Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Surgery is for this Thursday!!! I'm Nervous

Hello,

I just wanted to hear some encouraging words about having the band put on. I've read on here that a lot of people have problems with it. Should I cancel and have the whole bypass. Can people who have had some success, post your success stories? Thanks for listening.

Randy

Hi Randy,

You are on a lap band sight so I'm pretty sure that we will all tell you to stick with the band and not the bypass, there are so many more problems with the bypass and the band experience has been quite easy for me. Read all of the posts and go back through the before and after pictures and get yourself excited all over again about what the band can do for you. Again, I am partial, but don't give up either way. Good Luck.

Kim

Hey Randy,

I have spent 8 hours today reading scientific abstracts in preparation for my insurance appeal. While the data on the percentage of weight loss after 3 yrs is not certain (varying figures from 40% to 70% for both procedures!) the information on complications and mortality is clear in all of them. Mortality with with the By-pass is a minimum of 10 times higher, and life threatening complications are 3-4 times that of the LapBand.

There are complications with any surgical procedure - but the ones with the LapBand aren't likely to kill you...

Oh HONEY !!!!

I know your scared, I'm scared too. But I honestly believe this is the right way to go (or I wouldn't be doing it).

Just remember why you are doing it and keep that beautiful smile on your face !!

Please let us know when your home. I'll be praying for you.

HUGS !!!!

It's perfectly normal to be scared. But this is the safest surgery there is, and you will be fine!!! There is plenty of help for you on these boards, and lots of experienced people who can answer your questions.

Good luck!

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate your support, now I just have to get ready to go to the hospital.

Thanks for listening!

Randy

well, if you were not nervous, you probably aren't human, that or you are lieing! We really don't think you are lieing, since I think everybody was a complete wreck before their date ... :D

Hugs, and you will be just fine. And yes, none of us are going to tell you to get any other procedure :) We are funny that way!

Don't worry - you are choosing by far the safest route and I am sure you know that you need it or you wouldn't have it scheduled. This is a large site and not everyone has problems. If we all went back and counted our problems from before surgery you would be able to see the benefits we have experienced because of the surgery. Good luck - remember when you wake up you will have the "edge" you never had before to fight and "WIN" this weight loss battle.

Randy,

What you are feeling and thinking is perfectly normal. It's not anything different than what the rest of us felt and thought just before our surgeries. I have read a few posts from people who were just banded that were questioning their decisions immediately after their surgeries, as they were having a rougher time than most in their recovery process. Unfortunately, unless you have had surgery before, you may not know what to really expect as far as how you will recover. For myself, I have been through a ton of surgeries, everything from open heart to carpel tunnel. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, the lap band surgery would get a 3 on my scale. I had no problems, just some slight soreness in the muscle where the port was put in, and after a couple of days, I didn't even have that. But everyone is different. Because it's done laproscopically, it's a much less invasive surgery than one might think. I believe one of the biggest problems people have afterwards is the gas. Not everyone is subject to it, I had none, but a lot of people do. The solution is having some GasX in the house, because you may need it.

As for success stories, I would recommend you visit the Before/After pictures thread on this board. It's several pages long and chock full of some of the most inspirational pictures you could ever ask for. I love going there when I am frustrated with my weight, diet, exercise, or with myself in general.

My story is a little different than most, but then so am I, LOL :-]. I was banded in February 2002. Within 18 months I had lost over 120 lbs, when I freaked out psychologically and emotionally. I couldn't handle it, so I went and had all of the fill removed and over the course of a year put it all back on! Pretty dumb, I know, but that's what I did. Fortunately, I have received counseling and believe I have worked through these issues I was dealing with and after putting all of the weight back on, I decided it was time to lose it, this time for good. In the early part of August of this year, I went in for a fill and have been losing ever since. That's the beauty of the band, if you need to readjust your thinking and take a little break you can!!! The band will still be there patiently waiting for you to come to your senses.

As far as the problems some people have had, unfortunately there are always some percentage of people who will end up with something going wrong. That's a small risk, one most of us felt, was worth taking. Questioning this over the gastric bypass, that's normal too. I have had that thought many times, but the truth of the matter, my decision not to have the RNY was well founded. For me the risks were too high. I believe this is a much safer option and actually feel, that this is much healthier, IMHO.

I wish you all the best and will keep you in my prayers that everything goes extremely well for you with the surgery, the recovery and the weight loss journey.

Cindy

I feel with you and for you. I am going the 28 for surgery. I am scared one day and fine the next. It helps me to think of the numerous 10 and 20 lbs that I have lost......and the 15 and 25 that were gained back. Obviously 'dieting' just doesnt work for some of us, for whatever reasons. I keep reading these posts and how everyone is so grateful to finally have something that actually helps with this battle for our health and reaching a reasonable weight. Cold feet are normal, remember that before you know it you will be in, out, and on the path to successful weight loss. Just hang in there.

(and read these posts like an obsessed person, it really helps with the motivation and reassurance.)

Randy-

Like others have said-folks get nervous. I'm nervous too-my surgery is Oct 31. Just did more pre-op stuff. Adjusting to the liquid diet. But, it's all worth it. I want to be healthier-and be around for family and friends.

You've invested a lot of time/research for the lapband. Make it so.....

Positive thoughts your way.

Mikie