Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

medical alert bracelet

I'm just curious...do any of you wear a medic alert Bracelet now that you are banded? The dietician at my doctors office recommends it but the doctor says it isn't mandatory. What do you all think?

Marsha:confused:

I've thought about it, but I just can't see me wearing a Bracelet every day of my life. The only danger would come if you became unconscious and did not have family around to tell the hospital staff about the band. And then the only danger would come if they tried to place a nasogastric tube without benefit of flouroscopy. It's certainly something that could happen, but it's not likely. Unless you have a medical condition that might cause you to lose consciousness. I would ask the nutritionist why she feels it is necessary.

I have a good friend who is banded (as well as hubby being banded in a couple of weeks) and she always wears a medical alert Bracelet. If I was banded, I would for sure wear one all of the time. If I was to get into a car accident, for example, and was rushed to the hospital unconscious, I would want the medical personnel to know that I was banded. I will definetely ask my husband to wear one after he gets his band on November 21st.

Tami

I've heard lots of great arguments on both sides of this issue, and it just boils down to what you're comfortable with. I don't have one and don't feel the need. I just guess I figure if I'm in that sort of condition the possible complications my band might cause are the least of my concerns.

I wouldn't be against a wallet card or something like that, but a Bracelet just isn't practical. I don't even wear a watch. :D

Hi,I carry a card in my wallet and I also had a copy of it put in my medical file where I Dr. My Dr. told me if I was ever in an accident and they did x-rays or scans they might not know what this object was and may preform surgery to try to remove it.I hope this never happens and if it ever did I hope one of my family members are there to speak for me.I do do alot of traveling alone due to my job so chances are if I was in an accident no one would be there to speak for me and I would have a Dr. that dosn't know a thing about me treating me.In my case I may get the medical alert band and wear it when I am traveling. Roxanne

Originally posted by Wendy

Is it a card from your surgeon's office that states you have a Lap-Band? [sic]

It is a great idea to carry this type of card along with your medical insurance cards and ID's in your wallet.

You're right, it is a great idea. I obtained my card via Inamed and keep it behind my driver's license. If you're band is made by Inamed (you can ask your dr.), you can get a card by calling: 805.683.6761 or maybe filling out the form on their webiste. Click here.

It doesn't cost anything and I got it in about 4 days via snail mail. I do not care to wear a Bracelet. The card gives me the assurance I need.

Originally posted by Wendy

Alicia,

My band is from Inamed and I will call them tomorrow. Thanks for the information. By the way, the stock of the company just split from $30/share to $90 as of yesterday. Probably not too late to get on the Inamed bandwagon. Hindsight is great...ain't it!

Wendy

Cool! :D

Good deal, Wendy, being proactive on the lab work. I never thought about it, but had 6 month lab work as scheduled with my GP. You are doing great! Keep it up!

Wendy, when you get your card you'll start showing it off like you do your baby's photo in your wallet. It really helps people understand how the band works. It's an educational tool and medical alert all in one!! :D