actually TASTES like food instead of that stuff in cans and boxes at the store), Protein shakes (put in the blender with ice to get the texture of a milkshake sometimes). Post-op is actually more lenient than pre-op for a lot of us. My pre-op was not all liquids so I was lucky. But please don't give up on yourself just yet. Talk to your doctor's office. Be frank with them. I'm pretty sure you aren't the first patient to struggle with this part of it.

my pre-op diet was Atkins for 2 weeks .... eating no carbs shrinks the liver.

Im doing the atkins also but you said no carbs. the atkins has carbs, how many carbs are you allowed? Im also doing the 4oz chicken or fish w/veggies at night .

Atkins only allows less than 20 carbs. That is next to nothing. There are some vegies on atkins, but very limited. I just tried to stay away from carbs the best I could. I ate a few salads while doing it and used no carb dressing, no croutons or bread of any kind. Your vegies alone sometimes put you over the carb limit.

I am not one to obcess over every carb, every calorie, every gm of Protein. I feel like I have better things to do and to obcess over.

If you follow the basic guidelines, you should be fine.

That being said, If your doc says liquids only .......

I just couldn't have done that without the band.