Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

New on the board, in Atlanta area. Gonna self pay (actually, my employer is paying). I went to the seminar two nights ago. Will knock out all my requirements by Nov 3. Hope to have banding near the end of Nov. Wish me luck, I will post back later.

OK, so 1 day later.....

I am a guy, so maybe i am not suppose to be emotional...... but last night was tough.... I was thinking about all the changes coming... and was near tears.... my SO is not always so compassionate....says she will be there for me, but we fought on the way home from the informational seminar cause she was worried how HER life would change... as such, i don't want to talk to her about my fears. I have someone to talk too, it is just not my SO.

She has lost 50 lbs in the last 6 months from having braces and a greater activity level at work. So this is not about her being fat and me thin....

It is about her insecurities....

I need support.... I am afraid.... I am self pay and full speed ahead... I have ALL my prerequisites being done in the next 10 days despite traveling for 5 of them to the west coast..

I am motivated, but scared.... Help

I think, no, i know I can do this..... I quit chewing tobacco cold turkey after 25 years and never looked back....

I just need encouragement....

Love that this board is here....

Thanks to all that read this....

TJ

Hi tarajim I'm sorry to hear that your girlfriend is not being the support that you need, I am in the same boat with my husband he TOLD me that I was not getting the surgery:cool:, so he doesn't even know that I have started the process. You have to keep in mind that this is for YOU to better your life and your health it's not about your girlfriends insecurities.... it sounds to me that she's afraid of you being smaller for some reason. I think it's great that your employer is willing to pay for this surgery for you, this is a great opportunity for you and I hope that everything works out for you. But just remember this is about your life and health. Good Luck..:blushing:

I can totally understand you all. I have been trying to get my husband to support this for 2 years. Finally I took him with me to my endocrinologist and it just happend to be the day that the Dr told me that if I did not permanently drop the weight I would never live to see 40 and if I did my quality of life would be awful. I am also self pay and he was concerned about paying out the money. I have also set my mind to the fact that this is what I am going to do. I have completed all of my testing except for the upper GI and it is scheduled for Wed morning. I am looking at a surgery date of Nov 13. I know that I am strong enough to do this with or without him. Many times I think our family and others do not understand how bad we truely feel being so overweight. I gave up on dieting along time ago. Like everyone on here I have taken every diet pill, went on every crazy diet and bought every stupid workout video out there. I need a real proven tool. I get on here every day and look at the before and after photos for encouragement. I just can't wait to see me next year. Feeling good is the best gift I am ever going to give myself. Good Luck ya'll. It is going to be the greatest thing we have ever done. Move forward and don't let anything stand in the way. This is not a vanity surgery this is the gift of life.

Where in GA are you having your surgery done? I am using Dr. Ponce in Dalton.

I am using Dr Johnson in John's Creek, in Gwinett.

I am also using him. If you didn't already know, if you go to Memorial in Chattanooga to have your surgery by him, it is not an outpatient surgery. But if you have it done in Dalton, it is an outpatient surgery. Just some info for ya! :blushing:

I am also using him. If you didn't already know, if you go to Memorial in Chattanooga to have your surgery by him, it is not an outpatient surgery. But if you have it done in Dalton, it is an outpatient surgery. Just some info for ya! :blushing:

I'm having mine done with Dr. Hart at Perimeter. And I can't wait until that day comes :laugh:

I am using Dr Johnson in John's Creek, in Gwinett.

Tarajim-

I am also using Doctor Johnson at John's Creek. I am scheduled for 11/13. :wink2:

Tarajim-

I am also using Doctor Johnson at John's Creek. I am scheduled for 11/13. :wink2:

Good luck to you..... I live in Snellville and work in Lawrenceville.... I am hoping for 11/23...

Let us know how it goes!!!

TJ

I'm having mine done with Dr. Hart at Perimeter. And I can't wait until that day comes :cursing:

I am using Dr. Hart too. Surgery will be done at Perimeter. Met Dr. Hart last Tuesday and surgery is scheduled one week from today. My insurance had 6 months of requirements so I have been going to the office on Peachtree-Dunwoody. I live in Griffin but work in Conley. Kinda cool to see someone on here so close.

TJ, my insurance required that I go thru 6 months of jumping thru hoops. This almost made me decide not to have the band but my husband said he thought I should do it. So - I set my mind to it and now I am one week away. However, I can tell my hubby is a little nervous. He made the comment one night "Better to have a fat wife than a skinny ex-wife". I have a friend who had GB years ago, got skinny and started cheating on her husband. He thinks once my self esteem gets better, I might wise up to all his issues and leave him. We have been together almost 15 years - he's nuts if he thinks there is something about him I don't know! Anyway, I think people let themselves get into a comfort zone and the prospect of change scares them. A part of my job is implementing new policies and procedures and people do not like change!! The band is slower weight loss than GB and I hope that helps my hubby with adjusting along the way...same for me. I have been reading posts on this site for months. It provides alot of great info and you will ALWAYS be able to find at least one person going thru the same things you are. Best of luck to you - and me!!

TJ, your SO's problem may boil down to this: the unknown. Yeah, she's losing weight but you're looking at something a bit more extreme than, say, Weight Watchers. That pretty much equals permanent changes. And so, she sees her relationship with you being at risk. Will social things that involve food and drink become a thing of past? Will you surpass her weight loss and find some other woman to replace her? Will you become a hard ass and be less tolerant of her size after you fix yours?

Hopefully, she just needs some reassurance. Just make sure she understands that you are doing this for you...your health, your future. And (of course, as long as this is true) that such changes will in turn allow you to be there for her and with her in that future.

My 20 year old granddaughter and her little girl live with me and she was afraid that we'd be eating "rabbit food" after my surgery, that I would change personality wise. But once she saw that we eat real food at real meals as a family AND she realized that nothing could change how I feel about her or her little girl, well, it was all okay.

I am using Dr. Hart too. Surgery will be done at Perimeter. Met Dr. Hart last Tuesday and surgery is scheduled one week from today. My insurance had 6 months of requirements so I have been going to the office on Peachtree-Dunwoody. I live in Griffin but work in Conley. Kinda cool to see someone on here so close.

Well good luck to you Dawn, I wish my surgery was one week away I still have my psych and nutrition evals to do so I'm hoping with in the next couple of weeks I'll get a surgery date, my ins didn't require me to do a three or six month diet which I'm glad it didn't. Make sure you let us know how your doing after the banding. God Bless. :(

I am waiting on BCBS to give the go ahead...supposed to have an answer w/ in the week. I too will be banded by Dr Hart and many from my place of employment used him. Nothing but good things so far except lack of details. What to expect after surgery...how informative/helpful is he?

Thanks!

Sheila

Newnan, GA