Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've recently started adding bananas to my Protein Drinks because quite frankly, I was getting sick of them and getting nauseus (sp?) when I drank them. I told a friend of mine who had the Gastric Bypass and you would have thought I told her I was putting 5 lbs of plain sugar. She was just in shock that I would do such a thing! Am I doing something wrong? I told myself that it was because we had 2 different surgeries, and that's what made her react the way she did. I thought I'd ask the experts here on the board. Thank you!

This is to funny. I to have added bananas to my Protein drinks. I've made several different ones but u get tired of those. I wanted a new flavor. My dieticians said no fruits. oooopppps sorry. I hope it's not that bad. Can't wait to see what others say.

It's the carb count in a banana that makes some people squirm. However, it's a very digestible form of sugar plus it's a good source of potassium, so it's not the same as eating a chocolate bar. When I did Weight Watchers, I remember we were limited to 1/2 a banana/day.

1 medium banana (105 calories, 27 grams carbs, 1 gram Protein, 420 mg potassium, 0.5 gram fat).

Mmm nope… bananas are not bad for you. I have one tiny banana almost every single day. When I’m picking them out I always choose the smallest bananas available. They are packed with good nutrition and potassium. Some sugars are good for you, and a well balanced nutrition includes 5 servings of veggies and fruits daily.

However with ANYTHING you can eat, too much of it can become bad for you.

Good luck in your journey!

27 carbs??? Holy cow! I had no idea! And, I think my bananas fell between medium and large. Ok, I feel better now, I just know to start picking the smaller bananas and I can stop feeling guilty about it!

Thank you everyone!

That is the only way I can get my Protein Shakes down. I blend them with 1/2 banana and a little ice and it creates a beatuiful smoothie. I sometimes even put in one t of lowfat Peanut Butter and gives it another 7 grams of Protein. Maybe I shouldn't do that...but it is good.

I also use Peanut Butter with choc whey Protein. taste just like a reeses peanut butter cup.

Bananas can cause Constipation, so you;ll have to watch for that too. They are good for you and shouldn't hurt if you're using small ones and not too many a day.

Here's a good shake recipe:

Chocolate/Peanut Butter shake

1/2 cup fat-free milk

1 cup ice

1 scoop of vanilla Protein Mix (I use Matrix)

1 pkg SF Swiss Miss

1 TAB Peanut Butter

3 pkgs Splenda

Mix well in blender and enjoy! NOTE: I put my ice in first and crush it up well before adding milk and other ingredients.

My doc requires 5 servings of fruit and veggies a day. He has NO problem with banana and actually recommended them when I complained of leg cramps at night. I'm to eat 1/2 a banana as a serving. Fructose (in fruit) is not metabolized the same as sucrose, lactose, maltose etc. the nutrition you gain FAR outweighs the cost of the calories..... If you're not snacking, watching your fats and eating proper portions that shouldn't be an issue.

Gastric bypass people have to be super aware of their sugars because it generally leads to dumping, which is exactly what it sounds like. This happens because of the re-routing of the natural food path past some steps in digestion in the stomach. Bands don't re-route your food path and so the low sugar and carb levels in food aren't as critical.

You are right. Not all wls are built the same and this is a good example.

This recipe was given to us ifrom our doctors office.

Quick pick me up breakfast! Freeze the bananas with skin on (the skin will turn black but banana is still good) Try freezing this after it is prepared for an ice cream type treat.

1-2 servings

Fruity High Protien shake

1 banana, frozen

4 strawberries, frozen

1/2 cup lowfat yogurt

1 cup orange juice

1 scoop Protein powder

4 ice cubes

Put all ingreidents into blender or magic bullet. Blend until smothie consistency is reached.

To me, the banana would be the most worthwhile part of a Protein shake. If i ever drink them, they've always got a banana blended it. Fibre, potassium, Vitamins, minerals and antioxidands - good food.

Limiting donuts is one thing, limiting healthy fruit and veg is just silly.

27 carbs??? Holy cow! I had no idea! And, I think my bananas fell between medium and large. Ok, I feel better now, I just know to start picking the smaller bananas and I can stop feeling guilty about it!

Thank you everyone!

Well....there's carbs and there's carbs. Like several have said, bananas are good for you. Don't sweat 'em. If you're feeling guilty about the carb count, cut back elsewhere, but not in the fruits and veg department.

However with ANYTHING you can eat, too much of it can become bad for you.

Good point, with that said, if the OP added a half banana to their shake they might it helpful and save half the sugar. The other half will keep in the fridge in a small plastic bag for the next day.

OMG...now bananas are bad? Will it ever stop. People can find something wrong with anything. Childhood obesity has just been solved, its the bananas...

Sorry to be so sarcastic, but come on.

Edited by DanBar