Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

Hey all, I went to my first support group meeting arranged through my surgeon's office, the psychologist who did my psych eval facilitates the support group meetings. They have these two times a month and require that you go to at least one meeting pre-op. Anyway, I just want to share how inspiring it was. There was a lady who had lost 220 pounds and everyone else who had the band for over a year had lost 100+. There was one lady who had it since April who lost 58. I'm just so amazed at how successful they all are and how they radiate self-confidence and happiness. Of course, these are the people still going to support group so probably more success in that group. I definitely want to hang w/that group! LOL Anyway, it was just so incredibly inspiring. There are so many people who don't know anything about WLS, but feel inclined to tell you about so-and-so who it didn't work for. It was exhilerating to be in a group of people who know all about it and are living proof that it works. :confused:

Hi all! I'm Cat in Estero, FL. I just got my surgery date December 30th. I've had my psych and nutritional consults as welll as met my surgeon (Dr. Larson, JFK Medical Center, Lake Worth FL) I will be starting my pre-op diet soon to get that liver shrunk. They suggested two weeks prior but I am gonna start sooner as I am anxious.

I had to cancel. I talked to a nurse that scared me out of going to mexico. So now I need to save another $7,500.00 and go from there.

Hi KarynA,

I finally have a date, December 17. :-)

I asked for the time off today. I told my supervisor that I was going to have surgery and needed a week to recover. He didn't ask me any questions about the type or anything, so I didn't have to say. Phew. I was a bit worried.

Now I just need the final confirmation from the surgeon (should have by tomorrow) and we'll be good to go.

P.S. By the way, if anyone checks out my blog and wonders why my name there and here don't match, the name I created here is based on a nickname that a friend gave to me - Mel Torme. Also, if you don't want to read about all of our trying to conceive drama, don't read any posts prior to September of this year.

I also have a date set for December 2, 09. I just started the liquid diet and all I am allowed is a gross tasting chocolate called meditrim. I am only allowed 3 of those a day and 2 cups of vegtables. I am starving. LOL I also have a problem with low blood sugars and am feeling all of those effects right now... Is there a group set-up yet for Dec banders... I originally was suppose to be a november but am now a cool december one.... I am getting nervous now as well... EKKKKK

Hi michelleisaac, Your liquid diet sounds really tough. I'm on day 2 of Optifast and tonight I braved the garden Tomato dried Soup. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I have to eat 5 units a day; either shakes, bars or Soup. The taste is bearable and I'm not hungry, yet.

I got some bad news today. MY EKG is abnormal. In fact it appears that I have had a bad heart attack. I'm having a thallium stress test on Mon. and Tues. My PCP doesn't think the EKG was accurate as I am very healthy and have no heart failure symptoms but I can't be cleared for surgery unless it is cleared up. After a few hours of frothing and spazzing I'm just gonna go with the flow. If I can't have the surgery I'm confident I can lose weight with Optifast or some other restricted program.

Please wish me luck fellow bandsters!

p.s. This is the site for December Bandsters

GOT MY DATE!! :confused:

Looks like I'm getting a band for Christmas! :scared2::lol: Dec 21st is my date. I am excited and nervous:cursing:. I am now ready to start stocking up on my goodies. Thanks everyone for the lists!

I had to cancel. I talked to a nurse that scared me out of going to Mexico. So now I need to save another $7,500.00 and go from there.

So sorry about this. I feel you are doing the right thing. I live near Mexico and would not go there for surgery. I want my doctor where I can reach him at a moments notice. You can do this!!! Save! Save! Save! and before you know it you'll be banded. Sorry to lose you to the group though. Best wishes to you...I'll say a prayer for you!

Edited by illuminationlady

hi i am larry live in mass, getting banded dec 7, nervous and happy at same time

GOT MY DATE!! :confused:

Looks like I'm getting a band for Christmas! :scared2::lol: Dec 21st is my date. I am excited and nervous:cursing:. I am now ready to start stocking up on my goodies. Thanks everyone for the lists!

whats on the list i/m going in dec 7

How much weight is everyone looking to lose? And was their an inspiration in your life that made you want to do this?

I would like to lose 150 lbs. I need to get healthy for my 2 small kids. They need their mom and I want to be around for a long time for them!

I, too, went to a support group meeting. Although this one was special. The normal support group meets on Monday's. I plan to attend that one too. Last night was for Emotional Eaters and is run by a therapist who has been banded. Most of the night was dedicated to introducing ourselves and letting off some steam. Many have lost. Some have gained. Some were bypass patients. Many are struggling. I heard the cries of, "I'm hungry".

Apparently, from what I've read and what I heard last night, at first you are not hungry at all. Then you go through, "Bandster Hell". This is the period where your stomach is done with the swelling and you have not had a fill. This happens 4-6 weeks out. Then you get your first fill. This is not enough to stop the hunger...maybe for a few days...then the hunger returns but not as badly. With each fill you work towards your, "sweet spot". This can also be called the "green zone". This is the critical point where you must chew and think about every bite you take in or else you have a "productive burp", also called PBing. Apparently it's not pleasant. Once in the green zone you feel much restriction and must eat carefully. It's very, very important to find this sweet spot. This was the main thing I learned from the meeting.

If you have not ordered the book, it is a must read for all of us. I just finished reading "How to Eat Out". It is very helpful. I got mine from the library. I will repeat the name for the new people: Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band: Everything You Need to Know Before and After Surgery to Lose Weight Successfully by Dr. Robert Sewell.

Don't forget to join our group at: December Bandsters 2009 Group.

Have a good evening everyone!!!

Can you post a link to the group? For some reason i can not find it.

LAP-BAND

Above is the link to our group: December Bandsters 2009 Group. Hope this helps.

I just found today that my date is Dec.10!!! They submitted my paperwork to my insurance on the 16th and today I got a call from my insurance company telling me I was approved and then 2hrs later my surgeons office called and scheduled me. I am very excited but also getting very nervous, its just happening very quickly(not really complaining)!!

I tried to find the group on my own (without using the link) and couldn't find it.